PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] can't install linux anymore

mephisto56
November 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
I can install vista and run part magic from cd. But I can't run ubuntu/xubuntu/opensuse from a cd nor usb. Everytime I get a weird screen where there should have been the desktop. Even more, I even get my last used linux desktop scrambled. Absolutely no idea how to get this right.

jrev
November 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
This means that you can start a Live-CD session but when it comes to the Desktop the screen is blurred or garbled ?
that this happens only with the Ubuntu CD's is something very unlikely

mephisto56
November 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
This means that you can start a Live-CD session but when it comes to the Desktop the screen is blurred or garbled ?

For example when I choose try xubuntu without installing I see the startup loading, then when the desktop should appear (I don't remember a login in live sessions) there is the weird scrambling.

mephisto56
November 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
?
that this happens only with the Ubuntu CD's is something very unlikely

your edit: it happens with other linux variants too. It doesn't happen with part magic (some old version I still have).

eblume
November 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Try downloading and booting from Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/). The rule of thumb is that "If Knoppix can't boot it, it doesn't boot." If Knoppix DOES boot your machine without errors, the problem is with Ubuntu (or more probably, with the specific CD you burned Ubuntu on to - probably a scratch or a data error -- but also possibly a driver error in the Ubuntu system software). If Knoppix DOESN'T boot without error but Windows *does*, then something very, very fishy is going on.

mephisto56
November 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
Try downloading and booting from Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/). The rule of thumb is that "If Knoppix can't boot it, it doesn't boot." If Knoppix DOES boot your machine without errors, the problem is with Ubuntu (or more probably, with the specific CD you burned Ubuntu on to - probably a scratch or a data error -- but also possibly a driver error in the Ubuntu system software). If Knoppix DOESN'T boot without error but Windows *does*, then something very, very fishy is going on.

Done. Knoppix loads into the text mode. If I choose 'load full graphical version' it hangs like the rest does. I can even see the last used vista wallpaper scrambled. From there on I can only power off as usual.

jrev
November 2nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Did you try with a previous issue of Ubuntu for example ubuntu 10.04 LTS ?

mephisto56
November 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Did you try with a previous issue of Ubuntu for example ubuntu 10.04 LTS ?

I still had 8.08 on disc and tried it. Same result. I can install debian through the text install. When it is installed booting into it gives again the same error.

mephisto56
November 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
I did a complete factory reset of the laptop and the problem still occurs.

jrev
November 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I never heard of this case before !
If all Linux OS cannot boot on this laptop but Windows does, there is only one solution Keep Windows running on this PC and buy any other computer to enjoy Linux :)

mephisto56
November 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I wanted to install with Wubi and use it that way, but unfortunately it also has the same problem. Really weird.