PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs: "We don’t see USB 3 taking off at this time."

Sporkman
November 1st, 2010, 01:17 AM
If you’re expecting an imminent refresh of Apple’s MacBook, Mac Pro and iMac lines supporting the blistering fast USB 3.0 standard, don’t hold your breath: Steve Jobs says they don’t care about USB 3.0 right now...

http://www.cultofmac.com/steve-jobs-we-dont-see-usb-3-taking-off/66931

3rdalbum
November 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
Because everyone will switch to Firewire? *snicker*

Exodist
November 1st, 2010, 01:41 AM
Because everyone will switch to Firewire? *snicker*
But of course.. What else is there.. hehe

KiwiNZ
November 1st, 2010, 01:49 AM
He is correct , right now there is very little devices supporting USB 3. Very few of the OEMs have included it . The next major refresh will probably look at USB 3 which would be due mid 2011.

chris200x9
November 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM

I have usb3, u jelly?

Exodist
November 1st, 2010, 02:02 AM
He is correct , right now there is very little devices supporting USB 3. ...............

Very true really. I just purchase I new mobo last week and USB3 was at the very bottom of my tech requirements list.

MooPi
November 1st, 2010, 02:03 AM
I'm gonna yawn now, because I listen as much to Steve Job's quotes as I do Steve Ballmer dribble.
I would really like to see usb 3 take off. Having an external hard drive and usb 3 connection would be nice for file transfer speed.

Mr Bean
November 1st, 2010, 02:20 AM
Obviously USB3 will take off. And it's backwards compatible so there's no reason to leave it out of new products. Especially if you're going to pretend like your products are somehow premium and charge as such. You should in all honestly give customers some features that are actually premium features.

Chame_Wizard
November 1st, 2010, 02:47 AM
Use Linux,USB3 support since September 2009.:popcorn:

KiwiNZ
November 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM
Obviously USB3 will take off. And it's backwards compatible so there's no reason to leave it out of new products. Especially if you're going to pretend like your products are somehow premium and charge as such. You should in all honestly give customers some features that are actually premium features.

It is not worth doing a "break cycle" refresh to provide USB 3 support when there is so little peripherals available for USB 3 .

forrestcupp
November 1st, 2010, 03:19 AM
Because everyone will switch to Firewire? *snicker*Lol. That's what I was thinking. Firewire 2 is where it's at.

He is correct , right now there is very little devices supporting USB 3. Very few of the OEMs have included it . The next major refresh will probably look at USB 3 which would be due mid 2011.Just like when USB 2 came out. That didn't take off, did it?

KiwiNZ
November 1st, 2010, 03:28 AM
Lol. That's what I was thinking. Firewire 2 is where it's at.

Just like when USB 2 came out. That didn't take off, did it?

I didn't say it wouldn't take off sheesh :rolleyes:

I said "right now there is very little devices supporting USB 3. Very few of the OEMs have included it"

Walk around your local PC shop and make a list of USB 3 peripherals, then go an find OEM's that have PC's with USB 3, you will soon see what I mean.

USB 3 will take off when there is the peripherals available at competitive prices and then the OEMS will offer it as default as I have suggested in the 2011 refresh cycle.

nlsthzn
November 1st, 2010, 03:35 AM
... and off course nobody will be using the same Mac in two-three years when there is a lot of USB3 capable devices...

juancarlospaco
November 1st, 2010, 04:04 AM
Mac, allways a step behind...

toupeiro
November 1st, 2010, 04:23 AM
Even if it not widely implemented today, if you can implement it, and it's going to add, perhaps, less than $10/unit (stab in the dark, probably on the high side of mass production cost), why would you NOT add it?!? Oh, thats right, because Steve Jobs wants you to buy a whole new system/device to get USB 3 support...

pwnst*r
November 1st, 2010, 04:57 AM
He is correct , right now there is very little devices supporting USB 3. Very few of the OEMs have included it . The next major refresh will probably look at USB 3 which would be due mid 2011.

^This.

Most users have no idea about USB 3 - only nerds.

madhi19
November 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM
^This.

Here the only things the average user need to know about USB 3.
"It compatible with USB 2 and it a hell of a lot faster than USB 2!"
If you got an itch to scratch and an empty PCIe port Amazon got WD My Book 3.0 USB 3.0 external drive with a USB 3.0 PCIe card included. (http://amzn.to/9PNDNZ)

weasel fierce
November 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
Even if it not widely implemented today, if you can implement it, and it's going to add, perhaps, less than $10/unit (stab in the dark, probably on the high side of mass production cost), why would you NOT add it?!? Oh, thats right, because Steve Jobs wants you to buy a whole new system/device to get USB 3 support...

Can you add USB3 to a PC that does not have it currently ?
Or am I misunderstanding what you are getting at here ?

Sand & Mercury
November 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM
^This.

Hey, change your av dude. You're confusing me and I found HR Giger Satan first. :lol:

cascade9
November 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hey, change your av dude. You're confusing me and I found HR Giger Satan first. :lol:

+1. Though I'd prefer 0 HR Giger avatars...at least you didn't use a (sexually) dodgy one.

