PDA

View Full Version : My new firewall ( yes, i know, it's windows )

jason.b.c
April 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Has anybody every had any experience with Comodo Personal Firewall in windows.??

I had the Sygate Firewall for like the longest time but it crapped out on me and won't reinstall ( you know how windows behaves ), so i downloaded a new one ( All Totally Free ).. But now i have this problem with it not letting me get ANYWHERE:mad: on the internet including this forum, See thats why i'm asking this here ( ha ha ha ) If anyone knows how i can correct this i sure would be willing to listen..!!!:eek:

I've been up half the night Fighting with windows and i'm getting preaty sick of it.!!:mad: ](*,)

Yea i know, this isn't a linux question, is it.;)

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Get a router.

zenwhen
April 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Get a router.
Gonna have to second this.

prizrak
April 16th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Try Kerio (i think that's how it's spelled). Sygate used to be awesome but now it's owned by Symantec so it sux.
Otherwise get a router new ones come with SPI firewalls and are quite nice.

ice60
April 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM
i use the free old version of Kerio 2.1.5 with BlitzenZeus's replacement rules. only use if you really understand the protocols! because it's hard getting help if you don't - BlitzenZeus is quite vicious lol (the rules are down the page, near the buttom - BZKerio2xDefaultRepl

select "Kerio Personal Firewall" from the dropdown, then 2.1.5
http://download.kerio.com/archive/
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708

forum
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

maybe read this first??
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2670783~root=kerio~mode=flat

actually, you can find out about that firewall below
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127726

Lovechild
April 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Windows 2k pro and Ubuntu breezy super user..

I think we have a contradition here..

please if you must use a software firewall, IPtables isn't hard to setup, we even have nice guis.. otherwise get a router

jason.b.c
April 17th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I think we have a contradition here..

please if you must use a software firewall, IPtables isn't hard to setup, we even have nice guis.. otherwise get a router

OH Hardy Har Har, Nah i know you were joking.:)

IPtables isn't hard to setup

Iptables in windows???? Is that what you meant??

otherwise get a router Well i wish i had high speed, unfortunetly i'm stuck with internal dialup wich means i don't have internet in ubuntu.](*,)

Thank you Ice60 i'll keep that stuff in mind.:D

ice60
April 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Thank youIce60 i'll keep that stuff in mind.:D
no problem, i just want to say Kerio 2.1.5 is just about lightest FW there is resource wise.

i'll help you set up Kerio if you like, once you've setup one or two rules they pretty much follow the same pattern. then we can ask if the rules look OK somewhere :)

also, for more ideas you can look here (http://wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31), they seem to spend most of their online time trying out new FWs lol

jason.b.c
April 17th, 2006, 01:58 AM
no problem, i just want to say Kerio 2.1.5 is just about lightest FW there is resource wise.

i'll help you set up Kerio if you like, once you've setup one or two rules they pretty much follow the same pattern. then we can ask if the rules look OK somewhere :)

also, for more ideas you can look here (http://wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31), they seem to spend most of their online time trying out new FWs lol

:D Ok Cool, I have ( what i think ) is an older version of Kerio on a disk that i got in the mail, Now i did install it first before comodo, but i noticed something afterwards- in the startup splash screen thingy ;) it sayed that " this is a thirty(30) day trial period , it also sayed something like that after the trial the firewall would no longer protect from incoming ( i think ) traffic. I don't know.:( But now i think i've got this Comodo thing figured out ( i hope ) i'm in this forum now with it "on" full strength so...?

I'll still keep ya in mind though, in case i have any trouble. Thanks:)

towsonu2003
April 17th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Has anybody every had any experience with Comodo Personal Firewall in windows.??

