PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why so many grub.cfgs?

bkline
November 1st, 2010, 11:00 PM
I upgraded my main workstation from 10.4 to 10.10 yesterday and was a little concerned that a kept seeing the upgrade software perform the same step of generating grub.cfg over and over. I went back to the logs and I counted nine (9!) repetitions of this same task. Can someone tell me what is accomplished by doing this so many times if it's all going to result in a single file?

Quackers
November 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
I've upgraded to 10.10 twice and I must say that I didn't notice any repetitions like that. Is your system booting alright? Does the grub menu appear to be normal and all items work?

oldfred
November 1st, 2010, 11:55 PM
I have not upgraded for awhile but noticed it running several times on new install. I have multiple installs so it takes a minute or two so I do see it running. I thought one or two versions ago I saw a bug report complaining about it and they were going to improve it. The grub update seems to be triggers on a variety of updates, each kernel, each grub change and maybe one or two other things. It would make sense to postpone those and just once it once at the end.

coffeecat
November 2nd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Can someone tell me what is accomplished by doing this so many times if it's all going to result in a single file?

Quite!

I've seen something similar when uninstalling three old kernels in Lucid. The system ran update-grub after each kernel was uninstalled rather than just doing it once at the end. But I'd be interested to know what triggered nine occasions.

bkline
November 2nd, 2010, 01:16 AM
I've upgraded to 10.10 twice and I must say that I didn't notice any repetitions like that. Is your system booting alright? Does the grub menu appear to be normal and all items work?

I haven't noticed any ill effects, at least not yet. It just left me with the impression that the upgrade software wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to be doing.