PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to log off through virtual terminal

adit
October 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
The gnome session crashed. The window manager, mouse are not responding. However I can get the virtual terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. I want to log off. What command should I issue?

FlameReaper
October 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
sudo service gdm stop

That should do it.

KdotJ
October 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
or if you need to reboot the machine,

sudo reboot

if you need to shut the machine down:

sudo shutdown -h now

adit
October 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM
sudo service gdm stop
I issued the above command from tty1. Then I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F8. I expect some graphical login screen. But there is only a blank screen with a cursor blinking at the top left corner (not able to get even a terminal). Whatever key I type there is no response.
I know simply rebooting the system will solve the problem. But I want to know what exactly is happening here? What is expected when I press Ctrl+Alt+F8.

FlameReaper
October 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM
sudo service gdm stop
I issued the above command from tty1. Then I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F8. I expect some graphical login screen. But there is only a blank screen with a cursor blinking at the top left corner (not able to get even a terminal). Whatever key I type there is no response.
I know simply rebooting the system will solve the problem. But I want to know what exactly is happening here? What is expected when I press Ctrl+Alt+F8.

Try to restart the gnome session via issuing the command

sudo service gdm start

in tty1 instead.

Your "Ctrl+Alt+F8" does not exist for me, so can't really tell what's there when you did that..