PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see in the Next Release of Ubuntu?

DirtyPC
October 31st, 2010, 08:40 PM
Title says it all. :guitar: :popcorn:

sanderd17
October 31st, 2010, 08:51 PM
A smoother interface (it's already smooth, but everything can be better) and bug fixes. Apart from that, Ubuntu has everything I need (except a big market share, but the market share isn't going to rise in the next release).

DirtyPC
October 31st, 2010, 09:08 PM
A smoother interface (it's already smooth, but everything can be better) and bug fixes. Apart from that, Ubuntu has everything I need (except a big market share, but the market share isn't going to rise in the next release).
I agree. I would also like to see more multimedia based software. It would convice windows users to go to Ubuntu

rjmanmac
November 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
i would like to see blueray player compatibility, a ps3 media server and also a native EXE installer...

matthew.ball
November 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
You actually need Ubuntu to have a bigger market share? :S

I hope it doesn't have a native *.exe installer (hint: just install WINE - not everyone using Ubuntu needs Windows executables).

I'm pretty happy with what I've got currently and I still haven't upgraded to 10.10.

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
i would like to see blueray player compatibility, a ps3 media server and also a native EXE installer...
I think their might be blu ray compatiblity... not sure.. I was planning on getting a blu ray drive in the near future actually. How about better compatibility for PS3?

rjmanmac
November 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
what do you mean by better ps3 compatability?
an EXE installer would be great! :D

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM
As in the install on Ubuntu could be much better! Plus running...

slackthumbz
November 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'd like it to not include unity or gnome-shell as they're both horrible. Other than that I love ubuntu.

Mark Phelps
November 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
First of all, I'd like it NOT to include a native .exe installer. We need to wean our folks AWAY from running Wine and other such stuff -- not encourage it. IF MS Windows is so critical that you have to install LOTS of MS apps, then you need to STAY in MS Windows.

Second, I would like Canonical to stop messing around with eye-candy stuff and build in a System Restore capability so that folks who unwittingly corrupt their install by upgrading to a new Ubuntu version can easily roll-back to the previous version. MS Windows has had this since the early days of Vista -- it's about time that Ubuntu had this as well!

NCLI
November 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
a ps3 media server

Just install the application "Playstation 3 Media Server (http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fps3mediaserver.blogspot.com%2F&ei=fLbSTMe-IMOXOsuThfMO&usg=AFQjCNE9Z2v7P-jUOF9E9vYg2-YWZtfB8w&sig2=_sYjFSezKn-VU-nrW6bwdg)" for that, though I agree that it would be nice to have it included in the repos.

As for my wishes, I hope that Unity becomes an awesome shell, that we get an even better theme, that the dynamic wallpaper thing is finally realised, that we get a new sound theme, better Wine integration, and last but not least, a whole bunch of nice applications in the Paid Applications section of the Software Center :D

theginge99
November 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I would like simpler support for third party software, as a relatively new user I found it complicated to get all the codecs etc to make all the stuff that just worked on windows to work on ubuntu.

I love that ubuntu provides everything most users need, but little things like dvds not playing are what put newbies off. I understand why third party stuff cant be in the main repository, but at the end of the day we all have to accept that we need some of these commercial products, so why do I as a point and click computer user have to fiddle with code.

I guess what im really saying is that Ubuntu needs to work better for the windows and mac users who arent into the techy stuff and just want a workable system.

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I'd like it to not include unity or gnome-shell as they're both horrible. Other than that I love ubuntu.
Yes... I downloaded Unity. Not to fond of it at all, makes it harder to use.

TriBlox6432
November 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I want it to be lighterweight and use less resources. It is much better than XP on my netbook, but it still needs to improve a lot (I'm talking about the Desktop Edition, I don't bother with Unity)

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I want it to be lighterweight and use less resources. It is much better than XP on my netbook, but it still needs to improve a lot (I'm talking about the Desktop Edition, I don't bother with Unity)
Get Xubuntu, it is more lightweight.

john_spiral
November 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
a greener version of Ubuntu, longer battery life and lower power consumption.

GreenDance
November 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I would like to see in the next release...

