PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Don't understand new desktop

DAVIDMC1001
October 31st, 2010, 02:34 AM
I used ubuntu 8.04 that I had added KDE to for several years and was happy. I decided to upgrade to kubuntu 10.04 since it is the next LTS after the version I had. But I am totally confused by the way the desktop works. I can not paste a file to my desktop only links. I think I may have closed a desktop worksheet when I first installed. How do I change the setting to get it to behave like that. I think I saw something about file management config but I am afraid to start deleting desktops, i have already reinstalled it once today !

zealibib slaughter
October 31st, 2010, 02:40 AM
The new KDE is kinda weird. The desktop isn't the same as the desktop folder from my understanding of it. In the top right hand corner there is a strange half yen-yang thing. Click that and go to add widget. Then add a folder view and set the properties (right click) for the desktop. I haven't found how to drag and drop or cut and paste directly to it, I think you have to do that in the file manager and actually open up the location for the desktop but I could be wrong though.

CraigPaleo
October 31st, 2010, 06:20 AM
If the desktop activity is set to "Folder View," you can drag and drop to the desktop but it should ask you if you want to move, copy, or create a link.

To make sure you're in Folder View, right click on the desktop and select "desktop settings". Click on "Activy" and chose "Folder View."

ankspo71
October 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM
+1,
Hi,
By default, the KDE 4x desktop has an "Activity" called "Desktop" view enabled. This prevents icons from being displayed or added to the desktop to keep the desktop cleared from clutter, even though your Desktop directory may have files in it. The only way around that is to use the "Folder View" widget, or change the activity to "Folder View" as described by the above poster. ...and I didn't understand it at first either.
Hope this helps.

DAVIDMC1001
November 2nd, 2010, 01:32 AM
That was it, I just don't understand why the desktop default is not folder view. Thanks !!:)

Zorael
November 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Basically it's a movement to introduce the workspace as being more than just a traditional set of icons (desktop metaphore). In the default Kubuntu setup there'll be a folder view widget upon first login, so it shouldn't be *that* foreign for new users. But perhaps there should be a Getting Started walkthrough introducing plasma, yes.