PDA

View Full Version : Will this ever happen?

TriBlox6432
October 31st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Where you install Ubuntu on a computer and on first boot, everything works out of the box? Hardware, drivers, flash, restricted formats, etc? I understand why Canonical doesn't include codecs and the like, but would it really be that hard to make open source codecs? I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about, lol.

kaldor
October 31st, 2010, 05:13 PM
It already does happen.. it's called getting the right hardware and making sure it's Linux friendly :)

My HP Pavilion worked flawlessly on Ubuntu up until later releases. So, I switched distros and everything works without a hitch once again.

Simian Man
October 31st, 2010, 05:15 PM
would it really be that hard to make open source codecs?

The codecs that you install are open source. The reason that they aren't included is because they violate patents held on the proprietary formats in countries like America.

TriBlox6432
October 31st, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh, that makes sense I suppose. So will people get in legal problems for installing the Restricted Formats? hah. That would suck.

kaldor
October 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Oh, that makes sense I suppose. So will people get in legal problems for installing the Restricted Formats? hah. That would suck.

Unlikely; I believe it's only the OS vendors themselves that need to be careful.

Windows Nerd
October 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Just use Mint if you want codecs ootb. That simple. It's Ubuntu based, and behaves almost exactly like it.

weasel fierce
October 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Ive done two installs on this box and both worked perfectly out of the box.

juancarlospaco
October 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I dont use restricted-extras anymore,
Youtube and Vimeo uses HTML5,
Adobe Reader is a security hole expo,
all .mp3 converted into .ogg, same with video,
i never compress using .rar

Still using the nvidia drivers waiting for noveau to become better,
but is not part of restricted-extras anyways...

Tharkun
November 1st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Well, I tried installing Debian 5.0 awhile back (after having Ubuntu on the computer for a few releases). I wanted to try the base distro that ubuntu came from but it didn't work (couldn't get the screen to show anything after I installed it). But ubuntu just worked as they say.

Crafty Kisses
November 1st, 2010, 02:00 AM
LinuxMint: http://www.linuxmint.com/

TBABill
November 1st, 2010, 02:35 AM
Don't know how it could happen. The codecs could if it weren't for legal issues, but the drivers for all hardware is impossible in an evolutionary environment. I think we can be happy that Ubuntu does work as well as it does on the variety of hardware it does support. Compared to Windows where you install a lot of drivers post-install, unless you have an OEM install DVD that has them all on it for the particular computer it came with. Install a plain Windows DVD and see how well that supports all hardware OOTB...not so well without a lot of additional work.

3Miro
November 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
My sister's laptop can run compiz and wireless out of a Live CD. Ubuntu installs perfectly without the need for any proprietary drivers (the Hardware Center is mute). However, we do need to add medibuntu for codecs, which has always worked flawlessly (copy and paste a single command).

Red_Steve
November 1st, 2010, 03:05 AM
My fresh installation of 10.10 worked flawlessly out of the box (I don't count necessary driver selection and the installation of restricted formats into issues as my former windows 7 installation behaved the same (even worse as I had to manually install all drivers while ubuntu just prompted the grafic card driver installation)

Khakilang
November 1st, 2010, 03:29 AM
My hardware work from Ubuntu 8.10 to 10.10. The only thing I had to install is the restricted codec and nVidia driver as compare to Window I had to have CD for motherboard, graphic card and USB wifi adapter to make it work not to mention I have to key in the product key and product activation. With Ubuntu, I only need 1 CD and its the easiest OS I have ever come across.