PDA

View Full Version : Netbook Coolers?

mr-woof
October 31st, 2010, 11:49 PM
I have a little asus eee900, i installed 10.10 and i've been using the normal gnome desktop and because of this i've been able to use conky. I've noticed when watching bbci player etc it puts the cpu under full load and the temps fly up to 60 - 68C!

Does anyone use any sort of netbook cooler? If yes, do they work?

I'm a little bit worried at those sorts of temps, I'm not sure what sort of temps the atom processors can handle.

edit: this looks nice

http://notebook-cooling.com/index.php/2010/07/editors-choice-enermax-aeolus-n14-cp002-netbook-notebook-cooler/

markp1989
November 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have a little asus eee900, i installed 10.10 and i've been using the normal gnome desktop and because of this i've been able to use conky. I've noticed when watching bbci player etc it puts the cpu under full load and the temps fly up to 60 - 68C!

Does anyone use any sort of netbook cooler? If yes, do they work?

I'm a little bit worried at those sorts of temps, I'm not sure what sort of temps the atom processors can handle.

edit: this looks nice

http://notebook-cooling.com/index.php/2010/07/editors-choice-enermax-aeolus-n14-cp002-netbook-notebook-cooler/

from what i remember , my old eee pc 701, the cpu had a max rating of 100c, assuming the cpu in yours is the same, 68 under load should be fine.

alexandari
November 1st, 2010, 09:30 PM
usually,all notebook coolers do the work. My toshiba had 90C @ both cores...nevermind that. It's ok now,and my cooler is some...random zodiac thing lol

juancarlospaco
November 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thats just too cold !

I installed a Desktop VGA RAM alumium disipator an reduce temp, increase battery time, because no fan running

andrewabc
November 2nd, 2010, 02:02 AM
happy shopping (http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=319&name=Laptop-Accessories)

There are lots of sizes, fan sizes, and other stuff.

cloyd
November 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
I've tried several cooling pads. They work, but I've had trouble keeping the fan running. The connection where the power cable goes in goes bad or something. Recently, I've tried two things. One is a soft plastic mat filled with a gel that melts a fairly low temperatures and aids cooling and distributing heat. It helped a little. Another is a little cooling stand with no fan, but made out of aluminum mesh. It held the computer up off the desk a little and allowed air to circulate better. Again, helped a little. It had no fan. The aluminum mesh stand came from best buy (not my favorite) and was brandnamed Rockfish (a Best Buy house brand). Only cost $10. The mat was only about $15. They did not significantly cool my machine when watching You tube videos. So far, the best thing to do for videos is to see if there is some way to get the download, and watch it later with VLC or movie player. With You Tube, you can get them out of the temp folder if you don't open a new video or close the You Tube page. Other videos are not so easy. Woirking in a cool room with a ceiling fan overhead helps too. Still air on hot days makes things worse.

With all that said, as long as the fans run, they cool and help quite a bit.