PDA

View Full Version : Verizon FiOS w/Ubuntu?

Aviatrixie
April 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Hi fellow Ubuntuites,

I received a call from Verizon a couple of days ago informing me that FiOS was now available to me and I could upgrade at no additional charge. As I'm over 14,000' from the nearest CO (COVAD) I'm limited to 1.5 M down and about 340 k up on regular DSL. This would move me to 5 Meg down and I forget the up-put. For an additional $10/mo. I can get 15 Meg down and 2 meg up. As it sounded too good to pass up I signed up and to my surprise the tech will be here on the 19th to hook me up.

Anyway... I was sitting around tonight and got to thinking... will my Breezy even work with this? I'm building up to a bit of a rant... which is why I posted here. When I decided to finally go from dial-up to DSL it was because I was fed up with Windows and wanted to explore Linux. I've used computers since the very early 80's and have owned TI-99's, CPM's, C-64's Atari 8 bits, Mac's,
and every permutation of Windows.

When I first called Verizon to do my upgrade install I asked them if their DSL would work with Linux. They told me "no, I need Windows or Mac OS to install". I asked them if there was a work-around, and she told me "yes".

That's about as far as the conversation went. I loaded an old copy of 98se and got online, set up my DSL, yanked my 98se HD and installed a new drive and have only used Breezy since.

I did learn that Linux doesn't care so much about the modem used but does like HTCP or something like that. (Damn Small Linux, Puppy, Slax, Mepis, literally every distro I've used finds my connection with NO fiddling!)

So... next Wednesday the install person will arrive. I will have my old 98se HD ready to install his windows code and will tell him when he leaves that I will pull the windows drive and reinstall my beloved Ubuntu drive. My big question is... will my wonderful Breezy Badger work with my new Fiber Optics?

:::Rant over:::

So... Will my plan work, or will my home network crash into Bill Gate's greedy little lap?

Erika