PDA

View Full Version : Good dungeon quest games?

prshah
November 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hello,

I absolutely enjoy playing slash'em (and nethack and Moraff's Revenge and rogue afore that). I played falcon's eye for a while, but went back to slash'em.

Never completed any one of them, which is why I guess it's fun to keep going back.

Now I hear a lot about Ultima, Diablo, Half life, System Shock, etc. Are these similar to dungeon-crawl games like Slash? Can anyone recommend good, (optionally modern) dungeon-crawl games similar to slashem's features, eg;

* Randomly generated level maps (with or without predictable branches)
* Multiple characters and types
* Skill and capability developments
* LESS arcade style play

Low cost, abandonware or free games preferred, but all title suggestions welcomed. Please keep it to games that have linux ports, or are Wine-Silver and above.

If you need it: Desktop P-IV (D) Dual Core 1.6Ghz <?>, 2GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce, Ubuntu 64bit.

cascade9
November 1st, 2010, 10:45 AM
Early Ultima versions are dungeon-crawl type games (not that you spend all your time in a dungeon). I think that started changing around Ultima Vor VI, I forget when. Ultima 2, 3 and 4 are very good, dont bother with 1 unless you want to see 'where it all started'.

Diablo is far less dungeon-crawl like, but still in the same genre at least. Probably a bit to 'arcade' from what you've posted. Half-life and system shock are not dungeon-crawl type games at all.

As far as free/abandon ware games like that go, ADOM (ancient domains of mystery) is great, and dungeon-crawl is pretty good. Worth a try at least.

BTW, if you've got a P4-D then its got to be faster than that. The slowest of the P4-D desktop CPUs is 2.66GHz.

Gremlinzzz
November 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
How about Dink Smallwood think its in repos
or one of kings quest
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Cuddles McKitten
November 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Nethack (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Nethack)