PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Continue my installation of Ubuntu 10.10

oliverfigueiredo
November 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hello

I recently decided to go back to Ubuntu after trying Windows 7 ('cause I got it for free from work).
So I burn the 10.10 version to a CD (.iso) and run it on my laptop. Everything is fine. I can run the test of Ubuntu from the cd, but when I choose to install it, it goes to where I have to write my name, pick a name for the computer and my user and type in a password. At the beginning of this screen the "Next" button is matt grey, and cannot be pressed - usually because one hasn't typed anything in. So I fill out the boxs and expect it to become "pressable" when I've done so. But it doesn't. It is still matt grey and cannot be pressed (the "next" button). So I tried reburning 10.10, relaunching the install several time. And everytime it stops at this step in the installation. Anyone know what could be the problem? It's finished copying files according to the progress bar below, which says "Ready when you are.."

Rubi1200
November 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

The user name cannot start with a uppercase letter.

Name: John Smith

User name: needs to be john not John

This is why the installation will not proceed.

Try again and I am sure you will be able to finish the installation.

Good luck!

oliverfigueiredo
November 2nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

The user name cannot start with a uppercase letter.

Name: John Smith

User name: needs to be john not John

This is why the installation will not proceed.

Try again and I am sure you will be able to finish the installation.

Good luck!

Seriously - you are my hero!!! It worked.. Makes me wonder though, pretty odd not to be able to create a user account starting with an uppercase letter? And it should say. Got me so frustrated :)

Thank you ever so much, Rubi1200

krishnandu.sarkar
November 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Ya usernames can't be uppercase letter's like as it's in email :P

Rubi1200
November 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Seriously - you are my hero!!! It worked.. Makes me wonder though, pretty odd not to be able to create a user account starting with an uppercase letter? And it should say. Got me so frustrated :)

Thank you ever so much, Rubi1200
You are more than welcome oliverfigueiredo :)

Please mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

doggygirl_10
November 2nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
I had the exact same problem. THANK YOU. :)

Trent Kross
November 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM
THANK YOU! You saved my hours of frustration!