PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Eclipse Helios via aptitude - Updates?

CyberRascal
November 1st, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hi, I just used

apt-get install eclipse-platform

to install Eclipse on my maverick. As I started it, I realized I got the second latest version of Eclipse - galileo. Still trying to wrap my head around using aptitude, so I was wondering - why is this? Did I use the wrong name? Is it simply because they haven't updated the repository? Thanks!

cipherboy_loc
November 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
I also noticed that. After a bit of Googling, I noticed an outdated Launchpad repository (https://launchpad.net/~eclipse-team/+archive/ppa), but nothing else. Thus I think your best bet is simply to download the archive of Helios from their web site and extract it in /opt, and add /opt/eclipse to your $PATH variable.

mikewhatever
November 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
Probably the second. Many packages in the repositories are not the newest version.

af207
March 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM
That's what i've been doing, installing it into /opt. But now i'm using the Netbook remix and the menu for helios no longer appears. But it still appears when I use galileo which had been install from the ubuntu software center. are there any workarounds to access the menu in helios? ...

af207
March 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ok. I just found the answer. I was looking in the script to run Galileo as installed from the ubuntu software center. There was this line:
export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0
Apparently this prevents its menu from integrating with the highly problematic "mutter". When i made a script with this line to start helios, it worked fine ...