PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have their website flagged by McAfee?

diablo75
October 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
A client of mine sent me an email saying when they visited my site some sort of alert popped up from McAfee SiteAdvisor. I just checked their website to see what they have on me and apparently they think my website is "a potential security threat". I have no idea what they base this conclusion upon and they don't get specific at all on their website to inform me what they find to be dangerous. I am going to attempt to contact them directly and figure this out but was wondering if anyone out there has had to go through this kind of thing before.

jbruced
October 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I've got a website at a free host.

i60200nfl.clanteam.com (http://i60200nfl.clanteam.com) and wot(web of trust) shows it as suspicious because of where it's hosted(main domain), not the site itself. Apparently a lot of other websites hosted their are causing the issue for the rest of us.

Easy solution for me is to get a domain name/new hosting solution.

diablo75
October 30th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Doesn't it border on slander to false-positive someones website when they're innocent of any wrong doing? Especially if they're running a business from it? "Oh I didn't look at his service offers because McAfee told me he's dangerous." I could totally see myself losing potential customers because shenanigans like this along with money spent on the advertising it took to get them to visit me in the first place.

Their report for my website contains two main sections:

1. Automated Web Safety Testing Results
- E-mail tests
- Download tests
- Online Affiliations
- Annoyances

2. Reviewer and Web site owner comments

The ONLY category that displays any information is the "Online Affiliations" which states: Linked to green sites. When we visited this site, we found that most of its links are to sites which are safe or have only minor safety/annoyance issues." And then shows a picture of my site linking to other sites like Wikipedia, ubuntu.com, openoffice.org, tigerdirect, and nothing else but more "green" sites.

Everything else is empty or gray (because it's empty).

So, what gives? Where do they get off throwing my website in the red when they can't explain why in clear text?

jbruced
October 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I agree it's totally unfounded.

Sounds like your course of action(to contact McAfee) that you've taken is your only recourse.

3Miro
October 30th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Guilty until proven otherwise. This is one of the huge reasons why I cannot stand AV software and windows in general. This is like when MS used the genuine disadvantage to block the computers of many innocent people due to mistakes that MS did.

BTW you should be able to sue for something like that. Although I guess it depends on the country, in USA and EU you should be able to, I don't know about other countries.

Dr. C
October 30th, 2010, 02:25 AM
The lesson here is to register one's own domain and then host it with a company that does not have a business relationship with the domain registrar. Cost for a .com under US $15 a year. Cost for hosting a basic website may be US $100 a year. Now how much legal expertise can one buy for US $115 to sue McAfee?

corrytonapple
October 30th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I downloaded Flash Player for Windows and even though I unchecked it, it still installed McAfee. I was mad, it began "Scanning" instantly. I could not get it to stop. If I hit stop. It would say Next Scan in 60 seconds and locked up the whole Mcrap program. I had to uninstall it after trying to get to user Control Panel. I also think that they are a complete rip off. I have tried two free AVs and I would both recommend them. One is AVG, and they are pretty good. The next is Linux. I use it every day and I never need to even scan! Also, you could make your site all linux and there would be no issues. But I see that is not possible.... :)

----Now playing: Muse - Uprising (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/muse/track/uprising) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)----