PDA

View Full Version : Had to share what a comp tech told my grandparents about Ubuntu

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, as I've only ever used this site for asking and answering specific questions, but I just have to share this, so here goes:

I just learned today my grandparents, who actually take their computer in to get it serviced on over the dumbest little things relatively frequently (why they don't ask me I'll never know), got quite the talking to about the evils of Ubuntu, and how illegal such a thing is to even have in one's possession. That's right, you heard me.

Here's the story:

My grandparents run Vista on a somewhat modern machine, and every now and then mess it up to the point of needing assistance. Occasionally they talk to me, who actually fixes the things, and I always do what I can from afar, but for any issue deemed 'serious' in their eyes, they take it to an 'expert'.

On one of my visits a while back, I brought a custom Ubuntu live dvd I made so they can try it out. They loved it, but was a tad too wary to just forget Windows and try it full time. That and I was also wary as they are actually one of those few who still use dial up and I know how that can be hard with Linux, and Ubuntu.

Anyway, a few months back, they had trouble turning on their computer, so instead of taking it to me, they went to this 'expert'. Basically, his 'fix' was to use the reinstall disc that came with their laptop to restore the whole thing. Literally, he turned the computer on, popped the disc in, and clicked a few buttons, overwriting everything. $100+ later, 'all fixed'.

Finally, today, I learned they took it in again because their internet connection was having issues. So, being retired folks with a little money to waste, they took it in. The guy, who I believe was the very same one as before, sold them a new phone cord and some other cable for an insane amount.

THEN, my grandmother mentioned how she has this Ubuntu disc on hand and was curious about if it'd run more smoothly on her machine and give her less trouble. And here's what he said to her:

"Oh, Ubuntu is extremely dangerous. Don't ever install it. I have a friend that had it on his computer once and because it's so incredibly illegal, he was fined in excess of $10,000, and had to go through a bunch of court things because of it, including some jail time, I believe. Stay away."

So of course, being from a generation who listens to 'experts' no matter what, they probably will never use it again.

Does anybody else think this is such a sad reflection of how many of these so-called computer 'experts' are in terms of what is not the norm, and what they can't easily fix? And lying to old folks; pathetic.

theraje
October 31st, 2010, 08:42 AM
It takes an amateur to mess something up... but to REALLY screw something up requires an "expert". :P

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 08:44 AM
Haha, nice phrase. I may have to borrow that one. ;)

earthpigg
October 31st, 2010, 08:48 AM
You didn't say "Best Buy" once, nor "Geek Squad."

As far as I know, you have neither in whatever country you live in.

But those four words could not escape my head through the entire reading.

So, I must ask. Is my stereotyping accurate, or not?

Khakilang
October 31st, 2010, 08:50 AM
it takes an amateur to mess something up... But to really screw something up requires an "expert". :p
+1.

ctrlmd
October 31st, 2010, 08:50 AM
of course he will tell them that cause he's earning money from them
and if their internet problem solved he would not get anything from that

and maybe he provided half solution just to make them return to him when the problem rise again

this is the kind of people i really hate.

theraje
October 31st, 2010, 08:53 AM
Heh. :)

I just remembered a friend of mine, who is a professional network/IT guy, told me a story about how a company he did some network maintenance for had hired one of those so-called "experts" to set up some secure authentication thingamabob for the company's Web site. Said "experts" decided to do the whole thing with Flash.

Unfortunately, he told me this while we were at lunch. He opened with, "how stupid does this sound..." then told me about it all. I almost choked on my sub. :P

If you want another good phrase:

"Getting certified proves only that you are certifiable."

Just take a look at all the orangutans running around pointing at all their certifications and saying they know best. :D

GabrielYYZ
October 31st, 2010, 08:54 AM
i guess that when every single ubuntu user runs an ubuntu help desk free of charge, them "experts" arrive logically at the conclusion "no windows, no business".

if i were you, i'd point them to pages like this one, psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php, omgubuntu.co.uk or ubuntugeek.com and show them that there's nothing wrong with using it and getting help from someone other than that "expert" (who should really be an export and get sent somewhere for swindling nice folks).

pbpersson
October 31st, 2010, 09:01 AM
Sad......very, very sad :(

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Yep, sad, very, sad. But, this is how it is. Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. The main desire in life. If you think you can't get it, why not make up stuff to steer folks to giving you more.

As to who they took it in to see, I'm not sure. Wouldn't surprise me if it's those 'Geek Squad' folks. Granted, not all of them all bad, but there are many, usually those who actually make more than minimum wage, tend to be like this gent.

"Getting certified proves only that you are certifiable." - Awesome! Hehe

In all, I think it comes down to if it's not controllable, profitable, and manageable from the elite, why in the world would one promote it? I love this site. Not everyone here is an expert, but most of us on here do what we can, when we can, to help our fellow man, or woman, out. And vice versa. Isn't that how the world should work? ;) Personally, I love giving help when I actually know the answer to something. Just as I appreciate it when I need some assistance. Everything doesn't have to be out how much, and what do I get for it?....

chessnerd
October 31st, 2010, 09:13 AM
Being a computer science major, I talk with actual computer experts every day. Most of my professors have doctorates and, surprise, surprise, they almost all use Unix (typically Linux, but a couple use Macs). We also have a couple of computer labs that house computers running Fedora Linux.

In my computer science class this semester, here is the breakdown of students who regularly bring their computer to class: 2 Macs, 2 Windows users, 4 Ubuntu users.

I was having a talk with a professor about Linux, and he said something to the effect of "Ubuntu is rather popular with the students" referring to the fact that most students he knows who use Linux use Ubuntu.

So, if this "expert" is right, then a lot of computer science students, and a couple of professors, are going to have to deal with "a bunch of court things" once word gets out.

I have met only a handful of honest, good, computer experts who fix computers for a living. A couple of them run a local computer repair service for students of two local colleges and not only do they fix issues with Windows, they offer custom Ubuntu installs and strongly recommend using Ubuntu over Windows. I talked with the head guy for hours at his booth in the student center and got several of his Ubuntu flyers to hand out to friends (made in Ubuntu using OpenOffice, of course). After talking with him, I would recommend his service to anyone on campus, because he is reasonable, intelligent, and isn't out to scam people.

My advice, help your family as much as you can to keep them away from the "experts" because if they end up going there, it will cost them. (Unless you can find some computer service you can trust, but those are few and far between.)

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Sage advice, chessnerd.

