PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Intel Core I3 not detecting sound or onboard HD graphics.

x_lauren
October 31st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hi, I wasn't too sure where to start this new thread. (Hope this is the correct place)

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 "The Maverick Meerkat" alongside Windows 7 and Windows XP (Triple-boot)
I have an Intel Core i3 computer with onboard HD graphics.
When I boot up in Ubuntu I'm required to type in the username and password then the command "startx" once that happens the computer screen goes blank/black.
The only way my computer boots up in Ubuntu properly is if I start fail safe graphics mode (or whatever it's called) Resolution is fine, set up to 1280x1024.
If I go to system > preferences > monitors it says the monitor is unknown. So it's obviously related to a graphics card problem. I've tried system > administration > additional drivers but nothing shows up. Also tried the update manager but says there are no updates to install.
I've installed Ubuntu on my other computer which works perfectly - using Radeon Xpress graphics card.
Another problem I'm facing is the OS hasn't detected any sound, I've checked all connections, checked if sound isn't accidentaly muted, etc.

Btw, I'm a total noob at Linux go easy on me ;)