PDA

View Full Version : Good Nintendo 64 controller for Linux?

bobmatino17
October 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Well, I love Zelda: Orcarina of Time, as im sure everyone else in the world does too. One day, my lovely N64 stopped outputting video:(, and to my rescue comes Mupen64. I was able to play, using my joystick (made for flight-sims) relatively well, but i was just wondering if there was any good controllers or N64-USB adapters that work well with linux.

del_diablo
October 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
You could use a normal Wiimote with a nunchuck if you have that and a bluetooth dongle around somewhere, as its quite similar in the button laying mapping.
Other than that, I saw some links to producers of controllers that was basically N64 on USB, with appropiate materials.
You could also google up a convertor.
So yeah ;P

Quadunit404
October 30th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Buy a wired Xbox 360 controller. Sure, you're paying Microsoft by doing that (and I know that not everybody here wants to do that) but it works beautifully out of the box and the controller feels great in my hands. I've noticed that games like Super Mario 64 control better with the 360 controller than the N64 controller :lol: (ah, irony...)

I'll try out OoT with the 360 controller I own and tell you how well it controls. If it handles well I'll say go for it.

ubudog
October 30th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Buy a wired Xbox 360 controller. Sure, you're paying Microsoft by doing that (and I know that not everybody here wants to do that) but it works beautifully out of the box and the controller feels great in my hands. I've noticed that games like Super Mario 64 control better with the 360 controller than the N64 controller :lol: (ah, irony...)

I'll try out OoT with the 360 controller I own and tell you how well it controls. If it handles well I'll say go for it.

Thanks, was looking for this too. Sad that I have to pay Microsoft. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

mister_playboy
October 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM
You can get N64 > USB adapters on eBay. Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-N64-PC-USB-controller-adapter-nintendo-64-2-port-/260673585665?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3cb15b4201

sendblink23
October 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
or just buy a cheap usb ps2 controller on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Shock-USB-PC-Controller-Game-pad-Joypad-Joystick-/260499412103?pt=PCA_Joysticks_Game_Controllers&hash=item3ca6f99487

Its only $1 & shipping is $4 - I have 2 of these & they work fine on Windows, Linux & Leopard/Snow - all emulators detect them.. so if you want a cheap game controller usb for computer get this honestly

bobmatino17
November 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Thank you for all of your suggestions, im sure one or more of them will work out.

ubudog
November 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
These suggestions will be useful to many people. Thanks!

JustinR
November 3rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
If your still looking for an emulator, Project64 renders perfectly on most games at full speed - even on a modest computer.

Its not natively Linux but all features work and still at full speed under Wine.

ubudog
November 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
If your still looking for an emulator, Project64 renders perfectly on most games at full speed - even on a modest computer.

Its not natively Linux but all features work and still at full speed under Wine.

Cool. :)