That's interesting that you say many of those you run across, students and professors, use Linux, and often Ubuntu. I hadn't even heard of Ubuntu until a couple years back, and nobody I know (outside of those I've 'brought into the light'), use anything but Windows, albeit Vista, XP, 7, whatever. I can't recall any professors ever using anything but Windows or Mac. Linux, to me, in college (which wasn't that long ago), was just this computer geek programming thing that is for those super smart fellas with too much time on their hands and a real passion for coding. Of course, I was pretty ignorance back then.

If I had known about Ubuntu those years back, I wouldn't definitely gone Linux. Especially since no longer is the case in which you had to worry about a Linux computer not running anything and everything you throw at it. (Outside of fancier stuff and specific games and such).

So I'm glad that you are noticing more and more non-Windows/non-Mac people out there, especially those teaching it to future generations.

I read this one article a month or so back that said that in the future Linux will indeed be on par if not better in terms of widespread use to Windows, predicted by most economists. Maybe with this belief, our 'experts' who hopefully continue to spread their help and talents for free with grow and grow.

Of course, my hope is we won't follow in our Windows 'experts' footsteps, and often condoned or mislead those about that which isn't our thing. There lies why I don't listen to most advice given by 'experts' anymore. It's what serves them, or it's the highway. Good business sense, yes, but not good in terms of being a good neighbor in this world.

curuxz
October 31st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Really annoys me the amount of so called experts that run around over charging.

In the UK there seems to be zero certification or regulation on the computer repair market. I did repair work for a few years and so many stories of people being screwed over since anyone can 'claim' to be a repair expert. Duno if it is any better where you are?

This guy should be named and shamed online so others know to avoid his store, if he is dishonest about that it makes you wonder what else...

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Oh it's like that here in the states as well. Really, you can think of how they rip people off in much of the same way as mechanics do the same to customers as well. There have been a lot of stories about corrupt mechanics bleeding people dry through lying and manipulating things. Even some who cut cables and break things under the hood of cars and then charge for more than what the customer went into the shop in the first place. You can also say the same thing here about doctors, and the whole medical industry. Of course, these examples are another topic.

Yeah, it would be great to point out to others those business men and women who put to shame the rest in their industry due to their cheating and lying. Here in the states, we do have this website called www.angieslist.com (http://www.angieslist.com). While I've never used it, it seems to be a good idea for future customers to get a heads up on those that aren't very trustworthy. We need more of these.

Verbeck
October 31st, 2010, 09:38 AM
quick fix : pay some old guy to act as an 'expert' and have him talk on behalf of linux :D should convince them ,wouldn't it?

edit
fun stuff to read: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Microsoft

chessnerd
October 31st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Sage advice, chessnerd.
Thank you. :)

That's interesting that you say many of those you run across, students and professors, use Linux, and often Ubuntu. I hadn't even heard of Ubuntu until a couple years back, and nobody I know (outside of those I've 'brought into the light'), use anything but Windows, albeit Vista, XP, 7, whatever. I can't recall any professors ever using anything but Windows or Mac. Linux, to me, in college (which wasn't that long ago), was just this computer geek programming thing that is for those super smart fellas with too much time on their hands and a real passion for coding. Of course, I was pretty ignorance back then.
I am referring to computer science students and faculty here, so this is basically a bunch of computer geeks and programmers. Linux still gives the impression of geekiness to most students on campus, and most don't use it. Once you get inside comp sci classes, however, it is definitely prevalent.

Outside of computer nerds, I have met only a couple of students who use Ubuntu, but most only know about it and got it because they know a computer nerd who recommended it.

However, I once met someone who was almost computer illiterate and yet she had managed to learn about, install, and use Ubuntu all on her own! And she liked it! I was shocked to find that such a person existed, but apparently they do.

So I'm glad that you are noticing more and more non-Windows/non-Mac people out there, especially those teaching it to future generations.
To future generations of computer nerds, but yes, to future generations. :p

Of course, my hope is we won't follow in our Windows 'experts' footsteps, and often condoned or mislead those about that which isn't our thing. There lies why I don't listen to most advice given by 'experts' anymore. It's what serves them, or it's the highway. Good business sense, yes, but not good in terms of being a good neighbor in this world.
Scamming someone will give you a profitable customer for a single day. Truly helping someone will give you a customer for a lifetime. The "business sense" there is for the short-sighted and narrow-minded. Sadly, such companies still do succeed. However, maybe someday enough people will say "enough is enough" and such companies will fade into oblivion. Maybe.

Brandel Valico
October 31st, 2010, 09:48 AM
Heck just show them this http://www.focus.com/fyi/information-technology/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/print/

Pointing out the big ones like the US department of defense,Us Submarine Fleet,Federal Avation Administration,Us Postal Service,Us Federal Courts,Garden Grove California,Largo Florida,Indiana Schools,Google,IBM,Virgin American Airlines,Omaha Steaks,Amazon,Wikipedia,The New York Stock Exchange,Burlington Coat Factory,Dell and other should help to show that if they can use it and it's good enough for them to have both Government and various businesses and schools it's obviously not illegal to use. Not to mention if they are American.... They may find that using the same OS base as the government uses to be sort of cool.

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Haha, nice idea Verbeck (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087700)!

Indeed. Always depends on the type of population you frequently coexist around. If it's computer science nerds, of course you'd find more than say jocks or cheerleaders. (Boy am I stereotyping here! :P)

I actually ran across one person like that too, who isn't a big computer gal, yet actually has heard of, and uses Ubuntu. And before me. I was quite shocked. And very proud that day. I sure looked at her differently every since. :P JK

Sad, but true. We live in a microwave society. Everybody want's it all, asap, no matter how cheap and rushed it may be. If it's a quick buck, woohoo! And if that takes a lie or two, whatever. A customer for a lifetime is just not too profitable in today's market. If you can make happy one person a few times in the course of their computer needs, with honesty and integrity, you might make a few bucks. But if you can rush through a line of eager beavers with no time on their hands, just as you see the world yourself, then a fib here and there, possibly a bad repair and/or an exaggeration works.

Random_Dude
October 31st, 2010, 09:50 AM
of course he will tell them that cause he's earning money from them
and if their internet problem solved he would not get anything from that

and maybe he provided half solution just to make them return to him when the problem rise again

this is the kind of people i really hate.

^This.

If he doesn't know how to work with Linux, he isn't able to charge people to fix some problem with Ubuntu. So it's all is his best interest to keep them using Vista.

wojox
October 31st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hey, hey, hey. Leave the "Best Buy - Geek Squad" alone. I work there part time.