I had the Sygate Firewall for like the longest time but it crapped out on me and won't reinstall ( you know how windows behaves ), so i downloaded a new one ( All Totally Free ).. But now i have this problem with it not letting me get ANYWHERE:mad: on the internet including this forum, See thats why i'm asking this here ( ha ha ha ) If anyone knows how i can correct this i sure would be willing to listen..!!!:eek:

I've been up half the night Fighting with windows and i'm getting preaty sick of it.!!:mad: ](*,)

I donno how comodo works. you probably have to navigate preferences inside the program and open ports (80 for http, 443 for https) or tell it to allow specific programs to access internet.

I never had problems with zonelabs personal firewall (free). it learns (by asking you questions) as you go along.

ice60
April 17th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I'll still keep ya in mind though, in case i have any trouble. Thanks:)
you can do a port scan to check and see it's working.
click through the first page then click on something like 'all service ports' or 'all common ports' i can't check because i'm using a proxy and it won't let me into the site
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Note - if you are using a router it will likely just scan your router and not the software firewall, also check you have disabled the windows firewall.

what happens when you launch a new program which wants internet access?

you can try TCPView, it's a standalone network monitor
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

you could also try Process Explorer to see if it's running and how it's working
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

jason.b.c
April 17th, 2006, 02:29 AM
you can do a port scan to check and see it's working.
click through the first page then click on something like 'all service ports' or 'all common ports' i can't check because i'm using a proxy and it won't let me into the site
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Note - if you are using a router it will likely just scan your router and not the software firewall, also check you have disabled the windows firewall.

you can try TCPView, it's a standalone network monitor
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

you could also try Process Explorer to see if it's running and how it's working
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

A little pop up thingy comes up asking for permission to let that program have access the internet.:)

you could also try Process Explorer to see if it's running

Allready have it, It's a cool little program, isn't it??;)

if you are using a router = Dial up. internal. it sucks.!:(

jason.b.c
April 17th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Ok i did that firewall scan thing in the link you provided, here's what i got.:>

--------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-04-17 at 01:35:48

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
32 Ports Closed
1024 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be CLOSED were: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,
18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25,
26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

------------

So did i pass or fail??:confused: The one thing said " True Stealth Fail ":confused:

Is that a bad thing when it knows your 11 digit IP address??

ice60
April 17th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Ok i did that firewall scan thing in the link you provided, here's what i got.:>

--------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-04-17 at 01:35:48

0 Ports Open
32 Ports Closed
1024 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

------------

So did i pass or fail??:confused: The one thing said " True Stealth Fail ":confused:

Is that a bad thing when it knows your 11 digit IP address??
that's a result he talks about on the results page. it should be under the result, your firewall is reacting to the scan in some way. it's the bit where it starts off all blue then turns green, i think.

i'll disable my proxy and have alook at the page i'm talking about, it won't let me on to the site with it on ](*,)

ice60
April 17th, 2006, 03:51 AM
i've saved the relevant text to a text file and attached it to the post. anyway, your FW is perfectly safe - all the ports were closed. the difference between closed and stelthed is a stealthed FW will drop all the packets and not return a reply. closed will say 'yes i'm here, but the port is closed'

any network expert (i'm not an expert lol) will tell you there's no difference AT ALL between the two.

when a hacker does a scan and there's no reply they know there's someone at the IP because packets are supposed to let you know if they don't get to where they're going to with 'unreachable' replies.

plus there are tools like nmap which will send 'funny' packets which act in such a way a hacker knows if someone is there.

so you are fine, there's only a problem if you start finding ports open, keep checking over the next day or so. :cool:

ice60
April 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM
this is the bit from the text file, i can't see the attachment from the last post. it's on the results page from the scan, you should see it when you next do a scan

Strange Results?
Personal firewalls are beginning to exhibit "adaptive behavior". The grid shown to the left starts off showing ports mostly closed with a few open (mostly blue with a few red cells). Then at some point it suddenly switches into "stealth mode". This can occur when a firewall "adapts" to the scanning IP and raises its defenses against just the attacker. This complicates the job of accurately checking a system's security.

