PDA

View Full Version : Macbuntu --- why did I do this?

cloyd
October 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have always admired macs. Don't want to pay for one, but I admire them. One of the things I liked was the cool colored buttons . . . and then the dock was nice to. I saw this thing "theme" called "Macbuntu" and tried it.

Do I like it? I don't know. I like the buttons (dumb). I like stacking windows, then moving the cursor down to the lower right corner and seeing miniatures or all the those windows on the screen, and allowing me to choose one.

I have not liked the apple logo. This is still ubuntu, and using the apple logo is just too much. Changed it on splash screen. But not on log in screen. Want to change it there.

Then, there are a few items of functionality that are different or lacking from standard Gnome. No bottom panel, and things minimize to one global menu in top panel and to Docky. Installed Window List. Don't really like docky, because it is slow. Got rid of it, and put a panel on the side for launch icons. Much better. Cannot clear my print cache from the GUI. Can clear it with "cancel -a" in terminal. (with two printers, I'm always trying to print with the wrong printer hooked up). My last problem, which I haven't solved (other than the apple on the log in screen) is I have yet to figure out how to load images in evolution. The option is no longer there.

There are a few other things. In compiz, I can't rotate the cube in a manner that will let me see the cube caps. I can live with that.

I don't know if I'm going to keep this or not. I think it will be harder to uninstall than it was to install. It seriously changed Gnome. I have learned a few things that I might set up differently . . . like a panel on the left side of the screen for all my launchers, and applets on the top panel. Conky keeps my desktop looking empty and I like the uncluttered look, and need the launchers somewhere, and I don't like docky because it is so slow.

Anyone else tried this? What do you think?

Gremlinzzz
October 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I have always admired macs. Don't want to pay for one, but I admire them. One of the things I liked was the cool colored buttons . . . and then the dock was nice to. I saw this thing "theme" called "Macbuntu" and tried it.

Do I like it? I don't know. I like the buttons (dumb). I like stacking windows, then moving the cursor down to the lower right corner and seeing miniatures or all the those windows on the screen, and allowing me to choose one.

I have not liked the apple logo. This is still ubuntu, and using the apple logo is just too much. Changed it on splash screen. But not on log in screen. Want to change it there.

Then, there are a few items of functionality that are different or lacking from standard Gnome. No bottom panel, and things minimize to one global menu in top panel and to Docky. Installed Window List. Don't really like docky, because it is slow. Got rid of it, and put a panel on the side for launch icons. Much better. Cannot clear my print cache from the GUI. Can clear it with "cancel -a" in terminal. (with two printers, I'm always trying to print with the wrong printer hooked up). My last problem, which I haven't solved (other than the apple on the log in screen) is I have yet to figure out how to load images in evolution. The option is no longer there.

There are a few other things. In compiz, I can't rotate the cube in a manner that will let me see the cube caps. I can live with that.

I don't know if I'm going to keep this or not. I think it will be harder to uninstall than it was to install. It seriously changed Gnome. I have learned a few things that I might set up differently . . . like a panel on the left side of the screen for all my launchers, and applets on the top panel. Conky keeps my desktop looking empty and I like the uncluttered look, and need the launchers somewhere, and I don't like docky because it is so slow.

Anyone else tried this? What do you think?

Have I tried Macbuntu no its a theme should be easy to uninstall.

Oxwivi
October 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
It's not a simple theme, it modifies the workings to make it look as Mac as possible.

I tried something similar (maybe Macbuntu, can't remember) some time ago, I just reinstalled. Sorry, can't help.

Decatf
October 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Theme packs on Linux are for the lazy. Also detrimental to the over experience since they tend to be put together by a handful of people. So it's basically built to suit their needs primarily.

Customize the functionality and look yourself. It may take time to massage it into something you are comfortable with but it pays off in the end.

cloyd
October 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Had I really understood just how much it was going to change Gnome, I may not have installed it. However, it has suggested some good things. I really think I can get things back to the way they were before the install (when I have the free time to chase things down if something goes haywire), but was wondering if anyone else had tried this and had any guidance. It's kinda cool, but I feel like its also a lie when we put the apple logo on it.

MacUntu
October 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Who called? http://design.canonical.com/wp-content/themes/canonical-design/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.png

PS: There's no 'b'! http://design.canonical.com/wp-content/themes/canonical-design/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.png

Edit:

Maybe this helps? http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/forums/forum/1205032/topic/3819181

KdotJ
October 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I tried this, and to be honest I think it's pretty good. They did a good job with it. I didn't let it install docky, as I already use AWN, but all I did was say no when it asked to download and install docky. Some of theme theme doesn't work that good, like undersized buttons in synaptic for example. I kept it for a while, and had no problems, except for having to setup my personal likings in compiz but that's no biggie. When I uninstalled it it all worked fine...

cloyd
October 30th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hey, thanks. I was just wanting to hear from somebody who had used it. It is kinda nice, but I don't know that I'll keep it. One of the things about Ubuntu -- you can keep on changing it; I don't think my desktop stays the same for 3 days in a row. Something changes.

KdotJ
October 31st, 2010, 02:01 AM
Very true. Funny enough since reading this thread I reinstalled Macbuntu lol. It still surprises me how good it is, and regardless of if it's meant to be Mac or not, it's very clean. Much like elementary...

panagath
April 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I want to use my "windows button" as a hot key for macbuntu. Is it possible? Thank you.

juancarlospaco
April 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM
You dont really need a point to do things, just do it because you can, thats it, you are free

panagath
April 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I want to use my "windows button" as a hot key for macbuntu. Is it possible? Thank you.

Is macbuntu's "expose" a standalone process that I can use with my hotkey? Or how should I do this?

Copper Bezel
April 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
It's just the Compiz Scale plugin (Macbuntu doesn't include any unique applications.) You can set it to any keystroke in CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm). I use a hot corner for it, myself.

NormanFLinux
April 21st, 2011, 01:21 AM
Not official... Canonical frowns on it. Should we call Ubuntu themed to look like Windows XP Winbuntu? Heh

3rdalbum
April 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
You mentioned a number of things that bugged you about Macbuntu, that you have changed.

Take pity on Mac users: They can't do the amount of customization on their Macs that you've done on your Mac OS theme on Ubuntu.

Rachel_Eliason
April 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
How about Asta La Vista, as in good bye Windows?