PDA

View Full Version : Need to add scripting language to my skill set, but which one?

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Folks:
I need to add a scripting language to my skill set; however, I am not sure which one to study. I am looking for something that can be used on both: windows and linux for future career goals, and resume needs.

Any suggestions?

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Pick one (or more) - python, perl, bash, etc.

They are all useful.

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Pick one (or more) - python, perl, bash, etc.

They are all useful.

I did not know that Python was a scirpting language. Since I read somewhere that you can make very in-depth games with Blender and Python, I thought of it as more a Java or C/C++ replacement with a lower learning curve.

Thank you for the help.

Personally, what do you like?

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I prefer bash, since I've messed with it a bit more then some of the other ones.

kevin11951
October 30th, 2010, 04:34 AM
For something that can run on Windows, Linux and Mac, I would suggest Python profusely!

Bash is better for simple stuff, but does not work on Windows... At least not easily.

Primefalcon
October 30th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Bash is unix/linux shell, it will work under cygwin.... but that's hardly native, so not cross platform.

Python is a scripting language... but a powerful one and would be my recommendation unless you want to invest the time to learn c++

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Yep, that's one of the downsides of something like bash - it only works on a *nix box.

I'd go for Python personally.

Primefalcon
October 30th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Yep, that's one of the downsides of something like bash - it only works on a *nix box.

I'd go for Python personally.
For Linux system admin, I'd say bash is a must though :-) hell for any nix power user I'd say it would be

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM
For Linux system admin, I'd say bash is a must though :-) hell for any nix power user I'd say it would be

Ok so you are saying to learn Python and Bash. Thanks...just needed some help, just really testing the waters.

I have read about Perl; however, it looks very cumbersome, yet I could be wrong.

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Well any shell scripting language, but I haven't really messed with any shell other then bash. ;)

Perl is powerful, but it has a fairly steep learning curve.

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Thank you all for you quick replies, and your help. I will start to learn Python, or at least get some resources on it.

I like the idea about Bash and Perl; however, my environment at this present time is a mixture of Windows and Linux. So, from what has been discribed, I should stick with Python.

Not sure if this is still alive, but is VB Script dead?

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I've seen some really nice VBscripts, so I don't think it's totally dead.

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 04:53 AM

I haven't seen VB script in over 4 years; however, I was over aggressive with stating that is was dead. I just haven't seen it in a while, and didn't know if Microsoft still supported it on Vista/7, etc...

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 05:01 AM

I'm not sure about this one, but is it possible to code anything from VBscript in C#? Not sure why you want to do this since C#, from my understanding is more complicated then VB/VBscript; however, I believe VB is different then C#, so why learn or complicate items, just code in C#.

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I don't know, as I don't know much about VBscript.

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I don't know, as I don't know much about VBscript.
Yeah, same here. My only experience with VBscript is a simple script I copied and pasted to use for mapping network printers, which was about 4-5 years ago.

Not sure if it can be done in C#, and called when a machine boots in Active Directory. I guess this is why we are in tech... A super dynamic field!!!.

Cheers.

samjh
October 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Folks:
I need to add a scripting language to my skill set; however, I am not sure which one to study. I am looking for something that can be used on both: windows and linux for future career goals, and resume needs.

Any suggestions?

Python or Ruby.

Both are available on Windows and Linux (and both are pre-installed on MacOS). Both have mature implementations on .NET (IronPython and IronRuby) and Java (Jython and JRuby) as well.

Both are used for mainstream development, on the client and server. Both enjoy large developer communities, educational and training resources, and a rich variety of third-party libraries.

Both share similar features (interpreted, dynamic and strong typing, object-orientation, functional programming, and high-level data structures). They have difference syntactic styles, but both are quite intuitive, depending on how your brain works.

e24ohm
October 30th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Python or Ruby.

Both are available on Windows and Linux (and both are pre-installed on MacOS). Both have mature implementations on .NET (IronPython and IronRuby) and Java (Jython and JRuby) as well.

Both are used for mainstream development, on the client and server. Both enjoy large developer communities, educational and training resources, and a rich variety of third-party libraries.

Both share similar features (interpreted, dynamic and strong typing, object-orientation, functional programming, and high-level data structures). They have difference syntactic styles, but both are quite intuitive, depending on how your brain works.
I will have to look into Ruby...thanks.

theraje
October 31st, 2010, 07:52 AM
I'm going to deviate a bit from the previous suggestions, and mention JavaScript. JavaScript used to be (and to many, it still is) a dirty word, but with modern browsers working on optimizing its performance, and bringing HTML5 support to the forefront, I have a feeling that JavaScript will become a force to be reckoned with.

These days, HTML5 and JavaScript are poised to topple the Adobe Flash rich internet application stronghold. In fact, I am currently working on an HTML5/JS-based browser game, that I was originally thinking I'd need Flash for. There's even an HTML5 port of Quake II, for Pete's sake! :)

So yeah, just thought I'd mention JavaScript as a possible choice.