PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Unity 64-bit?

Richard Carlson
October 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm interested in Unity on a 64-bit machine. Right now I using Mint Linux 10.0 RC with Ubuntun netbook on top. It seems to work rather well. My question is: When , where, and how do I get Unity with Ubuntu 64-bit on my system for the purposes of testing? Would I have to install 10.10 64-bit and install (Netbook on top also?)using apt-get?

I'm intrigued with Unity and think it will be significant in the future development of Linux overall. Any thoughts idea's and or suggestions are welcome.

Richard :)
BTW (Is development moving at a fast pace for Unity?)

garvinrick4
October 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm interested in Unity on a 64-bit machine. Right now I using Mint Linux 10.0 RC with Ubuntun netbook on top. It seems to work rather well. My question is: When , where, and how do I get Unity with Ubuntu 64-bit on my system for the purposes of testing? Would I have to install 10.10 64-bit and install (Netbook on top also?)using apt-get?

I'm intrigued with Unity and think it will be significant in the future development of Linux overall. Any thoughts idea's and or suggestions are welcome.

Richard :)
BTW (Is development moving at a fast pace for Unity?) When you install netbook edition of 10.10 ubuntu it comes with the desktop addition also. Change at the login screen to preferred GUI. If you install Desktop edition you do not get Unity interface. Can test with USB install or Live Cd install. USB install can have 4 gig of persistence so as to save changes. Unity is nice, I enjoy it now and again.

kerry_s
October 31st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Would I have to install 10.10 64-bit and install (Netbook on top also?)using apt-get?

bingo!

there is no 64bit netbook, so you could go with mini iso, command line, server or desktop.

the standard netbook has the desktop anyways, so just using the desktop installer is the easiest.

after install "ubuntu-netbook".