PDA

View Full Version : System76 Lemur UltraThin (LemU2) Review

barid42
November 1st, 2010, 02:53 AM
Here's my review of the new LemU2 Lemur UltraThin from System76. I have no pictures to share at the moment, but I tried to hit all of the major points.

Specs:
Intel Core i3-330UM processor (2 cores w/ hyperthreading = 4 virtual cores)
4GB DDR3 @ 800 MHz
500GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
13.3” display (1366 x 768 native), LED backlit
Intel HD Graphics (GMA 5700MHD)
Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 wireless A/B/G/N
w/ Bluetooth (Standard)

Battery life: 2 hours average, more with backlight down, wireless off, less with bluetooth, effects on, etc.

*Any other specs can be seen at the System76 website (http://www.system76.com)

Unpacking:

I have heard comments/ seen pictures showing a very poor quality of packing material, which was not the case for me. The computer came in a box marked generically as “notebook computer”, but it was a nice box, and really, I don't need the corporate logo plastered all over the place. Inside the box, the computer was suspended nicely in some foam blocks, looked very well-protected (even for a trip on the dreaded UPS truck). I have seen pictures of laptops packed in newspaper (really?), but I can happily report that my package was 100% newsprint-free.

The laptop was wrapped up nicely for transport, with plastic over all the shiny parts, and with the battery already installed (no the norm for other units I've gotten, but not a bad idea). The power brick was tucked nicely to the side in a separate cardboard tube.

The good:
Laptop was nicely protected, came through with no damage.
Case came through clean (no OS badges, no Intel badge, nothing). I like that.
Laptop shipped from CA (Read: USA, no international shipment. Always a plus.)

The bad (or less good):
Some of the protective sheets on the laptop were taped on, took some effort to remove.
Some slight surface brushes on the lid, but they came off with a lens-cleaning wipe.

Hardware:

From the get-go, I noticed that most of the components on the laptop are plastic, no aluminum or fancy pieces. The keyboard is fairly stock, nothing outstanding, no back-light or anything (although that's going out of style as people realize the battery-drain). The keyboard is chiclet-style, all flat keys, but a nice size (using it right now), doesn't feel cramped. Looking from the side, you can see that some of the keys sit at weird angles (up around the upper right-hand corner), but no issues with function (I've always been a form<function kind of guy).

The track pad is simple, clean, the left and right click buttons are under a single brushed-aluminum type bar. The pad itself blends in with the rest of the case, with just a clean edge to denote the track pad. It's responsive, my finger slides nicely, and overall, what more do you need from a track pad? (Multi-touch would be nice, but it's far from expected on most any computer except a mac.) The one aspect that took me a second to adjust to is the way to turn off the track pad, which is Fn+F1, rather than a dedicated button near the pad.

The screen is a nice size, I like the 16:9 widescreen ratio. The backlight is bright, and there's even an option to turn it off completely (haven't used it, may be nice for daylight viewing?). The webcam has a nice high resolution, haven't tried it with Skype yet. The microphone is embedded in the case just to the right of the keyboard.

The good:
Everything feels solid, the hinge is substantial.
Not too many distracting lights or fancy panels, goes back to the whole “clean” feel.
Hardware worked out of the box, 100%, no restricted drivers to install, no kludgy workarounds.

The bad:
The power button can be a little difficult to work consistently, but not a deal-breaker.
Not a lot of shiny buttons (maybe not a bad thing).
Hardware feels run-of-the-mill.

Graphics:

I have never had a computer with the integrated Intel HD graphics, so I had no idea what to expect. With ATI cards, I could never use the radeon driver, I always had to go to the (very buggy) fglrx driver to get any kind of 3d support. To really test things out, I turned the visual effects on high and went about my normal usage. On the low voltage processors (which this one is, only 18W TDP), the GPU frequency is lower than its equivalent on a full-voltage unit, but you wouldn't know it from this experience. The wobbly windows worked straight away, all of the fancy cube effects were smooth. There was no flickering, no tearing, nothing but pure graphics bliss, all with the default driver right form the Ubuntu repos.

I always use Metacity in my everyday life, so 3d is less of a concern. I only want to be able to run OpenGL games, Google Earth, and maybe a nice screensaver without chewing up processor time (Flurry is my favorite screensaver, ever since I first saw it on an iMac). This graphics card (or whatever you call an integrated package) is a slick machine. I got the same CPU usage with the effects on as off, no significant drop in battery time.

The good:
Worked without any tweaks.
Smooth OpenGL, slick on the applications. (GLX-dock is a must have for me.)

The bad:
The webcam refresh is pretty laggy, video doesn't come out very well, may be more hardware-related than graphics.

Wireless:

Not much to say, works as advertised.

