PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Creating a .deb file (and a repository)

jonnan
November 1st, 2010, 02:58 AM
I'm getting ready to do a reinstall on the family room (Myth-TV) computer, and for once I'm having a wit of sense and trying to plan out ahead - added various things I would need to install to a set of 'apt:' links, pulling out settings, et al.

But because I'm going OCD on this, I've developed a yen to just setup a local repository I can add some other software to, even if it's just a DVD backup for things like ebooks, Z-machine games, various emulator games/tos files, et al.

I've looked over the net, and my immediate reaction to the various faqs (mostly marked *obsolete*) I've found is that it seems like it can't possibly be *this* complicated - I just want to be able to stick a CD in, have apt 'install' a z-machine file and have the system automatically install frotz as a dependency.

Everything I see starts off with compiling software with make etcetera - I'm not finding anything that gives a basic intro on creating a .deb file from a known file and creating a repository?

Thanks - Jonnan

jonnan
January 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
No one knows anything on this? I'm getting ready to build a new PC shortly, and getting actual repositories up would be great?

Frogs Hair
January 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Here are some links.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Offline/Repository

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Offline

jonnan
January 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I Guess I'm looking to do something people haven't been interested in - I want to actually create a network repository on my local network for data and materials *I* use, and I'm really not finding documentation on how to do this.

The Repository system *looks* like I ought to be able to setup other data on it to be downloaded and used as needed - iso, ebooks, et al, and then delete as required - I don't see any *particular* reason programs I use in wine can't be setup in a repository.

All of this is dependent on figuring out how to actually setup a repository though, and the only things I've seen on doing this seem to involve 16 interacting programs and accompanying astrological calculations to make sure Vulcan isn't in retrograde.

This just does not seem like it should be all that difficult to setup if I can find actual docs on what is actually needed in the files to show where they need to be installed, and how to setup the files in the repository.

Jonnan