PDA

View Full Version : "Move over Bill Gates and Steve Jobs?"

Sirin
April 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Some kid named Brian Bouchard and his delusional friends think they are the next Microsoft. They have "proved" this by stuffing old computer parts in a fragile pine box, writing a simple outdated DOS-based Operating System, and stealing the name "Episoft". What's worse is that they even think they can stand up to obviously better OSes like Windows Vista, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Linux.

"Your looking at, possibly, the newest revolution in computer history..." - Brian Bouchard

Even worse, the news is actually taking this seriously. :rolleyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7TJUd7h5TgM

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Did they code a OS or just take linux/bsd?

Aewheros
April 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
As far as i can see they did never mention what was so special about their system.:???:

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Did they ever mention what was so special about their system?:???:

It's made of wood?

curuxz
April 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
ROTFLOL....lame

Ob1
April 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
lol, how does a story like that get into the news?

Qrk
April 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Everything is going sooo great now, there simply isn't anything else to report about. ](*,)

Oh... wait.

Virogenesis
April 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
lol, how does a story like that get into the news?
well it might not crash like windows so they find it impressive.
Quite sad considering I saw nothing but a wooden with some parts mounted on iinside that wooden thingy called a case.

jobezone
April 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
The video itself (the news report) may be a parody.

dmacdonald111
April 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Is it just me or is having a bunch of kids at school building and designing a 'rudementary' operating system sound really demoralising? I couldn't even do that now! rfol

aysiu
April 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
While this may, in fact, be a joke, Linux essentially started with Linus Torvalds, a student--albeit, a university student--just coding a Unix clone in his room for a summer.

YourSurrogateGod
April 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Oh, I don't know. Making an OS while a freshman in high-school is pretty impressive. As for being cocky, well, have either Gates or Jobs been not cocky? Hell, Torvalds probably has his share of being an arrogant bastard from time to time.

drizek
April 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
but the revolutionary thing about linux is that it was opensource. These kids are just making an OS(or, by the looks of it, running DOS) that has no advantages whatsoever over either linux or closed source.

YourSurrogateGod
April 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
but the revolutionary thing about linux is that it was opensource. These kids are just making an OS(or, by the looks of it, running DOS) that has no advantages whatsoever over either linux or closed source.
Dude, I'm in college, if I made my own little DOS I would be a god amongst men in my school of engineering. They have light-years to go before they can make something look as good as Linux, XP or OSX, but the fact that they got so far is pretty damn good.

dmacdonald111
April 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM

you're right, unless they intend and want to make money out of it, which is sounds like it does so there is only contest with microsoft. It would be interesting to see what they come up with.

drizek
April 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Dude, I'm in college, if I made my own little DOS I would be a god amongst men in my school of engineering. They have light-years to go before they can make something look as good as Linux, XP or OSX, but the fact that they got so far is pretty damn good.

How do you know they arent just using DOS or FreeDOS to run it? They never mentioned specifically what it was they were doing, and the news has a tendency to exaggerate things.