PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Shift Lock (Caps Lock) does not impact top row (number keys)

mbehe
October 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi,
Just installed 10.10 on a HP Compaq nc6400 laptop (including updates).
Keyboard is Belgian, and I selected it as such during install.
I noticed that after pressing 'Shift Lock' (Caps Lock on US kb) the number keys on the top row do not change their behaviour as I would expect.
Expected behaviour after pressing Shift Lock = behave as if Shift key is pressed (is behaviour on all previous OS's I've used (Dos, Windows, VMS, numerous Unix variants)
Actual behaviour: the bottom characters on the keys are shown, with the accented characters (é,è,à) capitalized.
Any ideas on what settings I need to change to get the behaviour I expect?
Thanks

mbehe
October 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Ok, to whom it may concern: found it in the BE-forums.
Need to modify the setting of the caps lock key under system->preferences->keyboard->layouts->options
Option to choose is 'CapsLock toggles Shift so all keys are affected'.

Just in case a developer reads this: Belgian keyboards have a Shift Lock key and not a Caps Lock key.
So this key's default behaviour should be locking the shift key and not locking capitalization of characters.

Anyway thanks to the guys of the BE forum

Omnomnom
October 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info, my friend had a similar problem with tab, I'll be sure to point him here.

stephanvaningen
January 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Please note that this results in a difference of behaviour with the arrow keys compared to windhoze: arrow keys then select text i.o. just moving the cursor. Or can this key behaviour also be disabled on top of the enablement of the number-keys on shift-lock?

Ok, to whom it may concern: found it in the BE-forums.
Need to modify the setting of the caps lock key under system->preferences->keyboard->layouts->options
Option to choose is 'CapsLock toggles Shift so all keys are affected'.

Just in case a developer reads this: Belgian keyboards have a Shift Lock key and not a Caps Lock key.
So this key's default behaviour should be locking the shift key and not locking capitalization of characters.

Anyway thanks to the guys of the BE forum