PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu vs Ubuntu netbook | Fresh install on a netbook

d8xter
October 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi folks,

I just bought a new netbook with DOS operating system. I want to do a fresh install of Ubuntu. I basically want to know the difference between Ubuntu & Ubuntu netbook versions, as in the UI experience. It is a 13 inch screen, so I can have a proper desktop experience, and thinking about doing a fresh install of 10.10.

Should I proceed with Ubuntu netbook? How is it any different in performance or UI categories.? These are my questions.

I could use a little help from some of netbook users here.

Thanks in advance.

Jechem
October 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hello,

In my opinion with your 13" screen I would use the desktop version. Netbook launcher for me is like having a cluttered screen. I like my screen tidy. I have an EEEPC 4G and I use the Gnome desktop and removed the netbook interface because with a 7" screen and all those big icons of the netbook launcher I feel my netbook looks like a kid's toy. The netbook launcher with its big icons is more suited for the tablet pc's with their touchscreen interface.

welshmike
October 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I agree with Jechem,

I first installed Ubuntu netbook remix version and the GUI made my ASUS 1001P 10 inch netbook (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-netbook-1-66GHz-Webcam-Windows/dp/B0039824MC/ref=sr_1_1/280-8281716-2057154?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273510461&sr=8-1) screen look like a kids toy and very much different from the previous Gnome desktops I have used on my laptop (or even MS Windows desktops).
Also there did not appear to be any performance disadvantage when I installed and I've now settled on 10.04.

d8xter
October 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hello,

In my opinion with your 13" screen I would use the desktop version. Netbook launcher for me is like having a cluttered screen. I like my screen tidy. I have an EEEPC 4G and I use the Gnome desktop and removed the netbook interface because with a 7" screen and all those big icons of the netbook launcher I feel my netbook looks like a kid's toy. The netbook launcher with its big icons is more suited for the tablet pc's with their touchscreen interface.

I agree with Jechem,

I first installed Ubuntu netbook remix version and the GUI made my ASUS 1001P 10 inch netbook (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-netbook-1-66GHz-Webcam-Windows/dp/B0039824MC/ref=sr_1_1/280-8281716-2057154?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273510461&sr=8-1) screen look like a kids toy and very much different from the previous Gnome desktops I have used on my laptop (or even MS Windows desktops).
Also there did not appear to be any performance disadvantage when I installed and I've now settled on 10.04.

Thanks a lot folks, pretty much the responses I was hoping for.

sgvaibhav
October 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
i have NBR on my FIVE (5) YEAR OLD laptop.

ur laptop sounds new.. so desktop edition will function smoothly...

snowpine
October 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
The interfaces are very different. You can find screenshots online that show you the difference, or if you want, you can burn a Live CD/Live USB of each and take them both for a test drive to see which you like best. I personally prefer the Desktop interface but that is purely opinion. :)