PDA

View Full Version : help me get rid of ubuntu

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Ok i'm not sure if i'm in the right place..I desperately need to get windows vista back and un-install ubuntu, its been an absolute nightmare and very very user unfriendly. when i load my laptop up the only options im getting is to run ubuntu or recover vista(which i done)..please help me get vista back and get rid of this awful complicated ubuntu (it should come with a warning....(for pc geeks only)

NertSkull
November 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Sad to see you go.

But a few more details may be helpful.

If you installed it as a dual boot, it should be relatively straight forward to remove it

If you installed it inside of windows then it should be even easier. I've never done it that way, but from my understanding you can just remove it like a normal program.

Anyway, point is how did you install it in the first place?

kaldor
November 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Ok i'm not sure if i'm in the right place..I desperately need to get windows vista back and un-install ubuntu, its been an absolute nightmare and very very user unfriendly. when i load my laptop up the only options im getting is to run ubuntu or recover vista(which i done)..please help me get vista back and get rid of this awful complicated ubuntu (it should come with a warning....(for pc geeks only)

It's not hard to use, you probably had driver issues or software problems.

As for getting Vista back, did you back it up or keep the partition? If not, then there's nothing you can do.

I suggest you just buy a copy of Windows 7 or try to fix your issues with Ubuntu. Either would be a good idea.

Good luck!

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM
It's not hard to use, you probably had driver issues or software problems.

As for getting Vista back, did you back it up or keep the partition? If not, then there's nothing you can do.

I suggest you just buy a copy of Windows 7 or try to fix your issues with Ubuntu. Either would be a good idea.

Good luck!

I re-loaded vista again but i cant get the option to load vista....i think loads of people will find ubuntu hard to use as people are used to downloading..installing then just clicking programs. ubuntu is working ok i think but i dont like it and its not as good as i thought

Lancro
November 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Use your vista DvD, boot from it, enter repair mode, dont select your vista install, and youll be commanded to command prompt, there type bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr, that should take out grub, so vista will boot, then use vista to recover the partitions.

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Sad to see you go.

If you installed it as a dual boot, it should be relatively straight forward to remove it

If you installed it inside of windows then it should be even easier. I've never done it that way, but from my understanding you can just remove it like a normal program.

I downloaded it then put it on a flash drive and set my boot up to the usb drive

kaldor
November 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
I re-loaded vista again but i cant get the option to load vista....i think loads of people will find ubuntu hard to use as people are used to downloading..installing then just clicking programs. ubuntu is working ok i think but i dont like it and its not as good as i thought

That's just the thing... would I come to Windows and expect to use the terminal/Software Centre to install software? It all comes down to how much effort you want to put into trying something different.

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM
That's just the thing... would I come to Windows and expect to use the terminal/Software Centre to install software? It all comes down to how much effort you want to put into trying something different.

i use a few programs (which according to ubuntu forums it cant handle ) so its no good to me

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Use your vista DvD, boot from it, enter repair mode, dont select your vista install, and youll be commanded to command prompt, there type bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr, that should take out grub, so vista will boot, then use vista to recover the partitions.

I didnt get the repair option so i reloaded vista and it did recover partition 2 but everytime i boot up my laptop i only get options to run ubuntu or recover vista

ugm6hr
November 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
I downloaded it then put it on a flash drive and set my boot up to the usb drive

What option did you select during the install?
If you chose to use the whole drive, you have probably wiped Vista, and possibly even your recovery partition.

Did you get a Vista DVD with your computer?

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Sad to see you go.

i did install it inside of windows

Half-Left
November 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
So you used the wubi installer? If you did then you can uninstall Ubuntu via the usual way you uninstall software in Windows.

Zzl1xndd
November 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM

Did you install from the USB? If not then you should be able to just remove the USB Key and reboot. If you did install, Are you able to boot into Windows at all? If you can't you might want to follow Lancro advice and fix the MBR.

Also Ubuntu and Linux can be a Change. I would say dual boot for a while and give it a try. You might like it. A lot of new users have something of a shock because things are done very differently.

For example Software installs (for the most part) are done through the software centre (Similar to how you would do it on an Android or iPhone).

You can go to websites and install in a similar fashion to Windows but you would want a .deb in place of an .exe.

Also don't mind the people telling you that you aren't smart or are not willing to try something new, they are probably just upset as you kind of insulted something they like.

ugm6hr
November 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
i did install it inside of windows

Really? That is not what it sounds like.
If you don't understand, then please describe exactly what you did, with a description of every screen you recall, and what you clicked on.
Unfortunately, trying to help you reverse something without knowing what you did is very difficult....

