PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome 3.0 and unity

coreyscx
November 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
so im a bit confused i know gnome 3 will come out in april of 2011 just like the new ubuntu 11.04, but for some weird reason i could have swore i saw an interview with mark shuttleworth where he discussed unity and how it was for the netbooks but then i thought he said it would also be on the desktop version as well?? so will unity also be for desktops? will there be a choice just like gnome kde or unity for desktop? thanks guys :)

3Miro
November 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Unity and Gnome-shell will be two different "flavours" of Gnome 3.0. Ubuntu will default to Unity, however, it will be different from the one that you currently have on the Netbooks. I am sure, ultimately both Unity and Gnome-shell will be available for people to use.

Der Ritter
November 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
so im a bit confused i know gnome 3 will come out in april of 2011 just like the new ubuntu 11.04, but for some weird reason i could have swore i saw an interview with mark shuttleworth where he discussed unity and how it was for the netbooks but then i thought he said it would also be on the desktop version as well?? so will unity also be for desktops? will there be a choice just like gnome kde or unity for desktop? thanks guys :)

Yes. Users of regular Ubuntu will be forced to switch to Unity beginning with 11.04. Apparently you will be able to switch to GNOME (through the login window maybe), and of course you can install Kubuntu to switch to KDE.

3Miro
November 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Unity is Gnome. The difference between Unity and Gnome-shell is like between Compiz and Metacity. Right now you can chose to run Ubuntu with Gnome and Compiz for effects or Metacity without effects. In the case of Unity, you will have the choice of Gnome + Unity for effects or Gnome + Gnome-shell for effects. The default will be Unity and worst case scenario you will have to get Gnome-shell from the Software Center.

TheAnachron
November 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Developers said there is a special version from Unity that will be completely different to the netbooks edition, so it will fit to desktops.