The good:
Out of the box ready to go.

The bad:
N/A

Bluetooth:

I've never really used Bluetooth, but it came standard, so I gave it a shot. It took me a little to even see my bluetooth adapter (need to hit Fn+F12 to turn it on, unbeknownst to me), but it seems like it works alright. I used it to sync up to my cell phone (a personal first), with no issues.

The good:
It works!

The bad:
N/A

Overall:

I had read a lot of online forums and reviews before I decided on what to purchase for my new laptop. I had checked Lenovo, HP, Dell, Panasonic, Mac (why not?), ZaReason (the other key player in linux laptops), and probably some others that I can't recall. I was looking at price (lower is better), power (I loved the looks of the new Core i3/5/7 processors and really wanted to try one out), size (my old laptop was a monster, I wanted portable), and quality (I didn't want a rebranded ThinkPad).

I saw a post in one thread online, someone who had not ever touched the computer said “actually, it looks like cheap plastic crap. don't give them a pass just because they preinstall ubuntu...” “it looks very similar to some of the crappy generic oem rebrands that i used to sell. those things fell apart at the slightest touch. there's no way i would ever buy a laptop that wasn't from one of the big-name manufacturers.” I found that a valid point, and I would not give System76 a pass just because they preinstall Ubuntu. However, you can't give them a fail just because they're not a big-name manufacturer, either. If this (possibly troll) poster had actually bought one of these and used it (I've only had mine for a couple of weeks), I think he would change his tune. You can't judge a book by its cover, and you can't judge a laptop by the online pictures.

Here's the big reasons I went with this laptop:

- I like the idea of supporting a vendor who is building laptops to work with FOSS. Ubuntu is not the only distro they could go with, but I can support the idea of getting behind one product that seems to be “for the people and by the people” in terms of usability (openSUSE is great, but let's face facts, it isn't the most user-friendly OS).

- I admit it: I was jealous of the mac-heads (and even a little bit of the windows users) when they could say their computers 'just work'. I always told myself the usual line, that getting the hardware to work was half of the fun, but fact is, I wanted a computer that would just work. With System76, the hardware was chosen specifically because it works with Ubuntu, and if it doesn't, I can e-mail their support crew, and I don't have to try and teach the person who answers what Ubuntu is. I wanted the full experience, and this delivers. I've already used their tech support a few times (mostly for little nothings, like when I couldn't figure out how to turn on the bluetooth), and they've been super-responsive, even before my laptop even arrived. They know their stuff, and they're still a small enough company to CARE about what your experience is like. All f my dealings with HP (not picking on them exclusively, but all of my laptops to now have been HP) have been drenched in the feeling that they could really not care less about how I feel about them in the end.

- The thing is sexy. Really, looking at the online pictures, seeing the dimensions, the thin screen, the simple layout, the thing just looks like it belongs with Ubuntu. Simple is beautiful.

Bottom Line:

I would buy this laptop again. I would recommend System76 to a friend. I'm happy with my entire experience so far. I like knowing that if I ever need to flash my BIOS, I don't have to hack a windows-only exe file to install it in a non-oem approved manor. I like that the manufacturer of my computer will support Ubuntu GNU/Linux, just like none of the big names will.

If you want top of the line hardware, go to Apple and drop your $2000.

If you want what everyone else has, go to Windows and be a sheep.

If you want a computer that is secure, simple, reasonably priced, and gives you the freedom to do what you want, then GNU/Linux is your OS, and System76 is well worth your consideration.

Once upon a time, nobody had heard of Dell either.

NightwishFan
November 1st, 2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the review! Very comprehensive and a nice clean style of writing. They should hire you. ;)

nlsthzn
November 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Wow, thanks for a very detailed review (can't wait for some photos)... got to say that of all you mentioned everything sounds good, with the exception of the battery life (would love something more than two hours)...

Good stuff and enjoy your laptop :guitar:

barid42
November 1st, 2010, 03:29 AM
The battery life is less than stellar, but given the size of the battery, not surprising. The battery is very thin and flat, not the usual brick you'd expect. Result: lower capacity, but a smaller lighter unit overall. If you need longer, getting a second battery is given as an option at time of purchase. (Not a great option, but valid)

stmiller
November 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
Want

era86
November 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
That's pathetic battery life.... sad day..

Spice Weasel
November 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM
You have a nice way of writing reviews, usually when I read them I'm falling to sleep about two minutes in. Well done. :D

Also, am I the only one here whose computers have always "just worked" with Linux without picking hardware especially?

earthpigg
November 1st, 2010, 10:33 AM
Great review, ty.

Also, am I the only one here whose computers have always "just worked" with Linux without picking hardware especially?