I didn't say it wouldn't take off sheesh :rolleyes:

I said "right now there is very little devices supporting USB 3. Very few of the OEMs have included it"

Walk around your local PC shop and make a list of USB 3 peripherals, then go an find OEM's that have PC's with USB 3, you will soon see what I mean.

USB 3 will take off when there is the peripherals available at competitive prices and then the OEMS will offer it as default as I have suggested in the 2011 refresh cycle.

It sure seemed like you were saying that USB3.0 wouldnt take off.

OEMs are always last to get stuff like USB 3.0, they dont drive new technology in general. Apple is in that boat, and its also got firewire that I'm sure they would love to be more popular than USB X.X (not going to happen).

There are USB3.0 peripherals around. Here (and I'd assume that in NZ is worse) they are about twice the amount....not that bad considering the video card price/CPU/RAM price range, people will pay a lot more than twice as much for faster hardware. In the US its less than 2x the cost, more like 1.75x.

Nice guess. If you didnt check, then I'm impressed-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124091&cm_re=USB3-_-15-124-091-_-Product

Though do have to say that if you can get PCIe USB3/0 cards fro $10 retail, the cost to the manufactuer would be a lot lower.

EnGorDiaz
November 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM
Can you add USB3 to a PC that does not have it currently ?
Or am I misunderstanding what you are getting at here ?
there pci-e 1x and 16x cards available which i am investing in two weeks

Johnsie
November 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
PCI cards are for nerds, not the average joe.... And nobody is going to pay for a new computer/motherboard just to get their onboard to USB3 (apart from nerds).

USB 3 might eventually take off, but it will be a slowwwwwwwww process. Maybe as slow as Vista/7 adoption (only unwittingly purchased with a new computer).

TNT1
November 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
USB 3 will never "take-off" By the time there are sufficient peripherals that support it, the OEM's will be releasing optical interfaces as standard.

Optical interface to SSD!

3rdalbum
November 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
USB 3 will never "take-off" By the time there are sufficient peripherals that support it, the OEM's will be releasing optical interfaces as standard.

Then what do you use in between optical interfaces being shipped on motherboards, and optical interfaces taking off on devices?

forrestcupp
November 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
... and off course nobody will be using the same Mac in two-three years when there is a lot of USB3 capable devices...That's what I had in mind. If I'm going to buy a new computer right now and something that is going to be big next year is available now, I would want it included.

Even if it not widely implemented today, if you can implement it, and it's going to add, perhaps, less than $10/unit (stab in the dark, probably on the high side of mass production cost), why would you NOT add it?!? Oh, thats right, because Steve Jobs wants you to buy a whole new system/device to get USB 3 support...Plus it's harder and uglier to do that if you're using a laptop.

PCI cards are for nerds, not the average joe.... And nobody is going to pay for a new computer/motherboard just to get their onboard to USB3 (apart from nerds).
Motherboards are for nerds; PCI cards are for anyone who needs to add functionality to suit their particular need. You don't have to be a nerd to need extra functionality that requires a PCI card.

ubunterooster
November 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
I find that the 3 USB 3.0 ports I have put out a lot more power, so even though I have no 3.0 devices that take advantage of the bandwidth, I find it only takes one port ( instead of two ) to power the one external drive.

Also, I remember adding a USB PCI card to the ol' HP desktop years before I would have been considered a PC nerd

Yougo
November 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
"if you build it, they will come"

i'ts a proven rule. they do it all the time, even with stuff that is in no way backwards compatible. there is absolutely no harm at all in implementing USB3 right now.

as hardware like desktop pc's spread slower than periferals (my laptop is 4 yo and going strong -ok i wiped Vista and am a happy geek since 8.10 :) ) and i'd hate to have to go out and buy a new pc just because it doesn't talk to e.g. my printer due to hardware ancientness. call me a capitalist's nightmare, but i intend to buy a new pc when ducttape can't save it anymore.

with that in mind, WHEN i buy a new one, i want a NEW one, with USB ports built for the future

..oh well, you won't find me buying a mac unless it has fries and a large coke with it :P

deanjm1963
November 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
"if you build it, they will come"

i'ts a proven rule. they do it all the time, even with stuff that is in no way backwards compatible. there is absolutely no harm at all in implementing USB3 right now.

as hardware like desktop pc's spread slower than periferals (my laptop is 4 yo and going strong -ok i wiped Vista and am a happy geek since 8.10 :) ) and i'd hate to have to go out and buy a new pc just because it doesn't talk to e.g. my printer due to hardware ancientness. call me a capitalist's nightmare, but i intend to buy a new pc when ducttape can't save it anymore.

with that in mind, WHEN i buy a new one, i want a NEW one, with USB ports built for the future

..oh well, you won't find me buying a mac unless it has fries and a large coke with it :P

I couldn't have said it better - my new asus motherboard has USB3 and have just ordered a Samsung Story 1TB USB3 drive ... hope it's quicker than USB2.

mips
November 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM
I really do hope he is right. USB is a horrible standard as far as I'm concerned when it comes to data trasfer. It's fine for peripherals but sucks at data transfer.