Two things you can do: If you are not certain whether your firewall is adaptive, you can re-run any test here to compare the results. Differing behavior often indicates that your firewall has "learned" that it is being probed from our IP and is treating it differently. For the most accurate scan results, disable any adaptive behavior during the testing.

You can use these tests to learn exactly how your firewall deals with probes to specific ports, and to port ranges.

jason.b.c
April 17th, 2006, 05:26 AM
so you are fine, there's only a problem if you start finding ports open, keep checking over the next day or so.

Ok cool, That result page on that site was just a bit confusing:confused: and i wasn't sure.

I know when i had Sygate in here it was no problem to get it set up and tested on there website.;) And it always past with Flying colors.;)

This one seems to be working ok now ( I think/hope ):p

ice60
April 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Ok cool, That result page on that site was just a bit confusing:confused: and i wasn't sure.

I know when i had Sygate in here it was no problem to get it set up and tested on there website.;) And it always past with Flying colors.;)

This one seems to be working ok now ( I think/hope ):p
OK, let us know if it starts showing open ports, if it doesn't you should be fine. :)

Sonique
April 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Get a router.

I have a router and am using ubuntu. If i don't forward any ports, am I safe, or should i use firestarter? Also, does firestarter actually do anything?

jason.b.c
April 18th, 2006, 03:13 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-04-18 at 02:06:35

0 Ports Open
32 Ports Closed
1024 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

----------------------------------------------------------------------;)

Now i wonder how i could close up just a few of these ports??](*,) To make the "Trustealth" a little better.?!

cnbiz850
April 18th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Your best solution is to dump Windows completely. You can't save trash.

jason.b.c
April 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Your best solution is to dump Windows completely. You can't save trash.

Hey hey now, Well ok i'll ask you this then:> ARE YOU going to send me an external modem so that i can have internet access in Ubuntu?????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thats all i've got right now, some people don't have an abundance of money to throw around....

benplaut
April 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I'm suprised nobody said it before...

t3h best f*ing firewall out there is ZoneAlarm. Make sure you get the personal edition (which is completely free, no trial)

jason.b.c
April 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I'm suprised nobody said it before...

t3h best f*ing firewall out there is ZoneAlarm. Make sure you get the personal edition (which is completely free, no trial)

:eek: ;) I thought ZoneAlarm was only for High speed internet ???:o

ice60
April 18th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I have a router and am using ubuntu. If i don't forward any ports, am I safe, or should i use firestarter? Also, does firestarter actually do anything?
yes, you should be fine. Ubuntu does have a firewall running called iptables, so you should have your router and iptables running. firestarter is only a frontend for iptables.

:eek: ;) I thought ZoneAlarm was only for High speed internet ???:o
Zone Alarm is a software firewall, you can use any software firewall.

like i already said - i'm not an expert , but i'll just tell you how i think it works :rolleyes:

this is how routers (hardware firewalls) and software firewalls (zone alarm, Kerio etc) work and what they do.

a router sits at the gateway to the internet on your home network. it does two things - blocks unwanted packets from the internet (like a firewall) and forwards packets to computers behind it using its routing table.

NOTE - there's no safe authentication method behind a router, so they are safe to use at home when you trust all the computers connected, but at the local cafe shop, or hot spot, you have to assume someone is watching everything you do. that's unless you use ssh, vnc etc to connect to your home computer first, then route out to the internet that way

routers block packets in one direction only - from the interent. software firewalls block in both directions. that's because a router might have 100 computers behind it so it just lets everything through. a software firewall is only used by one computer so it will let you know when something wants internet access then lets you decide what to do.

so if you have a worm on your computer a router will let it out to the internet, a software firewall will stop it.

most windows firewalls do alot more then just block or accept packets, they might block popups, watch cookies, tell you your Anti Virus patterns are out of date :rolleyes: that's what Zone Alarm does, and because of that it uses alot of resources and its more likely to conflict with other software. some firewalls even have sandboxes to control what's allowed to run on the computer, i think the new Kerio firewall does that, and Tiny too.