We actually boot Linux up to diagnose the problem. I keep a USB and CD of Trinity Rescue Kit (http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT____CPR_FOR_YO UR_COMPUTER&front_id=12&lang=en&locale=en) handy.

theraje
October 31st, 2010, 09:52 AM
quick fix : pay some old guy to act as an 'expert' and have him talk on behalf of linux :D should convince them ,wouldn't it?

An old guy with an accent... brilliant! :D

I don't think it's the money that causes "experts" to be the way they are. Although it's usually safe to assume that the higher-priced "experts" are the worst of the bunch. The ones who ask a reasonable amount seem to be fairly competent. YMMV.

Kind of the way software goes. For example, Adobe Photoshop. The most asinine photo-editing software known to man, but also the most expensive (and the one the "experts" must have). One of my primary fields is graphic design, and I don't ever need to even touch Photoshop (thank goodness!) to get the job done.

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Yep, good comment, Brandel Valico (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=116138).

I think it all comes down to what's easiest. With Windows, and certainly in the past several years you can include Macs here, you have what's the standard, what is the norm, what 'everybody' has, and what's liked. So what if it's expensive. To join the rest, especially as that's all you see in the media, it's a small price to pay. Then there's Linux, and Ubuntu, where you have extremely limited media on, a smaller percentage of folks who even know about it, and sadly, a lot of myths about it's instability and apparently (like here with my grandparents) issues of illegality, all designed to give people cause to avoid, even if they are much cheaper, and in all reality, free.

I always get a little smile at how so many of the huge companies and businesses use some for of Unix/Linux instead of Windows. Shows that when it comes to the important things, that's the preferred choice. Funny though, as such companies and businesses make their money on the success of Microsoft, and other costly alternatives/things that are expensive yet are what fuels the markets, yet when it comes down to what they use to protect and organize their relatiions with such, they choose Linux, which, while bastardize in many ways through various means, such as with Google lately with their Android phones, is at it's core free and open source, not a major market player, and mostly driven by the public.

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hehe, alright Wojox. ;) That's great you use Linux. I've gone to fellow computer 'experts' before and most never seen a Linux computer. That's right, find it extremely foreign. You would think it'd be quite important to learn at least something about them, and be able to accept them as a valid alternative to appease those of use who use it, and might actually take it in to get it fixed on.

handy
October 31st, 2010, 10:27 AM
In the real world of fixing computer problems, degrees & certification mean absolutely nothing when compared to hard won empirical knowledge.

I'd place my money on the self taught enthusiast who has been teaching themselves a broad range of practical IT skills for many years, over the Dr. or Professor, (let alone their students) any day.

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Right on, Handy.

Just because they weren't taught the 'right' way, through what society calls 'higher education' and what seems to be sadly the only means to truly get credentials to show you actually know something, doesn't mean that's the only way and their knowledge isn't just as good. Often, it's much better. I often take those folks that work hard in the real world and what they teach over anybody who lived in a classroom anyday. Not to say I am prejudice that way entirely or anything.

Joeb454
October 31st, 2010, 10:46 AM
In the real world of fixing computer problems, degrees & certification mean absolutely nothing when compared to hard won empirical knowledge.

Where do I fit into this? I'm in the final year of my degree, and have a (hopefully fairly good) knowledge of Linux, Windows & Mac.

Not to mention a number of my lecturers prefer to run linux, and all the PC's (including the Mac's, which triple boot) can run Ubuntu.

Admittedly, there's a lot of people at my uni that you wonder why they're still there, but about 10% of the year group are actually knowledgeable about things that don't quite fit the degree title (Software Engineering)

Megaptera
October 31st, 2010, 11:44 AM

I'd place my money on the self taught enthusiast who has been teaching themselves a broad range of practical IT skills for many years, over the Dr. or Professor, (let alone their students) any day.

I think that's a bit too harsh ... my bro' in law is a self-taught enthusiast on Windows & Mac ... you name it he can install a hacked or pirated version of most any prog. I don't think a cert.tech would be fool enough to do that!!

As ever ... proceed with caution when getting help!!

robsoles
October 31st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Supposed experts who speak against Linux, whether Ubuntu specifically or more broadly, expose themselves as not being worth talking to when they are speaking to people who research before or after checking what 'experts' may say.

It would be cool to hear that Canonical took the expert in question to court and made him pay for community service ads in OP's grandparent's region for six months :)

handy
October 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Where do I fit into this? I'm in the final year of my degree, and have a (hopefully fairly good) knowledge of Linux, Windows & Mac.

Not to mention a number of my lecturers prefer to run linux, and all the PC's (including the Mac's, which triple boot) can run Ubuntu.

Admittedly, there's a lot of people at my uni that you wonder why they're still there, but about 10% of the year group are actually knowledgeable about things that don't quite fit the degree title (Software Engineering)

My definition was very broad (too broad probably). In the corporate landscape, people with a genuine practical grasp of what they have learned at school can go on to get jobs with IBM & such; if they are smart enough they can go onto becoming system architects & beyond (like my nephew did for some time), being permanently stationed with your own office at a corporate customers facility.

Though the real world I was talking about was the one where the little people & the little businesses live.

The variety of problems that can be thrown up there, underlined by the dramatic disinclination that, that sector has to spend any money, (as opposed to the big multi-bum on seat people who under certain conditions (too many definitions needed here. lol) must & will spend the shareholders money on problems.)

My own IT business existed in the world of the little people. So I know of what I speak from experience. In that world a huge amount of unpaid time MUST go into your working week, or you just can not stay in business. Word of mouth will make you or brake you in that world, at least in the environment of small country towns it will anyway.

handy
October 31st, 2010, 12:38 PM
I think that's a bit too harsh ... my bro' in law is a self-taught enthusiast on Windows & Mac ... you name it he can install a hacked or pirated version of most any prog. I don't think a cert.tech would be fool enough to do that!!

As ever ... proceed with caution when getting help!!

I can't speak for what a cert.tech would do.

What I do know about business, is that a happy, satisfied customer, becomes a loyal customer & they tell their friends about you.

& that is how to stay in business.

Megaptera
October 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM
What I do know about business, is that a happy, satisfied customer, becomes a loyal customer & they tell their friends about you.

& that is how to stay in business.
I fully agree!!!

