View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird Video Problem

November 2nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
So I was watching film on my PC (scott pilgrim vs. the world) 720 BRRip, using VLC player

i noticed that when there were fast scenes picture kinda gets cut of from the middle and stuff, something like frame drop but not exactly same.

tried in Windows 7 and no problem at all..

Edit: i also tried other videos like Dexter (TV Show) 720 .mkv file and same problem.

any fix to this? can't post screen shot because when i pause the video picture is fine.

PC Specs:
Q8200 Quad
Nvidia 8600GT

November 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM
It looks like that is due to the lack of video hardware acceleration. As far as I known, the repository version of VLC is a little behind the windows version (which has experimental support for it).

The easiest way to get good HD play is:

Install the nvidia driver.
Install libvdpau1.
Install mplayer (excellent player, but complicated interface).
Install smplayer (nice GUI for mplayer).

After that you open smplayer and go to Options -> Preferences -> General -> Video tab. Select vdpau as Output driver.

That should do it. Use smplayer to see your HD movies.

Good Luck!

November 2nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
mplayer was already installed

unless you are referring to mplayer Media Player?

November 2nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
mplayer was already installed...

Nevertheless, nvidia harware acceleration (vdpau) on mplayer is only achievable with both the nvidia driver, and libvdpau1.

VLC is not "related" to mplayer. It won't change playing quality if mplayer is installed.

November 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
done everything in earlier post and tried the mkv file in smplayer and still same problem.

November 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
It doesnt sound like frameskipping due to cpu load/VDPAU. His cpu is probably fast enough to do it without VDPAU. Sounds more like tearing due to vsync? If you are using compiz (desktop effects), try installing ccsm and experiment with

Settings -> General Options -> Display Settings -> Sync To VBlank

Or set it in your nvidia drivers and turn desktop effects off to see if that solves it.

November 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
@p4man have tried you solution yet but just noticed that its same with even YouTube videos :|

November 3rd, 2010, 12:01 AM

November 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM