PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading the kernel to maverick broke everything!

wishingstar
November 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
Dear all,

I have been using Ubuntu since 9.04 without many (serious) problems, I installed the 10.10 CD and put it on a flash drive (after a while or looking through the web to realize that the startup disk creator breaks with maverick. Anyway, when I booted from flash, it would get completely stuck (no cursor, no blinking line at the top, just nothing!).

So I went back to my lucid install and did a "update-manager -d". When the upgrade was done, i rebooted, and was faced with the same problem again. I had to manually edit the "grub.cfg" file to set the lucid old kernel as default. Again I was faced with a new problem: virtualbox couldn't find the kernel files because upgrading the kernel deleted some files that were required, also, at random times after login, i get no theme and window borders are gone (which I usually solve by running "compiz --replace" in terminal, annoying but not as serious as the virtualbox part).

What I need to know is if there is a way to upgrade from lucid to maverick without the new kernel (I still don't understand why it broke, but oh well!) or to solve the virtualbox problem, as I need to run some windows programs for work.

My specs are:

Toshiba Satellite A215

Dual core AMD athlon-X2 ATI Radeon X1200 (been using the default driver for it since jaunty)

Ubuntu Lucid with latest updates

Please help, and thanks in advance

jrev
November 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM
Why not install Maverick in double boot on your Hard disk ?
It would be easier for you to check the Maverick operation and go back to the previous version in case of trouble :P

wishingstar
November 1st, 2010, 09:13 AM
Why not install Maverick in double boot on your Hard disk ?
It would be easier for you to check the Maverick operation and go back to the previous version in case of trouble :P

Well, I considered that, but i don't like having 2 systems on my laptop. If I could just solve the virtualbox problem, i would be a happy maverick user (don't care much about the new kernel anyway, 2.6.32-25 is good enough for my hardware).

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!