PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu desktop on netbook

kushanku
October 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Can you install Ubuntu desktop edition on a netbook? Is this advisable?

Thanks

DirtyPC
October 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yes you can, my friend just did this 10 minutes ago, as long if you have at least 1gb of ram

ufugu
October 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Yes! It's just a different interface, and regular old Gnome is just fine on a tiny screen IMHO. 10.10 is happy on my old eee 900.

kushanku
October 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Great, thanks for your help. I am currently running Ubuntu in a virtual machine on my laptop and cannot activate the advanced visual effects. Will I be able to activate these effects running Ubuntu on a netbook?

DirtyPC
October 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Great, thanks for your help. I am currently running Ubuntu in a virtual machine on my laptop and cannot activate the advanced visual effects. Will I be able to activate these effects running Ubuntu on a netbook?
I hope youre not just installing it because of the visuals, you may may/not be able depending on your drivers/hardware. Odds are you will, my friend got it on his samsung NC10 netbook

macem29
October 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
acer aspire one a0a110 netbook, intel graphics, 1 gb ram, 10.04 gnome desktop with full visual effects works fine for me

kushanku
October 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
No, I am just getting into ubuntu and want to make the move from using it in a virtual machine, to having it as my primary operating system. It would be nice to have the visuals though!

ajgreeny
October 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have a standard desktop install of the gnome version on my netbook with 1 GB ram, but have stopped using compiz as it takes too much of the resources, and I find it so much harder to use without a proper mouse as well; middle clicks are a lot more difficult to use compared with pressing the scroll wheel of the mouse, for example, and in all honesty, I don't think it is worth the waste of resources.

Otherwise the standard desktop version runs extremely well.

PS: At the moment I am actually using the rc version of Linux Mint 10, ie ubuntu maverick with the mint extras, simply because I wanted to try it out. So far it is very good, with no unsurmountable problems.

snowpine
October 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Visual effects will work fine on a netbook, if your graphics card is well-supported.

A good resource is this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

Or you can use the Search function on this forum to read about other users' experience with your particular model of netbook.

Many users prefer the Desktop edition to the Netbook edition on a netbook; it is just another option to choose from really...