PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Over heat probem in laptop

saugatad
October 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am using windows vista and ubuntu 10.10 in my laptop. As compared to windows. i found the laptop will get more heater while using ubuntu. I have enable extra graphics on appearances. Is that the reason for it. Is there any solution to reduce the heat of laptop

gordintoronto
October 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
What brand and model of laptop?

E-call
October 30th, 2010, 01:53 AM
i had the same issue running ubuntu on my laptop. I have a dual graphics adapter one for 3d gaming and the other for enhanced battery life. i noticed that when ubuntu was running i would get around 45 minutes of battery life.

I fixed this problem by forcing the computer to use the weaker video card in the bios screen. after the change over i would get anywhere from 2 to 3 hours of battery life and a lot less heat.

it may not be your problem but it sounds like an issue with your video card.

saugatad
October 30th, 2010, 07:06 AM
My laptop is hv pavilion dv6000.

E-call
October 31st, 2010, 03:45 AM
After looking at your specs on your laptop I see that you have an Nvidia graphics card. Specifically a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200, and this may be why your laptop is overheating. Im not sure about a workaround because Nvidia doesn't release drivers for this device for the Linux platform. You may have to do some web searching to see if anyone out there has found something to help with the issue.

hope this helps

saugatad
October 31st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the information . I will search some information on web