PDA

View Full Version : Open source is catchy

zubrug
April 16th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Procter & Gamble Co. (NYSE:PG - News) (No. 7) has done just that in transforming its traditional in-house research and development process into an open-source innovation strategy it calls "connect and develop." The new method? Embrace the collective brains of the world. Make it a goal that 50% of the company's new products come from outside P&G's labs. Tap networks of inventors, scientists, and suppliers for new products that can be developed in-house.

This from Business Weeks 25 most inovative companies. Interesting article also mentions open source software.:-k

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20060414/bs_bw/b3981401;_ylt=AjxVWnw2T7Gp3ICkxFHpaWKs0NUE;_ylu=X3 oDMTA3bGI2aDNqBHNlYwM3NDk-

marcos89
April 16th, 2006, 04:19 AM
cool :D

Lovechild
April 16th, 2006, 04:21 AM
that link is for a different article with the title: Ex-Exxon CEO's Massive Pension Draws Fire

zubrug
April 16th, 2006, 04:24 AM
oops, fixed

Lovechild
April 16th, 2006, 04:35 AM
It sounds a little like they want a solution like Microsoft' shared source rather than truly free software. I have no problem with them turning a buck but I do hope they embrace free software fully.

It sounds a lot like they imagine that people are dying to give them a shitload of free work without giving anything in return and then try to sell the product - I doubt it will turn out that way for them.

The only way I see this working if they manage to create a really good community around their product and they license the software under a competitive license like the GPL. If they manage to pull that off I could definately see them making good use of interested 3rd parties to help them develop their software. This would hopefully also apply to their clients in terms ot tracking down bugs and customizing the software.

But I wish them good luck