Oxwivi
October 31st, 2010, 01:13 PM
This seriously pissed me off. I absolutely hate those who fabricate about things that they know nothing about. If it was me, I'd have get that guy beat him up, if at all possible. Seriously, there should be a foundation to teach people about the legality of FOSS and sue people like these. I'd gladly help if there's any such foundation in existence.

DJ_Peng
October 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM
It takes an amateur to mess something up... but to REALLY screw something up requires an "expert". :P
Great quote! I've already put it on Facebook but it really needs to go into KDE's Fortunes plasmoid.

handy
October 31st, 2010, 02:20 PM
This seriously pissed me off. I absolutely hate those who fabricate about things that they know nothing about. If it was me, I'd have get that guy beat him up, if at all possible. Seriously, there should be a foundation to teach people about the legality of FOSS and sue people like these. I'd gladly help if there's any such foundation in existence.

There are such organisations, EFF (http://www.eff.org/) for example, but they spend their time trying to fry much bigger fish.

Yvan300
October 31st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, as I've only ever used this site for asking and answering specific questions, but I just have to share this, so here goes:

I just learned today my grandparents, who actually take their computer in to get it serviced on over the dumbest little things relatively frequently (why they don't ask me I'll never know), got quite the talking to about the evils of Ubuntu, and how illegal such a thing is to even have in one's possession. That's right, you heard me.

Here's the story:

My grandparents run Vista on a somewhat modern machine, and every now and then mess it up to the point of needing assistance. Occasionally they talk to me, who actually fixes the things, and I always do what I can from afar, but for any issue deemed 'serious' in their eyes, they take it to an 'expert'.

On one of my visits a while back, I brought a custom Ubuntu live dvd I made so they can try it out. They loved it, but was a tad too wary to just forget Windows and try it full time. That and I was also wary as they are actually one of those few who still use dial up and I know how that can be hard with Linux, and Ubuntu.

Anyway, a few months back, they had trouble turning on their computer, so instead of taking it to me, they went to this 'expert'. Basically, his 'fix' was to use the reinstall disc that came with their laptop to restore the whole thing. Literally, he turned the computer on, popped the disc in, and clicked a few buttons, overwriting everything. $100+ later, 'all fixed'.

Finally, today, I learned they took it in again because their internet connection was having issues. So, being retired folks with a little money to waste, they took it in. The guy, who I believe was the very same one as before, sold them a new phone cord and some other cable for an insane amount.

THEN, my grandmother mentioned how she has this Ubuntu disc on hand and was curious about if it'd run more smoothly on her machine and give her less trouble. And here's what he said to her:

"Oh, Ubuntu is extremely dangerous. Don't ever install it. I have a friend that had it on his computer once and because it's so incredibly illegal, he was fined in excess of $10,000, and had to go through a bunch of court things because of it, including some jail time, I believe. Stay away."

So of course, being from a generation who listens to 'experts' no matter what, they probably will never use it again.

Does anybody else think this is such a sad reflection of how many of these so-called computer 'experts' are in terms of what is not the norm, and what they can't easily fix? And lying to old folks; pathetic.

I hate people who think their smart. Going around preaching the laws of technology and don't even realize they're talking a load of bull :(

corrytonapple
October 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM
I suggest you call him and get him straight so the next time your parents some in he can say the truth about Ubuntu. But hey, I am in a same position. My mom believes that Ubuntu is illegal because it is free. The open-source project in her opinion is just a scam to get people in. I have met many of you now and talk to you on Skype or Pidgin, real people. We have come together with a common interest. Ubuntu. To see them steered away from such a great community, well that is very sad. Trust me, Geek Squad will try to scam you and lie to you. It takes some effort to set them straight, but it can be done. :) I bought my laptop from them and my dad (Who is very computer illiterate.) who picked it up, got me ripped off by $100 for restore discs and a trial version of Trend Micro AV, which both of which I could have done myself.

MooPi
October 31st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Generally I can spot a blow hard computer expert in a second or two. They have an air about them that says I know it all and you don't. The trouble with computer knowledge is you can't know it all because I believe it is beyond the human scope of reality. Most folks can be content to know a segment of the computer industry and be happy. If a tech tells you they can fix anything walk away, If they will try and honestly quote that some things just aren't fixable stay and listen. Because I've given my services away for years I generally hear the horror stories of the other tech experience and people get taken constantly. I have even excluded telling some people that the last tech just screwed then sideways because it would only damage their already fragile attitude about tech help. I will be starting a tech service soon and will advertise that I'm just a nuts and bolts guy and I've learned all I know from hands on experience. Hopefully an honest approach will be worth a dedicated customer base.

handy
October 31st, 2010, 02:56 PM
@MooPi: If you have a local paper that gives you a discount for a smallish size add (approx' 5"x3" was what ours did/does) on the proviso that you fill it with helpful advice, with of course your business name & contact details tastefully included...

It is a great way to get people to know that you exist & to also build credibility for your knowledge. Basically you accelerate the creation of your desired reputation.

It worked for me. I only advertised that way for the initial 6 months, then never again for the next 10 years until I retired.

I had people coming up to me in the street & complaining that I had stopped putting my hints & tips in the paper. Some customers, when I visited for the first time had my little articles cut out & stuck on a caulk board in their office/computer room.

I know it works.

Dr. C
October 31st, 2010, 03:10 PM
@MooPi: If you have a local paper that gives you a discount for a smallish size add (approx' 5"x3" was what ours did/does) on the proviso that you fill it with helpful advice, with of course your business name & contact details tastefully included...

It is a great way to get people to know that you exist & to also build credibility for your knowledge. Basically you accelerate the creation of your desired reputation.

It worked for me. I only advertised that way for the initial 6 months, then never again for the next 10 years until I retired.

I had people coming up to me in the street & complaining that I had stopped putting my hints & tips in the paper. Some customers, when I visited for the first time had my little articles cut out & stuck on a caulk board in their office/computer room.

I know it works.

What an excellent idea

Lancro
October 31st, 2010, 03:13 PM
I would say a lot of things here, but im better in reading english than writing it xD.

I studied UNIX at the university, I dont remember anything about it, that was 10 years ago and we didnt learn a great thing...

The operative system teacher, that was the one teaching us unix, gave us a unix distro, we asked her, can we use linux?, she answered, "I dont know, better use this".

Debian was beggining, and the linux number one distro was red hat, finally we used unix, with no X enviroment, so it looked too hard for me, now I tried ubuntu because I thought it was the best choice for installing apache, in windows skype use the same ports xD, and I have discovered a new world, and I built my own computer, I was programing basic with 12 years, but I was a windows expert..., and I have never recommended linux, but now Im afraid of not doing it...

