PDA

View Full Version : Hm..I'm back

~LoKe
November 1st, 2010, 10:51 PM
I've been out of the UNIX scene for a while now. The military took up all my free time to tinker with things so I left my desktop with Ubuntu (Intrepid) at home. Finally got it up and running again (it's in the process of updating to Maverick, and will fail miserably).

I'd like to see if there's anything new and exciting that has come out since I was last around. I'm gonna have to check out the screenshot thread and look for all the cool stuff. 8)

medic2000
November 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
Are you working in the military? Oh man it sucks...

Welcome back by the way :)

~LoKe
November 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah I'm still in. Three years and counting.

kaldor
November 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Well...

1) open Broadcom drivers on the way.
2) Ubuntu isn't brown anymore (!)
3) AMD drivers are not crap anymore for Linux

Probably some more cool stuff happened in the last 3 years, but I dunno.

Welcome back :)

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hm...damn, looks like I broke it. Not that I'm surprised.

Going to have to track down an optical driver and an Ubuntu CD.

wilee-nilee
November 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hm...damn, looks like I broke it. Not that I'm surprised.

Going to have to track down an optical driver and an Ubuntu CD.

If you have a thumb drive there are great loaders for MS and opensource setups. Of course it helps if your computer will boot from a usb drive.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

There is the on board Ubuntu startup disc creator as well and pendrivelinux has several thumb loaders along with one that you can load up with multiple distros.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
For some reason I still don't have a thumb drive. However, assuming I can boot from USB, should I be able to load this onto an SD card and plug that in via USB and install?

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Installing this now. Would be badass if this worked.

wilee-nilee
November 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
For some reason I still don't have a thumb drive. However, assuming I can boot from USB, should I be able to load this onto an SD card and plug that in via USB and install?

Theoretically yes, and it sounds like your trying it, may the open source force be with you.;)

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
I don't think it's going to work, haha.

I tried formatting my blackberry's SD card and installing one of the apps you suggested. My computer tried booting it then said it failed. Will keep trying

wilee-nilee
November 2nd, 2010, 01:14 AM
I don't think it's going to work, haha.

I tried formatting my blackberry's SD card and installing one of the apps you suggested. My computer tried booting it then said it failed. Will keep trying

With trying to boot a specific device or media there is a per session key prompt to bring up the choice menu. Mine is f12 this if pressed several times on starting the computer brings me to a post bios menu. Yours might be another key.

If you had a sd slot it might be different I don't know I haven't tried loading a sd card to run or boot, I have none.

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 01:42 AM
No joy. It was worth a shot.

-gabe-noob-
November 2nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
Oh dude, I swear you were here back when I started tooo welcome back ( I just came back too)

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 03:25 AM
I got it working by using a flash card and adapter. Not sure why this worked and not the other way, but oh well. It was hanging on the splash screen but I fixed that.

Installing!

CraigPaleo
November 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
Karmic Testing?? You have been gone a long time! Welcome back!!!:)

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 03:34 AM
Karmic Testing?? You have been gone a long time! Welcome back!!!:)

I'm not even sure I made it that far. I think the last distro I successfully installed was Intrepid.

Regardless, thank you!

~LoKe
November 2nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Very impressed with it so far. All my devices worked immediately, including my wireless card. Never expected that, haha.

Oxwivi
November 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Touchscreen support is something definitely new. :D And the not-so-popular Unity.