PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having issues installing 10.10

and2me
November 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
First off I am new to all variations of Linux. I have a Gateway laptop currently running Win Vista Home Basic. I have grown tired of repeatedly reinstalling this OS so I thought I would give Ubuntu a shot. The laptop is running a 1.6 GHz Celeron, 1470 MB of RAM, and has an 80 Gig hard drive.

My problem is that I cannot get Ubuntu to load/install. I cannot run it from CD, I cannot setup as dual boot, and I cannot setup as a standalone. I am not worried about wiping out my Vista, as I said I have grown tired of it. OH and I cannot locate my Vista install disk at this time either. Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

and2me
November 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I have the same issue with Fedora and Knoppix.

TheAnachron
November 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
You can install it from USB as well.
Have you checked your BIOS to support cd bootup before hdd bootup?

and2me
November 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
You can install it from USB as well.
Have you checked your BIOS to support cd bootup before hdd bootup?

Yes it starts to load and brings up the purple screen then goes black with a blinking "cursor" at the top left of the screen, but that is where it remains; it simply will not go any further. I have scanned the drive with TrendMicro antivirus and Malwarebytes, and I have done a Windows disk check as well. All three of my CDs work on my other laptop so I am running Ubuntu and Fedora in a virtual environment, but the Gateway is the one I want to do a full install on.

pac0124
November 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
You may start looking in the BIOS and turn off, if enabled the BIOS caching or video caching. Make sure you have not set the option to monitor the boot sector for viruses, if it's enabled, disable it.. I have had this problem with several PC's in the past. Just disable things one at a time, that way you know which one was the culprit and you don't disable anything unnecessarily.

pac

and2me
November 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Well I have gone through my Bios settings, not much available to change, and I am still unsuccessful in installing Ubuntu 10.10. Any other suggestions before I kick myself for wiping out my Windows install? I have also tried installing 10.04 LTS with no luck. I have tried doing this with CD and USB drive.

and2me
November 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM
So I finally broke down and installed a copy of Win XP on my laptop thinking I would install 10.10 along side of it. After installing 10.10 and selecting to boot into Ubuntu I reach the screen that says "press ESC for additional boot options" it does the 5 second countdown and then sits there doing absolutely nothing.