Now Im a linux noob, and I feel better that when I was an average user of windows, there are a lot of things to learn, Its faster, Its safest, I didnt expect this from linux, the fact is, that you have to try it to see the truth, and only a few will do it without an expert advise, linux is spreading from mouth to mouth, theres a whole universe under linux, as linux users, we must discover the world that there is something else than windows, that they can choose another plataform, because freedom is a matter of choosing, if they cant choose, they arent free.

handy
October 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
It is all complicated by the MS vendor lock-in. I think that Linux distros will just slowly keep on becoming more popular as more (mostly young) people have a go for whatever reason.

The other thing, is that China, Russia & I think (to a lesser extent at this stage) India, are all moving away from MS & to Linux.

We have about half of the worlds population there I think. :)

TriBlox6432
October 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM
You didn't say "Best Buy" once, nor "Geek Squad."

So, I must ask. Is my stereotyping accurate, or not?

At my local Geek Squad at Best Buy, almost all are totally incompetent. However, there is one dude that I would always demand if I ever used it, but I can fix most problems myself. He knows extensively about *nix and specializes in Ubuntu as a hobbyist. And he's good with hardware too. Sadly, only one in the entire store . . .

On a side note, I asked a sales rep if they had any PCs that come with Linux or no OS (I knew that they didn't, but I figure if someone bugs them enough, they might) and his response was: Linux? What's an OS? I literally just turned around and walked away without another word.

I think that Linux distros will just slowly keep on becoming more popular as more (mostly young) people have a go for whatever reason.

This. I'm 15, and I started using Ubuntu at either Hardy or Intrepid (back when I very first started, I actually didn't pay attention to which version. I know I've used Intrepid on my laptop, but I might have installed Hardy on the old desktop, not sure). The reason: Someone on another forum mentioned wanting to install Ubuntu, and I had to try it out because I thought I was ultra-geek with Windows (I knew how to defrag and change the theme :D ) and logically if I used this "ubuntu thing" I would be even more of a geek. Now I just use Ubuntu because I prefer it. Use Ubuntu 100% on my own machines. Have to use XP at school though.

chris200x9
October 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm sure glad I run arch...no crazy $10,000 ubuntu fines for me :D

weasel fierce
October 31st, 2010, 06:24 PM
A while back, one of these consumer rights shows did a test where they went to a number of different computer repair places. The machine they brought were perfectly fine, except a cable was unplugged (hard drive possibly, I don't remember)

Out of 10 places, 8 of them, suggested all sorts of expensive fixes from replacing hard drives to replacing the entire motherboard.
One explained what the issue was but charged a hefty fee for the consultation.
One guy, who did computer repairs out of his garage, just plugged it in and gave them the machine back.

cra1g321
October 31st, 2010, 06:38 PM
If its free and distributed via bittorrent then it must be illegal ;)

To all those talking about geek squad, they charge $30 just to update the firmware of the ps3 :-s (something which anyone can easily do)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/best_buy_geek_squad_charging_30_free_ps3_firmware_ updates

theraje
October 31st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Generally I can spot a blow hard computer expert in a second or two. They have an air about them that says I know it all and you don't. The trouble with computer knowledge is you can't know it all because I believe it is beyond the human scope of reality. Most folks can be content to know a segment of the computer industry and be happy.

Another phrase: "One with little knowledge can be more dangerous than one with no knowledge whatsoever."

I'm full of 'em, folks. Er... phrases, that is. :P

MooPi
October 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
It is all complicated by the MS vendor lock-in. I think that Linux distros will just slowly keep on becoming more popular as more (mostly young) people have a go for whatever reason.

The other thing, is that China, Russia & I think (to a lesser extent at this stage) India, are all moving away from MS & to Linux.

We have about half of the worlds population there I think. :)

You forgot Brazil, which has a large Linux foot print. Thanks for the advice on advertisement :)

Mr Bean
October 31st, 2010, 08:08 PM

I know it works.

Good idea. What kind of hints and tips would you write?

inameiname
October 31st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wow, I see my little ranting today has continued on a life of it's own. It's always glad to see I'm not alone.

Boy, there was quite a bit of good comments I could comment on since I was last on here.

I do think that those folks who make up ridiculous things about something they either don't like, or just because it's different and perhaps more foreign, is most assuredly bad and worth, are just making themselves look quite ignorant. Much the same way as going to a mechanic and have them try to hose you over an oil change or something. Personally, as a computer repair dude, I love going to such places and seeing just what sort of stupid remarks comes out of their mouths. It's comical, albeit sad. I often walk away from such with a lesser appreciation for humanity and the decent human being. Over time and how often this occurs, it is indeed a serious thing for me. Sad, sad, sad.

But then again, I go into a nice place, one where the people actually seem to know their stuff, and are only interested in fixing only what's broken, which is sort of their job after all, and I get a renewed faith in humanity. I know of one such place near me actually. As someone mentioned the only honest guy in their comment was a dude in a garage, who just plugged the hard drive in at no cost, who I'm speaking of is a couple of guys who actually work out of this extremely small shack on the corner of a small street in the country. This place is barely the size of maybe two rooms, and filled, and I mean filled, with various computer parts all thrown together on a bunch of metal racks. Going inside reminds me of going into some garage that has been used for storage. Anyway, while I usually just fix things on my own, there have been times when I've gone in, and they were more than happy to help all they can, never asking for anything in return. Certainly plenty of advice was given at no charge. And this is to a rare customer, not even a regular. In all, that's the kind of folks I want around.

Oh, and too that dude, or dudette, who offered to beat up the guy who swindled my grandparents, thanks. ;)

And to the person talking about a similar experience with their mother, it's amazing how many similar stories are out there. That whole 'free' and 'open-source' is such a concern for folks. But, as people living in the modern world, we grow up learning that most things in life aren't free. There's always a catch. The whole concept is just hard to grasp. Then, in addition, we have the competitors who are anything but free, who have controlled the market in their realm thus far, who always seem to slant things to their own benefit. That and hide the existence to others about less competitors. No wonder most people who aren't very geeky know little to nothing about Linux.....we have Microsoft and Apple and all sorts of other companies live and breathe on the air waves 24/7, most computers only ever come with it, and for years, and as such, it is what is known. And to most folks who aren't interested in seeing beyond the media, there is nothing more.

