PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Question about witch install iso to use?

Jynks
November 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hi...

I am looking to try out xubuntu (i heard that is better for lower end systems) but on teh xubuntu site ther link to download opens a ftp dir looking thing with a ton of different files in it...

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/xubuntu/10.10/release/

Should I get "xubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso" or "xubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso" I obviously do not need teh 64bit versions... but what is the difference between alternative and desktop?.

qamelian
November 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
The desktop version is a live CD that let's you "test drive" the OS to ensure that it works with your hardware before you install. The alternative version is a text based installer that can be used to install the OS if some quirk in the gui installer prevents it from installing correctly on you hardware. You should probably opt for the desktop version first.

Jynks
November 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
The desktop version is a live CD that let's you "test drive" the OS to ensure that it works with your hardware before you install. The alternative version is a text based installer that can be used to install the OS if some quirk in the gui installer prevents it from installing correctly on you hardware. You should probably opt for the desktop version first.

Thanks for the quick response.... cheers