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Im going to try and uninstall ubuntu completely see what happens then..I cant find any other option anywhere..thanks to those that tried to help

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Did you install from the USB? If not then you should be able to just remove the USB Key and reboot. If you did install, Are you able to boot into Windows at all? If you can't you might want to follow Lancro advice and fix the MBR.

Also Ubuntu and Linux can be a Change. I would say dual boot for a while and give it a try. You might like it. A lot of new users have something of a shock because things are done very differently.

For example Software installs (for the most part) are done through the software centre (Similar to how you would do it on an Android or iPhone).

You can go to websites and install in a similar fashion to Windows but you would want a .deb in place of an .exe.

Also don't mind the people telling you that you aren't smart or are not willing to try something new, they are probably just upset as you kind of insulted something they like.

I dont need the usb drive in to load it ! It automatically loads

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Really? That is not what it sounds like.
If you don't understand, then please describe exactly what you did, with a description of every screen you recall, and what you clicked on.
Unfortunately, trying to help you reverse something without knowing what you did is very difficult....

Ok i downloaded ubuntu then right clicked and sent it to the flash drive...i changed the boot up to boot on my flash drive and then went through the procedure to install ubuntu..it asked did i want to partition the disk i think it was a 58gb partition it went on

Brent0
November 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
I dont need the usb drive in to load it ! It automatically loads

When you went to install did you choose the option "Use entire disk"? Or did you manually specify where to install Ubuntu? I have a feeling you erased Vista and are wondering where it went.

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
When you went to install did you choose the option "Use entire disk"? Or did you manually specify where to install Ubuntu? I have a feeling you erased Vista and are wondering where it went.

I probably did but when I check it seems to say I have a partitioned disk..the one with ubuntu 58gb

cariboo
November 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Try this (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/), it should solve your vista problem.

ugm6hr
November 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I probably did but when I check it seems to say I have a partitioned disk..the one with ubuntu 58gb

How big is the whole HD?

Maybe you could use Ubuntu to find your Vista files, if they are still there.

Is the Vista partition visible from Ubuntu?

Did you have any important files that are not backed up?

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 08:52 PM
Try this (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/), it should solve your vista problem.

I have the 2 recovery disks for vista...on one boot up I recovered vista and went through all the process but i still dont have the option to load vista when i boot up

anewguy
November 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Is that the only partition that shows? Just Ubuntu and perhaps swap? If so, then you have lost your Vista installation. If not, it should be as others have said - boot the Vista installation CD, go to repair, then fixmbr.

Also - I'm not going to hold it against you for wanting to go back to Windows. My thing is to each his own. Could you do me a favor in return? Instead of saying how nasty Ubuntu is, how about just saying it isn't for you? Everything is just a matter of the effort put in to it - Windows is no different. I say let the user use whatever OS they feel comfortable in and can accomplish what they want to.

If possible, could you boot your USB installation media but don't install - just ask to run from it without changing your current system. Once there, run the disk manager and see what it says you have for partitions and post that back here. We can try to help you get back to Vista if we really know what's out there. If you need any help trying to do that, just post back.

Dave ;)

pizza-is-good
November 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Are you running ubuntu to post?

If so, can you go to the Terminal (Command Prompt) in Ubuntu?
Try typing
sudo fdisk -l, hit enter, enter your password (you won't see it), and hit enter, and then post the output of that to us. It would help us a LOT.

I will echo what above users have said: We are willing to help you, but please know that we have no obligation to do so, and if you continue to bash on the Operating System we all like to use, you may find that there are users here who would be more inclined to let you deal with your problem on your own.

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Im not on to bash it im on to get help..i tried it...didnt like it...it doesn't serve my purpose and yes im on it now...connection to my router was good and yes when i connect to the internet its good but i have many programmes it just doesnt suit

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 1306 10490413+ 27 Unknown
/dev/sda2 * 1307 11540 82199175+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 11540 19458 63599617 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 11540 19129 60959744 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 19129 19458 2638848 82 Linux swap / Solaris

NertSkull
November 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Really I think we all need more information if you are to get vista back.

1. How exactly did you install it? Wubi? dual boot? Fresh full HD install?

2. Can you get into vista in any way? Does it even try to boot? Or can it not boot?

3. Do you have important files you still need on the vista or ubuntu partition? Or can we wipe the entire computer with a fresh vista install?

4. Do you only have recovery vista disks? Do they have the full OS so you can re-install it? Or is it one of those set ups where the recovery OS is on a separate partition?