But as another person said, Linux needs to be seen, before judged. Try it out, play around with it, and then decide which to choose. I provide options to my grandparents, and many others, that's all. I don't coerce others into saying Microsoft is the enemy, and Linux is the savior. I don't slant things to my own benefit. And I certainly don't ask for anything in return. I merely like showing off something that I enjoy, that I think runs better, and is better for the average non-gamer user. Simple enough?

Why can't all computer 'experts' just do what they get paid for, and show some integrity, and stop following in these big corporations' footsteps.

NightwishFan
October 31st, 2010, 09:53 PM
Once I went to buy a computer in Best Buy, and I got the nice older fellow to advise me. I admitted I was going to be replacing Windows on the machine with Ubuntu so I would avoid the whole "Sign up for anti-virus" spiel. He told me that he dabbled in Linux too and that I probably am not looking for the most powerful machine *because linux doesn't need it*. He pointed me out to an Asus laptop that turns out runs with all open source drivers.

The first out of perhaps 15 times I was not scammed by their people. :)

Windows Nerd
October 31st, 2010, 10:17 PM
Once I went to buy a computer in Best Buy, and I got the nice older fellow to advise me. I admitted I was going to be replacing Windows on the machine with Ubuntu so I would avoid the whole "Sign up for anti-virus" spiel. He told me that he dabbled in Linux too and that I probably am not looking for the most powerful machine *because linux doesn't need it*. He pointed me out to an Asus laptop that turns out runs with all open source drivers.

The first out of perhaps 15 times I was not scammed by their people. :)

Lucky you, I just can't shop at the local Best Buy anymore because of the Geek Squad Ignorance there. I just have to have a look at the "services" that their "highly trained and knowledgeable employees" do. I can do all of those myself, and I would never charge the same prices they do...if I did, I would have way too much money than is good for a person in secondary school :).

NightwishFan
October 31st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Go for it, and donate the dividend to open source. :)

Edit: I might try to get Ubuntu certified and become and Ubuntu member so I can feel comfortable doing pay for tech support.

Mr Bean
October 31st, 2010, 10:30 PM
And here's what he said to her:

I don't know what's scarier: the possibility that he was wilfully lying, or the possibility that he thought he was telling the truth!

The mind boggles.

The tech support staff in big box computer stores are 90% salesmen pretending to be techies. Their solution is more often than not a fresh install of Windows, and they often do this without telling the customer that all their data will be destroyed. Their data could be recovered, easily in most cases, but the so-called "experts" don't care.

Anyone who wilfully destroys your data (and pretends that what they're doing is worth a days wages) cannot be considered a computer expert in my eyes.

Red_Steve
October 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Every time I see this picture I got from "Chuck" of the Best Buy bunch is seemingly a real clichee (which in turn oftentimes has a grain of truth in it) I'm glad I've never experienced that kind of blatantly open incompetence over here in germany. Our techs aren't the brightest ones either but at least they fear their customers wrath and disposition to complain about bad service hard enough to get themselves on the save side. Which means they will tell you about even the least possible problems which could occur if they lay hand on your computer.

Most of them haven't heard about linux or ubuntu too. Actually I've never met anyone in the know of linux besides my programming class teacher at university.

robsoles
November 1st, 2010, 12:01 AM

Anyone who wilfully destroys your data (and pretends that what they're doing is worth a days wages) cannot be considered a computer expert in my eyes.

I don't claim to be an expert and I hate the living misery out of it when a self proclaimed expert (or worse still, a certified one) advises any form of loss for some little gain where the entire gain could have been had without the loss - I particularly hate it when it's done and I would have fixed it up more losslessly for the victim for their smile alone.

It is too easy to retain data these days.

inameiname
November 1st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Oh, well see, Mr Bean, who knows if anything he said to my grandparents was the truth. I could make up a story about a 'friend' who got suckered by the big bad Ubuntu too. Who knows what's the truth with those types.

Also, one thing I'd like to point out is you can't entirely blame those folks from Geek Squad and similar as you mustn't forget they are making not much more than minimum wage; it's the companies that make the big bucks from the scams these workers are forced to do. You know, that whole, "you do this, or you're fired." I'm sure that's a part of it. Guess I'm doing the blame game. It various with folks and businesses of course, and how much they themselves are after your ignorance, and your fears, as was the case with this dude.

handy
November 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM
You forgot Brazil, which has a large Linux foot print. Thanks for the advice on advertisement :)

I did too. :)

Re. the advertisement; my pleasure. :D

Good idea. What kind of hints and tips would you write?

It was all MS stuff for me in those days, & I had a great book that was chock full of hints & tips (no idea what it was called & it is long gone).

So I just selected the most useful to the general public, tips from the book & put them into my little space in the local weekly paper.

Mr Bean
November 1st, 2010, 01:07 AM
Also, one thing I'd like to point out is you can't entirely blame those folks from Geek Squad and similar as you mustn't forget they are making not much more than minimum wage; it's the companies that make the big bucks from the scams these workers are forced to do.

That's a good point.

I wouldn't even say that the work they do is a scam per se. But the way it's sold can be pretty deceitful. It's not uncommon for stores to ding people for a service plan which costs between 50 and 100% of what the machine cost.

I guess that's how people see computers... as grumpy boxes that are almost guaranteed to break within a couple of years. If they didn't think that then how could they justify spending so much on service plans. Beats me.

handy
November 1st, 2010, 01:23 AM
It is not uncommon for people to buy a whole new system when their Windows system becomes corrupt to the point that no one in their family, or any school friends, can fix it.

A bit sad really.

cloyd
November 1st, 2010, 03:51 AM
Best Buy . . . what can I say? I was foolish to pay to have a new machine "optimized". When I got it home, as far as I could see, they had done absolutely nothing. There was still trial-ware on the machine. I removed it myself. My wife had trouble with a new machine, and called geek squad. Machine was brand new, and had trouble right off the bat. The tech scolded her and told her she was visiting bad web sites. She had just used it for the first time, and had visited 1 (one) site she have visited a hundred times before on her old machine. But then again, I'm sure they are not all the same. I'm likely to buy another machine at Best Buy. But I'm not likely to ask them for technical advice. And, I'll install Ubuntu, so I won't use geek squad. I won't buy any optimization programs.

However, I've mentioned Ubuntu. The main thing I've been told is "well, there just aren't enough applications out there for it."

Really.

Yes, there could be more, but there is more than I can use right now. It is amazing the number of misconceptions there are out there.

