PDA

View Full Version : Is Google Chrome safe?

ubudog
October 31st, 2010, 03:43 AM
In your opinion, is Google Chrome a safe browser to use? (Privacy, etc.)

v1ad
October 31st, 2010, 03:44 AM
yes, i would say it is one of the better ones.

ubudog
October 31st, 2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the response. Only thing I'll miss if I switch is the amazing add-on support for Firefox...

v1ad
October 31st, 2010, 03:56 AM
yea, that is one thing that was good in firefox. but switching is worth the differences. Chrome is a lot faster, built in flash (newer versions), and some of Google's specific Plugins that tend to be useful.

if using chrome instead of chromium you can get the Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on which tells your browser not to send information to Google.

also what i do first off, is enable the home button, and always show bookmarks in preferences, and set up sync. sync syncs my bookmarks, plugins and other features(you can select).

switched and it makes my life so much more easier.

thebarisaxkid
October 31st, 2010, 03:57 AM
Only thing I'll miss if I switch is the amazing add-on support for Firefox...

I think that google chrome has a fair amount of plugins (but definitely not as many as Firefox!) The only useful plugins for me that are supported in firefox is the dwhelper (allows you to download youtube videos) and adblock. Google Chrome has adthwart as well as adblock (adthwart, in my opinion, is better). I have not found an equivalent of dwhelper for Chrome. For this reason, I decided to keep both browsers. I only use firefox for that one plugin, but surfing the net is done with Chrome.

thebarisaxkid
October 31st, 2010, 03:59 AM
if using chrome instead of chromium...

What is the difference between the two?

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 31st, 2010, 04:00 AM
As far as privacy goes, they're all about the same. Google Chrome is faster than Firefox on my machine and it is easily one of the most secure if not the most secure browser as far as security holes go.

v1ad
October 31st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Chromium is usually updated before chrome. since chromium is actually the open source code. Google takes it from chromium and adds their analytic gathering feature and vendor it out as Chrome.

http://www.chromium.org/

also ChromiumOS is the Developer view of ChromeOS.

garvinrick4
October 31st, 2010, 04:11 AM
When I was using Windows I was running Chrome and enjoyed it. One day I was looking thru Windows task scheduler and noticed all scheduled tasks were Windows except one from Google. They found a way to get themselves into a Window specific application that must run 50 different timed events that run in background that most users would never know why or care. Adobe did not figure a way to get in but Chrome could. Really if anything you give a port into your machine to do updates has what we feel is a limited access but who really knows which is safer, not me.

Khakilang
October 31st, 2010, 04:23 AM
I had both Firefox and Chromium installed. I had Firefox crash once and was told to send in the crash report which I did. I use Firefox because of familiarity and Chromium just in case Firefox crashes again. Both are safe and secure but Chromium seem faster. Anyway I install Chromium from Ubuntu software center so I guess it is safe. Difference between Chrome and Chromium? I believe they are the same.

themarker0
October 31st, 2010, 05:06 AM
Use SRWWare Iron. This way all your data doesn't get sent to Google.

ubudog
October 31st, 2010, 05:27 AM
Use SRWWare Iron. This way all your data doesn't get sent to Google.

Awesome browser, never heard of it before. Thanks a lot! :)

darkhelmetchris
October 31st, 2010, 05:53 AM
Warning...

This partly depends on your OS. If you're using Chrome under Ubuntu, some flavor of GNU/Linux distro, or on a Mac, you are a lot safer. But please, beware, if you are using Chrome under Windows, understand that Chrome is very young, so be on the lookout. I have had the distinct pleasure of cleaning up *many Windows PC's where the user was told that Chrome is safe. Think carefully... under Linux or Mac, you have the added protection of a time-tested method of security provided by the OS, not the browser. You don't get that on Windows. All I'm saying is, it's young, and under Windows I've had to clean it up a lot, please exercise caution.

Now, if you're using it under Ubuntu, it's like everyone's saying.. fast, clean, and a genuine pleasure to use. The browser itself is quite nice.

Spr0k3t
October 31st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Chrome/ium is a safe browser... nothing like IE and the lowest common denominator marketshare found there. I keep it around for times when I don't have Firefox for some reason or another.

jbrown96
October 31st, 2010, 05:59 AM
Warning...

This partly depends on your OS. If you're using Chrome under Ubuntu, some flavor of GNU/Linux distro, or on a Mac, you are a lot safer. But please, beware, if you are using Chrome under Windows, understand that Chrome is very young, so be on the lookout. I have had the distinct pleasure of cleaning up *many Windows PC's where the user was told that Chrome is safe. Think carefully... under Linux or Mac, you have the added protection of a time-tested method of security provided by the OS, not the browser. You don't get that on Windows. All I'm saying is, it's young, and under Windows I've had to clean it up a lot, please exercise caution.

Now, if you're using it under Ubuntu, it's like everyone's saying.. fast, clean, and a genuine pleasure to use. The browser itself is quite nice.

Actually, Chrome's sandbox in Windows is significantly better than on any other platform.

NightwishFan
October 31st, 2010, 06:28 AM
I love apparmor on Linux though. It can do a lot if you use it creatively. Chromium seems safe to me though. I assume it is no worse than just being on the web anyway for getting information off of you.

ubudog
October 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
Firefox is aweosme, I love it, but want to try out some new browsers. Thanks for the support. :-)

koleoptero
October 31st, 2010, 10:19 AM
Firefox is aweosme, I love it, but want to try out some new browsers. Thanks for the support. :-)

Try some others as well. Midori and rekonq are quite nice. They don't have a huge galore of addons, but they have a lot of built-in functionality that makes up for some of them.

ubudog
October 31st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Try some others as well. Midori and rekonq are quite nice. They don't have a huge galore of addons, but they have a lot of built-in functionality that makes up for some of them.

Thanks! :)