PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell inspiron 4100 laptop 1GB RAM - Ubuntu install too slow I have to can it?

celub
November 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi I have an old dell inspiron 4100 laptop. It is not the fastest machine in the world but have in the past ran Windows XP on it ok and at the moment have Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) running on it and running Database software plus other so its not doing too bad.

Today I resized my OEL install to make some room on the hard drive to install ubuntu as I am going to lend my laptop to a neighbour for a few weeks and so thought would create a separate partition to help protect my OEL work.

Did this, then downloaded ubuntu dekstop 10.1 which had not used before. Created a cd from the iso image and booted from it. After 30 minutes I thought surely should have seen some sort of install screen by now apart from the 5 little dots. It did eventually get to a different screen and then just seemed to do nothing. So I had canned it. Tried this a few times but no luck.

So now downloading alternative for xubuntu as it seems from reading doc that I can do a text based install and see a bit more of what is happening.

laptop only had 1ghz processor but had 1GB of RAM and I thought this would be enough.

Any ideas on what my be happening be really appreciated. I just want a simple distro for someone to use for a few weeks to access the internet etc.

A bit disappointed by this as I thought from reading the main 10.1 page from where download desktop that the process would be fairly straight forward.

Have installed OEL, Vista, Mac OS X etc on other laptops without this problem to be honest.

Cheers Cel

celub
November 1st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

I would like to close this as I have gone on to download and install Xubuntu as it is meant to require less resources at install time etc.

I am having a problem with this too, please see my other post created by user celub if you having similar install problems as they may be related.

With Xubuntu my install gets further but hangs on scanning disks under the disk partition step.

Cheers Cel