PDA

View Full Version : Do you use P2P/Bittorrent Programs ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I personally don't use P2P but I occasionally use bittorrent for legal files. Right now in Azureus, I am seeding the ubuntu i386 dapper iso and once I seed that for 1-2 hours, I will start seeding breezy. Do you use P2P or Bittorrent programs ?

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM
is what your downloading legal ?

not in all countys...:p

bored2k
April 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Do you use P2P or Bittorrent programs and is what your downloading legal ?
Is that like a trick question? Of course!

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Is that like a trick question? Of course!
lol, I removed that question. Kinda pointless x_x

bored2k
April 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Do you use P2P or Bittorrent programs ?Yes , I do use P2P applications. The ones I currently use (my prefered) are:

BitTorrent
Soulseek (via the Nicotine client on linux)
Limewire

lazyd2
April 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Yes,

Azureus
aMule
Nicotine(I have it installed, but haven't tried it yet)

majikstreet
April 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
yes.
gtk-gnutella for regular p2p
freeloader (as of 4/16/06) for bittorrent (also a download manager)

Ob1
April 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I use the Ktorrent bittorent client.

MethodOne
April 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I use Azureus and µTorrent mainly for downloading Linux distros.

hizaguchi
April 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I occasionally toy with the notion that I'll install a P2P client and download all the CDs that I've legally purchased but have broken/lost/had stolen by friends, but I never do. Not because of any legal or ethical restrictions. Just because I'm too lazy. Same deal with Streamripper. :)

BWF89
April 17th, 2006, 12:26 AM
LimeWire
BitTornado

DigitalDuality
April 17th, 2006, 04:19 AM
i don't steal,

stealing implies ownership. I copy.

eriqk
April 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Azureus, SoulSeek, Nicotine.

Groet, Erik

void_false
April 17th, 2006, 04:26 PM
What is it legal? Is it legal if I download music? Is it legal if I record music from TV or radio?
Yeah, sure I BitTorrent with ktorrent and visit different sites for new tasty stuff. :cool:

joselin
April 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I use it. I have a dedicated computer to it.

I use aMule and azureus.

polo_step
April 18th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I can't get aMule to work in 5.10.

I start it, try to get the serverlist and when I click, I get:

==============
Failed to load server.met file '/home/anonymous/.aMule/server.met.download', unknown format encountered.
==============

Any thoughts about that?

I've just been running 5.10 for a couple of days and this is one of the few real problems I've had. 5.04 was an utter nosebleed for me, but aMule worked. Now, it's the other way around. :confused:

polo_step
April 18th, 2006, 07:28 AM
For that matter, Azureus doesn't work either.

I load it and it says that I have to update the plugins, then automatically tries to do it and fails.

Any thoughts on that?

Lots of fun tonight! ;)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
For that matter, Azureus doesn't work either.

I load it and it says that I have to update the plugins, then automatically tries to do it and fails.

Any thoughts on that?

Lots of fun tonight! ;)
Run it as root and it will apply the patch. Then exit and then start ut back up as non-root.

polo_step
April 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Run it as root and it will apply the patch. Then exit and then start ut back up as non-root.
OK, will give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

angkor
April 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Azureus
Nicotine
Frostwire

I have some movies about which I'm not too sure whether the uploader paid the copyright owners. ;)

Downloading music is not illegal (uploading is) where I live (yet). I have quite a library in amarok at the moment. ;)

woedend
April 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
gtk-gnutella all the way.

imagine
April 19th, 2006, 12:46 AM
A remotely controlled MLDonkey all the way. I don't like that program, but it's powerful.
With the Bittorrent and Edonkey (incl Overnet/Kademlia) plugins.

stimpack
April 19th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Azureus, used it for years, when I switched to Linux, yay a Linux version!. I find it quite seed friendly, I like keep track of how much Ive seeded.

super
April 19th, 2006, 03:29 AM
yes i p2p and torrent

i mostly download television programs from torrents and stream them elsewhere in my house to watch. i don't think this illegal. i don't download a lot of music but i think where i live the illegality is in distributing them, not in downloading.

i use:
frostwire
azureus
rtorrent

like joselin i too have a computer dedicated to that sole purpose.

djlosch
May 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
my headless bt machine:
-- 400 mhz, 128 mb ram, 60 gig hd
-- ubuntu server + fluxbox + azureus downloading constantly. files that finish get moved to the "completed" folder
-- samba server shares the "completed" folder and the "torrent" folder with my network, with r/w access. when i want to dl something, i just throw the torrent in the torrent share, and azureus autoscans/starts it. once something shows up in the completed folder, i check the quality and then move it to my mythtv box.

this summer i'm going to drop flux and azureus and switch to rtorrent to save resources. im then going to write a script that would scan the completed folder every hour, and if something is new, i'd get a notification on my cell phone that it finished.

moving p2p off to another machine is so nice, especially bc multiple open torrents is a bastard to my other machine i was running it on.

now i just need to find out how to set up streamripper + streamtuner in some command line fashion so i can have new mp3s constantly coming in

biarritz
May 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM
When i get time amule & bittorent