I really do hope Intel's Light Peak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak) takes off:

Light Peak is an optical cable interface designed to connect devices in a peripheral bus. The technology has a high bandwidth at 10 Gbit/s,[2] with the potential to scale to 100 Gbit/s by 2020.[3]

Currently in development, Light Peak is being developed as a single universal replacement for current buses such as SCSI, SATA, USB, FireWire, PCI Express and HDMI, in an attempt to reduce the proliferation of ports on contemporary computers. Bus systems such as USB were developed for the same purpose, and successfully replaced a number of older technologies. However, increasing bandwidth demands have led to higher performance standards like eSATA and DisplayPort that can't connect to USB and similar peripherals. Light Peak provides a high enough bandwidth to drive these over a single type of interface, and often on a single daisy chained cable.

Stan_1936
November 1st, 2010, 05:36 PM

He's an idiot.

Half-Left
November 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM
That's OK Steve. We PC users see it taking off, so you just stick to your Mac and catch up soon.

era86
November 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Isn't this the guy that refused to put HDMI in any apple products until recently?

conundrumx
November 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Maybe the Community Cafe should get a new sticky. "Steve Jobs recently said X, let's all second guess and mock him!" The man engineered one of the most successful corporate turn arounds in history, love him or hate him you have to admit he knows how to run a company.

tl;dr - Who cares? He's probably right.

era86
November 1st, 2010, 06:00 PM
Maybe the Community Cafe should get a new sticky. "Steve Jobs recently said X, let's all second guess and mock him!" The man engineered one of the most successful corporate turn arounds in history, love him or hate him you have to admit he knows how to run a company.

tl;dr - Who cares? He's probably right.

You mean you don't enjoy watching everyone bash the guy while he makes billions upon billions of dollars? It's quite entertaining to watch the haters... hahaha
:popcorn:

Half-Left
November 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm sure he doesn't care less. He'll care if New York Times bash him though, since he sucks up to them.

HermanAB
November 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Electrically, USB3 is a total abortion. USB3 is the Vista of interface standards.

lisati
November 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Does the USB 1.1 card I put in my old machine a few years back count? The copy of Win98SE that came with the machine supports USB, but is worth zip without the hardware.

KiwiNZ
November 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
He's an idiot.

And that is why he is Co- Founder and CEO of the fastest growing and one of the most profitable IT Corporations on the planet. What is it that you do ?

Remember this from the COC "Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them."

Shakz
November 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
My $300 Asus netbook came with usb 3.0.....just saying.

Half-Left
November 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Steve Jobs is many things but not an idiot. In the end he is talking about the Mac, not PCs.

PC manufacturers will probably have a different view.

KiwiNZ
November 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM
If light Peak and Power over Ethernet are to prove to be better alternatives I would prefer to wait. USB 3 still has some of the limitations of USB 2 .

conundrumx
November 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM
Every Mac user who would care about increased speeds from USB 2.0 to 3.0 has had Fire Wire 800 for what, a year? USB 3.0 will show up on Macs around the same time it shows up on Dells and HPs, give or take a few months.

pwnst*r
November 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
My $300 Asus netbook came with usb 3.0.....just saying.

Lol, netbooks. Just saying.

deanjm1963
November 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I can tell you now - 280gb of files used to take nearly 2.45 hours to copy to my external hard drive. With my Samsung Story USB3 only took 35 minutes. I'm more than happy ... bring on USB3 ... :popcorn:

BrokenKingpin
November 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
For external disks, E-SATA is the way to go right now, and more and more laptops and motherboards have an E-SATA port. With having E-SATA for your external disks, USB-3 is sort of pointless, as USB-2 is fast enough for most other USB devices like keyboards and mice.

czr114
November 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
USB3, while great, isn't as essential to a computer as USB2. USB1 was majorly bottlenecked, and in sore need of improvement. USB2 isn't similarly bottlenecked.

Right now, only two remotely common peripherals will benefit from that speed: external storage transfer, and certain 1080p streaming web/videocameras.

The average user uses external storage primarily for backup or media transfer, not for massive batch copy of Blu-Ray rips. USB2 will be fine for that.

Raw streaming 1080p from a camera isn't useful to most users, either, due to other resource constraints, primarily Internet bandwidth. By the time the average user has an opportunity to do something practical with the content, USB3 will either be properly phased in, or cameras won't be spitting out raw, or both.

Yougo
November 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
if you want fast data transfer, use a network harddrive and a 1Gb LAN connection.

that said, USB3 will attract more applications and appliances when it's availability is taken care of. i still see no harm in shipping new computers USB3-ready.

juancarlospaco
November 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I see a Fake-USB3 the past week, its brilliant blue, and say "3".

On the docs of the Motherboard say thats because it have the power(electricity) increased by 3

psusi
November 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
For external disks, E-SATA is the way to go right now, and more and more laptops and motherboards have an E-SATA port. With having E-SATA for your external disks, USB-3 is sort of pointless, as USB-2 is fast enough for most other USB devices like keyboards and mice.

+1

esata >> usb3