There's lots more, but some basics will be needed.

The easiest and most likely to succeed under any circumstance is to just wipe everything and re-install vista from scratch. Ubuntu will be gone and you'll have vista back. But you'll lose any data not backed up. But you'll gain the advantage of fresh windows installs are always cleaner and better than old installs with lots of junk and bloatware.

anewguy
November 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
PLEASE:

- open a terminal window (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)
- type:

sudo fdisk -l (that's a lower case "L")

- copy (like a screenshot) and post the results back here

We really have no way to determine exactly what is going on without it, and it is useless for us to keep replying until we get that information.

I suggest that unless we get that information, we should no longer reply at all. Why? It's been asked for in many different ways with no clear answer. Without a clear answer, we can only assume you are here to bitch instead of truely looking for help.

Dave

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM
Really I think we all need more information if you are to get vista back.

1. How exactly did you install it? Wubi? dual boot? Fresh full HD install?

2. Can you get into vista in any way? Does it even try to boot? Or can it not boot?

3. Do you have important files you still need on the vista or ubuntu partition? Or can we wipe the entire computer with a fresh vista install?

4. Do you only have recovery vista disks? Do they have the full OS so you can re-install it? Or is it one of those set ups where the recovery OS is on a separate partition?

There's lots more, but some basics will be needed.

The easiest and most likely to succeed under any circumstance is to just wipe everything and re-install vista from scratch. Ubuntu will be gone and you'll have vista back. But you'll lose any data not backed up. But you'll gain the advantage of fresh windows installs are always cleaner and better than old installs with lots of junk and bloatware.

I dont have any important files as i backed them all up on a portable hard drive..yes its only the recovery disks that sets the laptop back to factory default

Rubi1200
November 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 1306 10490413+ 27 Unknown
/dev/sda2 * 1307 11540 82199175+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 11540 19458 63599617 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 11540 19129 60959744 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 19129 19458 2638848 82 Linux swap / Solaris

In order to get a definitive overview of your current situation (and help you), please use Ubuntu to run the script that is linked at the bottom of my post.

The output of fdisk seems to indicate that there is still a Windows partition on sda2, but I am concerned about the results for sda1.

Wrap the text with the # tag when posting the results back here please.

Thanks.

cgroza
November 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM

Are you from a paralel universe where Ubuntntu does not have a software centre? And please don't share your experience with other people because you did not followed the instructions.

I think you have difficulties learning the new system, it would me much easyer if you would stop trying to do things the windows way.

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM
PLEASE:

- open a terminal window (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)
- type:

sudo fdisk -l (that's a lower case "L")

- copy (like a screenshot) and post the results back here

We really have no way to determine exactly what is going on without it, and it is useless for us to keep replying until we get that information.

I suggest that unless we get that information, we should no longer reply at all. Why? It's been asked for in many different ways with no clear answer. Without a clear answer, we can only assume you are here to bitch instead of truely looking for help.

Dave

if I was on to bitch I would have used stronger words than..its a nightmare and it doesnt serve my purpose...all i want is my laptop back to the way it was and I can say I have tried ubuntu after a year of thinking about it...

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
Are you from a paralel universe where Ubuntntu does not have a software centre? And please don't share your experience with other people because you did not followed the instructions.

I think you have difficulties learning the new system, it would me much easyer if you would stop trying to do things the windows way.

I have to agree with you about that I suppose after nearly 18 years of using windows its hard to think of any other way..I was willing to give ubuntu a try if I could have used both but its my fault the way I installed ubuntu and although it was no good for some programmes I use i would have used it for internet browsing

balloooza
November 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
Keep it classy people.

davidmohammed
November 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
I have to agree with you about that I suppose after nearly 18 years of using windows its hard to think of any other way..I was willing to give ubuntu a try if I could have used both but its my fault the way I installed ubuntu and although it was no good for some programmes I use i would have used it for internet browsing

what windows programs can't you use in ubuntu?

Rubi1200
November 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Keep it classy people.
+1 !!

@firefox599

Did you see my post requesting the boot-script information?

Elfy
November 1st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Keep this to support please - enough with the name-calling.

firefox599
November 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
ok enough is enough..i didnt expect fanboy abuse but thanks to those who did try and help..im going to format the whole disk and if that doesnt work i will just get another laptop...thank you once again to those genuine people who tried to help and to those COD like fanboys ..well jog on and be a warrior behind a keyboard......any info in how to delete my account from this forum would be grateful