I got lucky on my first computer, and have generally done my homework prior to purchase since then. That being said, the last time I did not do my homework was for a wifi card and I paid the price.

del_diablo
November 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
That's pathetic battery life.... sad day..

I think i agree.

vishnumrao
November 6th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I think i agree.

They have a bigger battery if you are willing to shell out the extra$$ and extra weight to the laptop. It will give you the battery life you are looking for. They wanted reduce the weight to make it ultra thin & light. Hence the smaller battery and 2 hour battery life!

nealmcb
April 26th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I've got a lemu2 also - nice machine!

But the wifi module they use by default, a Realtek rtl8191SE-VA2 module, using the r8192se_pci driver, is terrible. I had dropped connections more than once a day, over 14000 lines of spam in /var/log/messages every day, and a kernel panic whenever I ran "powertop" (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/585938). A constant refrain in the bug reports is that the code base for the driver is awful.

Thankfully, System76 is very responsive, and sent me a free upgrade to the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module that barid42 reviewed here.

But I continue to wonder why they even have it as an option, to say nothing of the default. I wish they would at least identify it on the order page, rather than just saying "802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN Module".

Other than that, except for a few odd file ownership glitches, it has worked like a champ.

screaminj3sus
April 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I've wanted to get a system 76, but they seem a little overpriced and I don't like the sku's. (15 inch models are expensive, no option to opt for a cheaper gpu or processor)

NormanFLinux
April 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM
You're paying for the build quality of a custom system with options. For what you're paying them to build, you should expect the best. With the pricing, its apples to oranges.

You can get a cheaper system off the rack but it might not have all the features you want.

System 76 has a lot of happy users and he is active in the support forum here. And because the support the company provides is so good, it more than justifies the price of buying a custom Ubuntu computer from them.

And they have a lot of models to choose from to fit your budget.

linuxforartists
April 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM
@barid42. Thanks for the detailed review. I was curious about how good the Intel graphics card was, and you addressed that concern. Glad to hear the wireless card works out of the box. That was my #1 worry.

barid42
May 3rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Any concerns I had initially held about the Intel graphics have completely left my mind. The GPU has yet to show any issues. The default driver has served well, handling 3d graphics in stride, with no flickering or anything of the sort. Even Gnome3 runs flawlessly. I've been using this machine for over 6 months, spending time on it daily, often for hours at a time, and it runs like a champ. It runs cool, does what it should.

I had mentioned in my original review about the camera being laggy. Turns out that the issue was not the hardware or the video card, etc., but the program I was using. Cheese showed slow, choppy video, but running guvcview shows smooth, high-detail video from the same cam. The computer gets off clean with that one.

I've had a few issues recently relating to my upgrade to Natty and Gnome3, but that's hardly the computer's fault.

My one ((very) minor) gripe: the keyboard can be finicky. Sometimes I hit a key wrong, and it will jam slightly and not register. It takes a little more care than the other laptop keyboards I've used.

Aside from that, I've continued to consider going to the larger battery available from System 76, although the basic battery serves my needs fine 90% of the time.

Having used it for this long, I'd still recommend this computer, hands-down. :)

mercgt73
August 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I know your follow-up was back in May, but thanks for the review. I'm looking at the Lemur and your info has really helped my decision!

BeRoot ReBoot
August 25th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the review. Now I'm really starting to wish System76 offered shipping outside the anglosphere.

ninjaaron
August 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Sounds cools. I must say that a 2hr battery life knida defeats the purpose of "ultrathin" unless the transformer is also smaller than usual.

BeRoot ReBoot
August 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Sounds cools. I must say that a 2hr battery life knida defeats the purpose of "ultrathin" unless the transformer is also smaller than usual.

There is the option for an extra battery with twice the energy, but it isn't clear how this effects the size/weight of the laptop.

szymon_g
August 26th, 2011, 01:04 AM
2 hours average, more with backlight down, wireless off, less with bluetooth, effects on, etc.

and how long is it on under windows

If you want what everyone else has, go to Windows and be a sheep.

i want my hardware to work. am i a sheep?

Once upon a time, nobody had heard of Dell either.

that's funny. half of s76 hardware is just rebranded dell.

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Dell isn't a hardware company, Lanolin. :D

BrokenKingpin
August 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
That is very, very poor battery life, and that really is a deal breaker for me. What is the point of having a super portable laptop if it runs out pf battery shortly after unplugging it?

LowSky
August 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
System76 needs to updates it lineup for the Lemur. The Core i3 line is a few months into its second generation. Also Battery life should be 3-4 hours at full battery with little to no weight gain.

The price is too high in my opinion. For $600 I should get twice as much RAM and 500GB Hard drive and the newer Core i3. Heck Best Buy is selling laptops here for under $400 with the newer Core i3 and 4GB of RAM and 320GB hard drives. Hard to buy from a company offering older tech for more money.

