PDA

View Full Version : compiz, emerald, & WMs ...

user1397
November 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
so correct me if i am wrong, but my understanding is the following:

-compiz is a window manager, like metacity or openbox or kwin.

-emerald is a window decorator (which is what exactly? like, what are the default window decorators for gnome, kde, etc)

-compiz and kwin are compositing window managers, while metacity and openbox etc are stacking window managers

is this all correct?

slackthumbz
November 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
so correct me if i am wrong, but my understanding is the following:

-compiz is a window manager, like metacity or openbox or kwin.

-emerald is a window decorator (which is what exactly? like, what are the default window decorators for gnome, kde, etc)

-compiz and kwin are compositing window managers, while metacity and openbox etc are stacking window managers

is this all correct?

No, Metacity can also be used as a window decorator in compiz (I think) either that or the default compiz window decorator uses metacity settings (since it responds appropriately to any gconf changes to metacity)

Spice Weasel
November 2nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
There are very few non-tiling WMs that don't also work as window decorators. EvilWM is one of them, so is Compiz.

This is a very good explanation of how these things work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvbAawBGmgE

Pogeymanz
November 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
No, Metacity can also be used as a window decorator in compiz (I think) either that or the default compiz window decorator uses metacity settings (since it responds appropriately to any gconf changes to metacity)

Metacity is not a decorator. gtk-window-decorator can inherit metacity's themes.

Most WM's are their own decorators, but Compiz is just a WM so you need a decorator.

3Miro
November 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Most WM come with their own decorators, compiz can use one of Emerald, gtk-window-decorator or kde-window-decorator (the last two use metacity and kwin themes).

Openbox is the only strictly stacking manager that I know of. Compiz is the only strictly composing WM. The others can have composition either enabled or disabled. Kwin, Metacity and Xfwm4 can go either way.

Pogeymanz
November 3rd, 2010, 02:08 AM
Openbox is the only strictly stacking manager that I know of.

You don't know of very many window managers, do you? ;-)

Openbox, Blackbox, PekWM, Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM, EvilWM, Sawfish...

3Miro
November 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM
You don't know of very many window managers, do you? ;-)

Openbox, Blackbox, PekWM, Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM, EvilWM, Sawfish...

Yes. I have heard of many of those, but I have only used Openbox so I didn't want to make assumptions.