PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to install ClamAV?

grobar87
November 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hi,
How to install ClamAV on Ubuntu 10.10?
Thanks.

lhb1142
November 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi,
How to install ClamAV on Ubuntu 10.10?
Thanks.

In my opinion the easiest way is still the old-fashioned way - go into the Synaptics Package Manager (System->Administration-Synaptics Package Manager).

Enter clam in the search box; click on clamav which will also select dependencies, click on clamav-daemon (both of these are Canonical-supported), and finally click on clamtk (community-supported, the graphical front end so you can easily use ClamAV). Note that clamtk appears on the list before ClamAV itself does.

You know of course that you do not need an antivirus program for yourself; scanning your files merely ensures that you do not send an infected file to some hapless person still running Windows.

While you're at it, why not enter into Synaptics' search box ufw ? This will bring up ufw (the Ubuntu firewall) which is already installed but will also show gufw the graphical front end. If you install gufw you will easily be able to view and possibly adjust your firewall (though unless you are a very advanced user, I suggest that you leave it alone).

I hope this helps you.

grobar87
November 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
In my opinion the easiest way is still the old-fashioned way - go into the Synaptics Package Manager (System->Administration-Synaptics Package Manager).

Enter clam in the search box; click on clamav which will also select dependencies, click on clamav-daemon (both of these are Canonical-supported), and finally click on clamtk (community-supported, the graphical front end so you can easily use ClamAV). Note that clamtk appears on the list before ClamAV itself does.

You know of course that you do not need an antivirus program for yourself; scanning your files merely ensures that you do not send an infected file to some hapless person still running Windows.

While you're at it, why not enter into Synaptics' search box ufw ? This will bring up ufw (the Ubuntu firewall) which is already installed but will also show gufw the graphical front end. If you install gufw you will easily be able to view and possibly adjust your firewall (though unless you are a very advanced user, I suggest that you leave it alone).

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for this.Very nice post.I install ClamAV and everything works fine.:)