BrokenKingpin
August 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM
System76 needs to updates it lineup for the Lemur. The Core i3 line is a few months into its second generation. Also Battery life should be 3-4 hours at full battery with little to no weight gain.

The price is too high in my opinion. For $600 I should get twice as much RAM and 500GB Hard drive and the newer Core i3. Heck Best Buy is selling laptops here for under $400 with the newer Core i3 and 4GB of RAM and 320GB hard drives. Hard to buy from a company offering older tech for more money.
I agree. I like System76 and what they are doing, but you can get better deals elsewhere. The only advantage of System76 is that Ubuntu is pre-installed and guaranteed to work with the hardware.

I like where System76 is going, but they need to be a bit more competitive. I also wish you could choose to have any of the main Ubuntu derivatives installed by default. I really dislike Unity, so if you could get Xubuntu or Kubuntu installed by default that would be awesome.

Linuxratty
August 26th, 2011, 11:34 PM

Nice review and nope...I've had good luck with hardware and Linux as well.

ninjaaron
August 27th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I actually just found out that Linux has support for more hardware than any other OS. It's just that Windows has slightly more hardware support on the desktop PC.

Linux runs on everything from super computers to wrist-watches. Try that with any other OS.

phosphide
August 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I like performance. Slim laptops, although cool, aren't really a desire for me. I am more interested in their Pangolin laptop.

SavageWolf
August 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hmm... I will maybe use them when I need to get a new computer. But the main problem is that they are located in the US, and I have no idea how any of that works... Hmm...

I also have no idea how good the prices are ether... My Mom has always advised me to go with the cheapest option when buying hardware... And everything in general, really...

Would the hardware perform better under Ubuntu than a Windows machine Ubuntufied with the same spec?

szymon_g
August 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
And everything in general, really...

that's because you are Scottish ;)
but seriously- IMO buying Dell's laptops would be better. or Lenovo.

motoperpetuo
September 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM
i just noticed that system76 isn't offering the lemur on their website anymore. does anyone know why?

ninjaaron
September 21st, 2011, 11:59 PM
Don't know. Either they weren't selling enough, or they began work on an ultrabook to replace it, ran out of stock, and didn't replace so they wouldn't have to get rid of it when the ultrabook is relased.

Just speculating. I don't know anything.

PPY
December 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
I recently found those laptops for myself and I really like them and have an idea to buy one whenever I'm going to buy a new laptop. I'm a bit surprised that they are not any cheaper (sometimes even more expensive) than similar machines from top manufacturers, but I don't mind to pay a little bit extra provided that it is 100% compatible with ubuntu (and other distributions as well I guess). But what I don't like about system76 laptops is that they charge too much for HDD upgrade. Similar upgrades from Zareason cost 30-50 dollars less. System 76 charges 149 dollars for upgrade from default HDD to 500 GB hybrid drive, while it costs exactly 149 dollars at some webstores. Does it mean default drive costs nothing? It won't stop me from buying laptop from them but I'm definitely not going to do HDD upgrade with them (well, may be to 640 GB which according to their ordering website costs nothing to you:)).
Another thing is that they don't have USB 3.0 ports on their 14 inch laptop (this is the size I would prefer), and while it is not a big issue right now, but provided that I would use this laptop for next 4-5 years or even longer, USB 3.0 devices would appear in my life. So I will have to go for bigger laptop size (and higher price) just to have USB 3.0 ports. Would be nice to have them on Lemur (along with eSata).
Surprisingly, I didn't find any negative feedback about their items which tends me even more to buy from them. They even ship to Norway where I stay now, but norwegian custom will double the price for me so I have to wait until me or my friends go to US to buy one.
And ye, would be nice to see some live photos of the laptop.

BBQdave
December 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks barid42 for a great review. I had a couple of questions about drivers and wireless support and you answered those spot on. Much appreciated well written detailed review :)

Spice Weasel, I have had good luck too with hardware and GNU/Linux. I like the idea though, of supported a company like System76... and not paying Win-doze tax.

wolfen69
December 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
System 76 charges 149 dollars for upgrade from default HDD to 500 GB hybrid drive, while it costs exactly 149 dollars at some webstores.

So they should give it to you for what you can get it for? Nevermind that they have to put it in for you and install ubuntu on it.

PPY
December 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
So they should give it to you for what you can get it for? Nevermind that they have to put it in for you and install ubuntu on it.
I think to charge a price of default hard drive just for installing one is too much. And don't forget that laptop manufacturers will get hard drive for lower prices than you can get due to bulk discounts and special deals they have with suppliers.