PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File and Printer Sharing

JoshDN
October 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know where to find good documentation on setting up file a printer sharing on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm using the desktop version, not server. I'm new to networking so something that covers all the basics would be great.

Thanks everyone!

SteveDee
October 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know where to find good documentation on setting up file a printer sharing on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm using the desktop version, not server. I'm new to networking so something that covers all the basics would be great.

Thanks everyone!

http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubulanprimer.html

JoshDN
October 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Just started reading the info here. This is excellent information!

Thanks for the help! I'll report the results.

JoshDN
October 31st, 2010, 05:54 AM
Well, the documentation above didn't quite work. I'm not sure if it was my operator error or the info is outdated. I was able to get everything working using the Samba Server Configuration Tool. It was in the Ubuntu software center and made things real simple. So right now I can share files and printers on all the computers on the network.

I am having trouble with permission settings for my windows 7 computers. I used the following command in a terminal to set the permissions for the shared directory.

chmod 777 /shared directoryAfter this the windows computers have read/write permissions for this directory only. If i create another directory inside this shared directory i also need to set the permissions for this folder as well. Is there a way to set permissions for the shared directory and all subdirectories with one command?

SteveDee
October 31st, 2010, 08:56 AM
I thought this was controlled by the #===Share Definitions=== section in /etc/samba/smb.conf {but I have not tried this}

Also checkout the samba conf manual, from a terminal:-

man smb.conf

Edit: I had another look at this: http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html

.... and I think you may need to set:-

# Directory creation mask ...
directory mask = 0777

luvshines
October 31st, 2010, 09:06 AM
I am having trouble with permission settings for my windows 7 computers. I used the following command in a terminal to set the permissions for the shared directory.

chmod 777 /shared directoryAfter this the windows computers have read/write permissions for this directory only. If i create another directory inside this shared directory i also need to set the permissions for this folder as well. Is there a way to set permissions for the shared directory and all subdirectories with one command?

Are you trying to modify permissions for shares that exist on Windows 7 and are being accessed from Ubuntu machine ?