NightwishFan
November 1st, 2010, 03:59 AM
As far as amount of apps. I remember before I knew what Linux was I was upset all the cool sounding applications I wanted to try in Source Forge were all .tar.gz (whatever that was) for this Linux thing. >_<

I think they actually mean applications people are used to are missing. Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center.. etc.. Also, expensive pro tools such as Photoshop that the open source alternatives are still catching up to.

I will not say no to having proprietary tools available for the Linux platform for those who want them. I am pretty sure I never will and will never have to register with a key code ever again.

Khakilang
November 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM
Over here the Linux user is practically on their own. I haven't come across any tech support that know Linux. So if I need to claim hardware warranty, I had to format to Window and hand it over them.

witeshark17
November 1st, 2010, 04:13 AM
It takes an amateur to mess something up... but to REALLY screw something up requires an "expert". :P Nice! And that 'expert' is clearly, well enough said... :lolflag:

inameiname
November 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
The excuse that Linux has so little software out there to use has been one of the big ones for ages. But in the past few years, I don't think you can use that 'excuse' anymore as to not choosing a Linux distro OS. While there isn't as much as with Windows in total numbers, I believe we have amassed quite a collection. And the fact that most of the bigger companies have decided to add a Linux version helps too. Really, the issue that comes with that sort of thing is still those folks who can't give up a specific software, to the point of keeping Windows for just that reason.

For me, when it comes to the big chain electronic stores, I rarely, if ever, actually take as fact whatever they say. Sort of the same way auto salespeople act with customers....they want to sell something. I'm not saying they are trying to cheat you per say, but they are certainly there to get your money, not to give advice. I'm sure there's a dilemma for the good ones as to whether they do what they are supposed to do, try and get the most out of a person, ie, sell the best and top computer and all it's accessories, but yet be a human being and give sage advice on finding only what a person is looking for.

Johnsie
November 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Ubuntu is fine for home use if all you do is use a web browser. Anything beyond that and you're better off with Windows.

NightwishFan
November 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Ubuntu is fine for home use if all you do is use a web browser. Anything beyond that and you're better off with Windows.

And yet I an can manage to do music production and photography.

robsoles
November 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
And yet I an can manage to do music production and photography.

And my Boss does all his business on it (Office Desktop & Home Laptop), our chief Electronics Engineer does a lot with it.

I admit they are running VMs of XP to use seriously Windows dependent software but all their mail and document handling is all Open Source in Ubuntu with no dramas.

My VM at home hasn't fired up for ages as I find ways to get what I want and or need done without Windows anymore.

kaldor
November 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM
The biggest software complaint I have with Linux is IMing. Apart from some specific applications, IMing on Linux is way behind. Sometimes I need to boot up my Mac simply to voicechat with friends. This is something that keeps some people I know from switching to Linux, and rightfully so.

-MSN/Windows Live is decent on Linux. File transfer rates are SLOW as hell though. Also, everyone I know uses that MSN Plus pack (not sure of the name) which allows you to colour your name. Whenever I need to use MSN to talk to someone, I hate talking to a guy who has an illegible name.

- YIM is frustrating. A good friend of mine uses YIM and I don't even bother trying to talk to him on Linux via any of the YIM clients. What's the point if I cannot share files, voice chat, video chat, or do ANYTHING besides type? I always have to say "Sorry, I'm on Linux right now" if he tries to send me something.

- Skype is good, but lagged compared to Windows version.

- Google Talk is hit/miss. Same issues as YIM for me.

I don't think anybody I know likes the "ugly and outdated" look that Pidgin and Empathy have either.

I can see where this would bother some people a lot more than others :)

weasel fierce
November 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption#Supercomputers

weasel fierce
November 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
The excuse that Linux has so little software out there to use has been one of the big ones for ages. But in the past few years, I don't think you can use that 'excuse' anymore as to not choosing a Linux distro OS. While there isn't as much as with Windows in total numbers, I believe we have amassed quite a collection. And the fact that most of the bigger companies have decided to add a Linux version helps too. Really, the issue that comes with that sort of thing is still those folks who can't give up a specific software, to the point of keeping Windows for just that reason.

From my experience when people say that, what they generally mean is:
This one particular application I use isn't there, and I dont want to learn a new one

inameiname
November 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Precisely, weasel fierce (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=26186). If something isn't broke, why fix it? I know windows, and I like my favorite application, *****. - Thats the mindset for most folks I know.

Of course, let's wait until Windows 8 comes out, and see if more start looking around, as Microsoft always seems to have a somewhat stable version, then one nobody likes. Sort of a cyclical thing. :P

Spice Weasel
November 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Of course, let's wait until Windows 8 comes out, and see if more start looking around, as Microsoft always seems to have a somewhat stable version, then one nobody likes. Sort of a cyclical thing. :P

Windows =<3.1 - Not an OS, so doesn't count.
Windows 95 - Okay
Windows NT 4.0 - Better
Windows 98 - Godawful
Windows 98SE - Better
Windows ME - Mistake Edition
Windows 2000 - Awesome
Windows XP - Okay
Windows 2003 - Not sure
Windows Vista - Ew.
Windows 2008 - Not sure
Windows 7 - Okay

The versions for workstations and servers tend to be better.

handy
November 2nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
98SE was a big improvement on 98.

The only good thing about ME was it introduced System Restore. (Probably because it needed it so badly!)

Sean Moran
November 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM

I define that as a criminal offenCe. Hang him high.

jroa
November 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
When I read the original post, I could not help but picture in my head how the actual conversation went. I see it as something like this.

Grandpa: "Thanks for fixing my computer again, kid. Say, my grandson gave me a free Windows disk that he said was better than what I have on my computer. What do you think?"

Kid at computer shop: "What do you mean?"

Grandpa: "My grandson downloaded this Windows disk from the internet. He said it works better than the Windows on my computer and that I should try it."

Kid at computer shop: "It is illegal to download Windows and use it without paying for it. It is called software piracy."

Grandpa: "What? My son is doing illegal things on the internet?"

Kid at computer shop: "Yes, people who get caught pirating software can be fined a lot of money or even go to jail. You should not put it on your computer."

Later that day over the phone.

Grandpa: "The kid at the computer shop said that disk you gave me is illegal and I could go to jail or be fined for using it."

Grandson: "What? Unbuntu is not illegal."

Grandpa: "That is what he said. And he is an expert!"

Tristam Green
November 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
The OP reeks of sensationalist shenanigans. I call bull on the entire story.