In the installer, (for advanced users) an option to auto-install ubuntu depending what data is included in a text file on a usb drive, for example, if it says in the file "OpenOffice - No" then it wouldn't install openoffice.

On first boot, a video that automatically comes up, showing an introduction to ubuntu and how to use ubuntu.

maddbaron
November 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I'd like to see ubuntu develop or at least outsource a developer or developers into creating ubuntu native software for creative types namely, a novel writing program. Ubuntu lags behind in software like this. Celtx is cool and so are some others but they are complicated and not totally supported as often as a user needs. using openoffice writer or abiword is a band-aid. We have software for most anything else but for writers the choices are slim and compared to windows and mac, the software we have isn't on their level. i'm all for making ubuntu look awesome but it needs software to make it special.

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I agree with all of the above + i'd like to see a full install of ubuntu through windows, not installing in windows.

Hashiru
November 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I would really like SDHC-card support for netbooks. Now I have to use my USB card reader.

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I would really like SDHC-card support for netbooks. Now I have to use my USB card reader.
I didn't realise they didn't have support D:

cgroza
November 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Ok, you install the exe, then what? If you copyed the files someplace doesn't mean you can run it. Maybe you want windows compatibility?

sn0m
November 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
how about a program to sync contacts, calendar and notes with mobile phone......

DirtyPC
November 4th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hint of Sarcasm? :D.

Ubuntu One..........

marl30
November 5th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I'm with including system restore. I would like to also see an optional fully load DVD version of Ubuntu which will install a lot of software out the box, like with the DVD version of OpenSUSE.

Khakilang
November 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Nothing I see that need to be add. What I want I can get it from the software center. Maybe better font, smoother graphics and sound. Not so much of eye candy but pleasant looking.

Whistling Nixie
November 5th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'd like to see the option of a paid version with the propietary codecs included, for countries which recognise US software patents.

DirtyPC
November 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'd like to see the option of a paid version with the propietary codecs included, for countries which recognise US software patents.
Should be free, always. The main purpose of linux. Free.

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
How did this thread get solved? Were you asking one specific person, and they answered? :)

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
No, "freedom". Freedom is not free. All software in Ubuntu Main/Universe will be free though. To be honest optional paid addons, (despite what Stallman will say) is a positive thing. We have a huge repository of free software, and a place to buy non-free or pay-for open source solutions. It is a big step and once we need to be first at.

DirtyPC
November 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
How did this thread get solved? Were you asking one specific person, and they answered? :)
I mark it as Solved, as there is no other prefix, and i'm not asking a question really, I just want opinions. :-)

DirtyPC
November 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
No, "freedom". Freedom is not free. All software in Ubuntu Main/Universe will be free though. To be honest optional paid addons, (despite what Stallman will say) is a positive thing. We have a huge repository of free software, and a place to buy non-free or pay-for open source solutions. It is a big step and once we need to be first at.
I just would like the OS to stay free. I don't mind paying for decent software/games as longas its finished to a standard comparable to Windows :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
This is not a suggestion that benefits me; however, it is for the numerous people posting problems with 10.10 after trying to install it as dual boot. The 10.10 installer seems to have been a step backward.

An idiot-proof installer on the live CD for those that want to dual boot.

fiddle.sticks
November 5th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I would like login window customisation returned to the user. "Back in the day," pre-hardy perhaps, gdm simple greeters were easy to create or download and install. Now it is next to impossible for the user to change the login window design. Sure the background can be changed, and the colours of the actual login dialogue box...but not the layout. It just doesn't compare to the old gdm greeters.

Spice Weasel
November 6th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I would like login window customisation returned to the user. "Back in the day," pre-hardy perhaps, gdm simple greeters were easy to create or download and install. Now it is next to impossible for the user to change the login window design. Sure the background can be changed, and the colours of the actual login dialogue box...but not the layout. It just doesn't compare to the old gdm greeters.

That feature was taken out in Karmic I believe, Jaunty was the last to use legacy gdm.

mkendall
November 6th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Freedom is not free.

If you don't throw in your buck 'o five,
Who will?

NightwishFan
November 6th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I used my ambiguity of that statement as a bit of a tease. :)