PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.10 install failed

Advait
November 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on a Toshiba Tecra A8-EZ8311 laptop with 60gb hard drive and 512 mb ram and Intel Celeron M CPU. The laptop has an old version of Windows XP that no longer works well. The touchpad does not work but the Ubuntu install program recognizes the USB mouse. The laptop has a CD/DVD player but does not play DVDs. When I tried to install Ubuntu using DVD media, it did not work at all. When I tried using CD media, it got only so far and stopped (please see attached pics to see where it stopped). The "Forward" button was grayed out and I couldn't go forward.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 over the old Windows OS. I want the old Windows OS wiped out. All my old data has been backed up.

Any ideas? Any way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Quackers
November 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
It seems that you haven't put in a password. In Ubuntu you must use a password and then confirm it in the second box.

TBABill
November 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Did you enter the password and enter it again to confirm it? Or did you leave it blank for the snapshot intentionally?

Advait
November 3rd, 2010, 12:56 AM
Problem solved.

I entered in the password earlier, but it didn't work. I just made a new Ubuntu CD and now its working. Yay! I'm converting a friend over to Ubuntu. He is not computer literate and was unable to use Windows without filling it up with malware. From what I can determine, he'll be able to browse safely with Ubuntu.

Thanks again for your help. This forum is always terrific.

Tom