PDA

View Full Version : update to 10.10 frozen attached pic

djuliette
October 31st, 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm updating the netbook version of 10.04 to 10.10. It is apparently asking for user input regarding Grub. However I cannot move the windows around to click 'ok' nor will the keyboard function. No Alt+Tab, The terminal in the background will not get focus so I can't type in there, I can't get that little window 'Configu..' to get focus so I could just hit enter.

I can however click on all the icons on the left side of the title menu bar. But only those. So I could logout if needed, but what would that do in the middle of an upgrade?

It is honestly stuck, and I have little hope that I still have a usable system and will have to install from scratch.
And I'm really fearful that grub is toast. And I'll first have to remove grub with a windows bootcd (it's a dual boot system). Which is hard since it's a netbook without a cd (will have to use a boot usb drive somehow)

Is there any possible way to get that 'configu...'window to the foreground so I can click it?

djuliette
October 31st, 2010, 05:06 PM
The system itself is not frozen. If I pull the charger cable out the battery icon changes.

But nothing happens if I click anywhere except for the icons on the top left.

edit, new info

This is maddening. I've got some control now. I can click on the text field in the hidden window and select the options.

After that I can hit 'enter' to make the selection but after that I don't know what to do.

djuliette
October 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM
ok, got it.

After selecting the proper selection in the text window I had to tab 2 times and hit enter LOL

the problem is at just that point in the installation process something up with the windowing system. there were no title bars to click on and move the window and I couldn't click on the ubuntu icon or the icons of running programs.

At any rate it is now continuing to update. YEA!!