PDA

View Full Version : In the Social Network, does Mark use Linux in the beginning of the movie?

TheNerdAL
October 31st, 2010, 03:13 PM
So I was watching The Social Network and I heard him say that getting the images was easy, all he had to do was do a wget command or something. Isn't wget a linux command?

Thanks!

gintovan
October 31st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Yup he was using Linux with KDE :D

TheNerdAL
October 31st, 2010, 03:18 PM

Awesome! :D I was excited! :P Thanks!

chris200x9
October 31st, 2010, 04:55 PM
Awesome! :D I was excited! :P Thanks!

I just gotta break out emacs and modify the perl script

cra1g321
October 31st, 2010, 06:40 PM
he also mentions wget when hes getting the pics for facemash & when he asks they guy for money he also mentions an apache server

user1397
October 31st, 2010, 08:42 PM
i think i only saw linux being used throughout the movie, and i only saw kde (version 3.x)

correct me if i'm wrong anyone :)

Mr Bean
October 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM
Is the movie any good?

xpod
October 31st, 2010, 09:16 PM
I`ve not seen the film myself yet but even my 10 Yr old daughter reckoned that "the Facebook guy was using Linux for all his work".....well, all 3 girls who went to see it did but it was the 10 Yr old who was first through the door going on about it.

TheNerdAL
October 31st, 2010, 09:21 PM
I`ve not seen the film myself yet but even my 10 Yr old daughter reckoned that "the Facebook guy was using Linux for all his work".....well, all 3 girls who went to see it did but it was the 10 Yr old who was first through the door going on about it.

Yeah, it looked like Linux but when they move into the huge room with all the computers, were they still using Linux?

Is the movie any good?

The movie is decent.

DJ_Peng
October 31st, 2010, 09:26 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet but Aaron Sorkin (the movie's screenwriter), Jesse Eisenberg and Armie Hammer were on OnPoint (http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/09/social-network-sorkin-facebook) back in September and they all talked about how intent they were on getting the facts of the movie right. They even got the brand of beer Zuckerberg was drinking right at the top of the movie so I'm not surprised to see Linux in use.

It is good to hear the Zuck is a KDE guy though. :guitar:

Crafty Kisses
November 1st, 2010, 02:02 AM
Some wget magic.

Z3r0Point
February 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM

It could also be a variety of BSD. I agree that is probably KDE for the desktop, though I was surprised that the little K was absent in the lower left corner (but I imagine that could be removed through a config file... not sure though.. I use Xfce :) ).

wormyblackburny
February 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I thought it was a great movie, and I was particularly happy with how accurate the technical references were. It is overall an interesting story

TriBlox6432
March 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Here's some screenshots. Enjoy. :popcorn:

Ozor Mox
March 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have to admit, when I first heard about it, I rolled my eyes at the idea of a film about a social networking site (that I don't really like). The film was really good though. I was particularly impressed with the technical accuracy and the excellent soundtrack.