Windows =<3.1 - Not an OS, so doesn't count.
Windows 95 - Okay
Windows NT 4.0 - Better
Windows 98 - Godawful
Windows 98SE - Better
Windows ME - Mistake Edition
Windows 2000 - Awesome
Windows XP - Okay
Windows 2003 - Not sure
Windows Vista - Ew.
Windows 2008 - Not sure
Windows 7 - Okay

The versions for workstations and servers tend to be better.

Bias much? Windows XP was phenomenal, Windows 98SE was awesome, Windows ME never gave me issue, and Windows 7 is nigh perfection.

Tristam Green
November 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
When I read the original post, I could not help but picture in my head how the actual conversation went. I see it as something like this.

Grandpa: "Thanks for fixing my computer again, kid. Say, my grandson gave me a free Windows disk that he said was better than what I have on my computer. What do you think?"

Kid at computer shop: "What do you mean?"

Grandpa: "My grandson downloaded this Windows disk from the internet. He said it works better than the Windows on my computer and that I should try it."

Kid at computer shop: "It is illegal to download Windows and use it without paying for it. It is called software piracy."

Grandpa: "What? My son is doing illegal things on the internet?"

Kid at computer shop: "Yes, people who get caught pirating software can be fined a lot of money or even go to jail. You should not put it on your computer."

Later that day over the phone.

Grandpa: "The kid at the computer shop said that disk you gave me is illegal and I could go to jail or be fined for using it."

Grandson: "What? Unbuntu is not illegal."

Grandpa: "That is what he said. And he is an expert!"

Grandson: "That guy is full of it. BRB I'm going to write about this on the UF despite the fact I didn't experience it firsthand"

Sean Moran
November 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Grandson: "That guy is full of it. BRB I'm going to write about this on the UF despite the fact I didn't experience it firsthand"
Don't forget that 90% of this World's people are morons. There is even a market out there for Tiddy-Bears if you market them to the right stations.
:)

sv87411
November 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM

@Johnsie... care to quote some examples of 'beyond that'?

I think Windows is fine for limited browsing of only really secure web sites, internet poker and spending your time updating virus and malware software. Anything beyond that and you're better off with Linux.

Spice Weasel
November 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Bias much? Windows XP was phenomenal, Windows 98SE was awesome, Windows ME never gave me issue, and Windows 7 is nigh perfection.

It's impossible to give your opinion on what OS is better without being biased, you just demonstrated that your self. :)

Tristam Green
November 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
It's impossible to give your opinion on what OS is better without being biased, you just demonstrated that your self. :)

"when in rome..."

inameiname
November 3rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Haha, nice reinvention there, jroa (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1115831), but Ubuntu was mentioned as being what was discussed, and it was Ubuntu specifically that was called out to be 'illegal' and etc, not just a downloaded OS disc. But anyway, I'm sure that scenario does happen often with folks who do download Windows online and whatnot.

And to Tristam...yes, I didn't experience firsthand. And yes, I decided to write about it as I thought others might find it interesting, and from the several comments here, I seem correct about that. What is a tad funny though, is the point of complaining about it and my '2nd-hand' experience. But I know some folks just tend to do that on this site. Whatever. We're all entitled to our opinions.

NightwishFan
November 3rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about pleasing everyone. :) Some folks (including myself at times) just like to cause trouble.

inameiname
November 3rd, 2010, 02:10 AM
Haha, yeah, we all get like that at times. ;)

jroa
November 4th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Haha, nice reinvention there, jroa (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1115831), but Ubuntu was mentioned as being what was discussed, and it was Ubuntu specifically that was called out to be 'illegal' and etc, not just a downloaded OS disc. But anyway, I'm sure that scenario does happen often with folks who do download Windows online and whatnot.

And to Tristam...yes, I didn't experience firsthand. And yes, I decided to write about it as I thought others might find it interesting, and from the several comments here, I seem correct about that. What is a tad funny though, is the point of complaining about it and my '2nd-hand' experience. But I know some folks just tend to do that on this site. Whatever. We're all entitled to our opinions.

I hope you do not misunderstand. I was not saying that what you posted was wrong, I just could not help replaying the scene in my head and seeing a different version of what your grandpa told you, based on my own experiences.

You tell Grandpa your version of the truth, he tells the repair guy his version, the repair guy tells him his version, Grandpa tells you his version, and you post your version. It is kind of like that telephone game we played as a kid. When it gets back to you, the information is so garbled that it is completely different than it was when it left.

But, like I said, this is my imagination's version of what happened.

inameiname
November 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I understand, jroa. It's all good.

Ah, the telephone game. How I remember that in school. It is always an interesting experiment to show just how slanted different perspectives and interpretations of them can get.

Tristam Green
November 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I hope you do not misunderstand. I was not saying that what you posted was wrong, I just could not help replaying the scene in my head and seeing a different version of what your grandpa told you, based on my own experiences.

You tell Grandpa your version of the truth, he tells the repair guy his version, the repair guy tells him his version, Grandpa tells you his version, and you post your version. It is kind of like that telephone game we played as a kid. When it gets back to you, the information is so garbled that it is completely different than it was when it left.

But, like I said, this is my imagination's version of what happened.

This, only a hundred million times over.

Causing trouble indeed. Good Day, Sir.

donkyhotay
November 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM
A while back, one of these consumer rights shows did a test where they went to a number of different computer repair places. The machine they brought were perfectly fine, except a cable was unplugged (hard drive possibly, I don't remember)

Out of 10 places, 8 of them, suggested all sorts of expensive fixes from replacing hard drives to replacing the entire motherboard.
One explained what the issue was but charged a hefty fee for the consultation.
One guy, who did computer repairs out of his garage, just plugged it in and gave them the machine back.

While this seems a little unfair, ultimately you have to cover costs. Charging for HD/MoBo replacement is completely dishonest but charging for a consultation is something I would do if I was in that situation. You have to take time to verify the disconnected cable is the only problem, I've had issues where I've seen a disconnected cable and after connecting it found out that the HD had gone bad too. Since this takes time, and time is money, you have to charge people what you're time is worth otherwise you'll go out of business. Plugging in a cable in 30 seconds can lead to people coming back later that day complaining their system still isn't working. I took a small business class thinking I would open a computer repair shop at one point however after working out the numbers I found I couldn't compete with the big box stores. I fix computers on the side but I don't promote or really consider it a business as it's mostly friends/neighbors and sure I don't charge much but I do charge even for something that looks simple to make certain the system really is fixed afterwards.