PDA

View Full Version : Finally running IPv6 at home! Anyone else?

RandomJoe
November 1st, 2010, 02:42 AM
Just had to take a moment to cheer! After dabbling with IPv6 off and on for a long time, I finally "got it" after much reading today! My home network is now dual-stack (still have a number of devices that'll never do IPv6) and offers IPv6 Internet connectivity via 6to4. (My ISP doesn't offer IPv6 yet, but I do have IPv4 fixed IPs.) I even added a v6 AAAA record to my site's DNS just for kicks. (Site is http://n5usr.net - nothing major, just something else I kill time fiddling with...)

In the end I found it wasn't all that difficult, but it sure did take some digging to find all the bits I needed. No single website had everything I needed, although a couple came close. Thankfully I took some good notes for once (that's a rarity!) so I guess I could make my own howto now. :P

Once I finished, I thought about what I'd accomplished. It doesn't appear to offer any immediate benefit beyond "hey cool", but now I'm ready for when my ISP starts offering IPv6 - or perhaps I can even participate in the trials they are supposed to be running now. Something tells me I'll have my v4 addresses for a long time yet, though...!

So, has anyone else done this? Maybe found any more compelling reasons to switch?

I was surprised by the dearth of recent material on this, nearly everything I found is years old. I'm trying to decide whether there's just that little interest, or I'm behind the curve and everyone else finds this old hat! :-D

juancarlospaco
November 1st, 2010, 03:35 AM
Too bad, too loooooooooooong packet to transfer the same data, kills latency,
anyways, is the future... congrats to you

FuturePilot
November 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM
I thought about doing this myself once but couldn't find any good resources on it.