PDA

View Full Version : The Cheese Super Thread

forrestcupp
October 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
If I put "Super Thread" in the title, is it guaranteed to automatically take off and have hundreds of pages of replies? :)

Anyway, what's your favorite kind of cheese? I like Colby-Jack.

Really, I just think it's funny when people put "Super Thread" in the title. ;)

NightwishFan
October 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Finlandia Swiss. Most people can't even touch the stuff and at $10USD a pound I do not blame them. :)

whiskeylover
October 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I like lots of cheeses, but I hate American cheese.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Mozzarella string cheese
also
Finlandia Muenster. I use it for sandwiches. Gotta love those thick slices.

Spice Weasel
October 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Love <3

Swiss cheese (big <3 on this one)
Mild cheddar
Red leicester

The only cheeses I dislike are...

Most goats cheese.
Blue cheese.
Strong/mature cheddar.

Living in the UK, I have never experienced the horrors of American cheese.

NightwishFan
October 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
It is sad the worst cheese ever has to be named after America. It is like they were asking for it. :/

+1 to anything Finlandia, and yes you can tell I like cheese. :)

Mr Bean
October 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Gruyère.

Not sure how we could keep this up for a hundred pages ;)

whiskeylover
October 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Also love Paneer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneer). You can find it in most Indian restaurants.

cpmman
October 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Roquefort - incomparable.

Blue Stilton if Roquefort unavailable.

phrostbyte
October 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Gnome Cheese (http://live.gnome.org/Cheese)

whiskeylover
October 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM

It tastes horrible. Maybe because I tried it on a CD. A thumb drive might taste better.

Cuddles McKitten
October 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM

American "cheese" only looks and tastes kind of like cheese. Technically, it isn't actual cheese due to the process used to make it.

As for myself, it'd say it depends on mood. Brie, pepper jack, feta, and cheddar are among my favorites though.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
That's what I thought this thread was about when I clicked on it. I should have known better. :P

forrestcupp
October 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I like lots of cheeses, but I hate American cheese.I love America, but I hate American cheese. :)

Gruyère.

Not sure how we could keep this up for a hundred pages ;)

That was kinda the point. ;)

whiskeylover
October 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I love America, but I hate American cheese. :)

That was kinda the point. ;)

ZOMG! You're one post away from having 1337 beans!

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Sapsago (Schabziger) cheese. Nothing is like that aroma.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM

I agree. "American Cheese" isn't cheese. It is a combination of milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. It looks like cheese, and used in a lot of fast food services. Until I read the ingrediants, I thought it might be made from petroleum, LOL.

98cwitr
October 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Brie and crackers :yum:

NightwishFan
October 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Brie and crackers :yum:

Yes, this.

Random_Dude
October 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM

:lolflag:
Didn't saw that coming.

JDShu
October 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I enjoy eating cottage cheese.

futz
October 30th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Anyway, what's your favorite kind of cheese?
Parmigiano-Reggiano (aka Parmesan). Second choice would be well aged Cheddar. Yum!

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2010, 03:02 AM
ZOMG! You're one post away from having 1337 beans!

That's really weird. I passed 1337 a long time ago. I remember for a long time I was intentionally trying to only post in the discussion forums so I could stay on 1337, then I posted in the Feedback section and ruined it.

I wonder how I lost beans. :confused:

I'd better go make a post somewhere to get back to 1337. :)

Omnomnom
October 30th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Cheddar cheese for life :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 30th, 2010, 03:34 AM
That's really weird. I passed 1337 a long time ago. I remember for a long time I was intentionally trying to only post in the discussion forums so I could stay on 1337, then I posted in the Feedback section and ruined it.

I wonder how I lost beans. :confused:

I'd better go make a post somewhere to get back to 1337. :)

I think that you loose beans if the thread you posted in gets moved from a support forum to some other non-support forum; such as, community cafe, recurring discussions, testimonials & experiences, and the like.

Khakilang
October 30th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I don't really eat cheese but I always say cheese whenever someone want to take a picture of me.

cascade9
October 30th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I like a lot of cheese, but my biggest favourite is Jarlsberg. Norway, you'll almost made up for pickled herring. Now if only the rest opf the places that eat those horrors would do the same....

Though to be honest jarlsberg is too expensive here. I eat a lot more brie, camembert and nice chedder, mainland vintage cheddar....Its really, REALLY good. NZ, you've almost made up for not becoming our 'east islands'. :lolflag:

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I like Colby better than cheddar.

I don't really eat cheese but I always say cheese whenever someone want to take a picture of me.

I think it would be hard to live without cheese. My mother-in-law won't eat cheese. She'll go to a place and eat food that is known for having cheese in it and order it without cheese. But the crazy thing is that she eats macaroni and cheese in about every meal. I guess the powdered stuff doesn't bother her.

JDShu
October 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I like Colby better than cheddar.
I think it would be hard to live without cheese. My mother-in-law won't eat cheese. She'll go to a place and eat food that is known for having cheese in it and order it without cheese. But the crazy thing is that she eats macaroni and cheese in about every meal. I guess the powdered stuff doesn't bother her.

When cheese was first introduced in Hong Kong (and maybe other places?), many people commented that it "tasted like soap". I think now that Asian diets get more Westernized, it has become more accepted.

nubimax
October 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Jarlsberg is my favorite. any well aged strong cheese after that.
M.

MacUntu
October 30th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Emmentaler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmental_(cheese)) or Roquefort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roquefort) for me.

clonne4crw
October 31st, 2010, 04:43 AM
Muenster's my favorite. I love it on sandwiches.

forrestcupp
October 31st, 2010, 11:12 PM
When cheese was first introduced in Hong Kong (and maybe other places?), many people commented that it "tasted like soap". I think now that Asian diets get more Westernized, it has become more accepted.

I take it the Crab Rangoon with cream cheese that they serve at the local Chinese restaurant isn't really a traditional dish, then?

bouncingwilf
October 31st, 2010, 11:30 PM
Gorgonzola piquante, Rochforte or real Stilton

Maybe dolcelatte on a quiet day.

Bouncingwilf

Austin25
October 31st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Muenster cheese.

JDShu
November 1st, 2010, 03:18 AM
I take it the Crab Rangoon with cream cheese that they serve at the local Chinese restaurant isn't really a traditional dish, then?

LOL certainly not. During college, the first week I spent working at a Chinese takeout and somebody ordered a Crab Rangoon I was totally stumped. That said, now that I know what it is, its the first thing I get at a Chinese buffet. Its delicious in all its fatty goodness.

forrestcupp
November 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
LOL certainly not. During college, the first week I spent working at a Chinese takeout and somebody ordered a Crab Rangoon I was totally stumped. That said, now that I know what it is, its the first thing I get at a Chinese buffet. Its delicious in all its fatty goodness.

Crab Rangoon is one of my favorites. I also love General Tso's chicken, which I've heard was actually created in the US and not China.

What's the correct way to pronounce General Tso's? I saw one place that had a sign that said it's pronounced "Cho's". Is that right?

JDShu
November 1st, 2010, 03:55 AM
Crab Rangoon is one of my favorites. I also love General Tso's chicken, which I've heard was actually created in the US and not China.

What's the correct way to pronounce General Tso's? I saw one place that had a sign that said it's pronounced "Cho's". Is that right?

I believe General Tso's chicken is an Americanization of a Taiwanese dish. which originally had a different name. On the other hand, apparently there does exist a Chinese dish called General Tso's chicken that is completely different and can only be found in remote areas of China.

As for pronunciation, who cares? :P The Mandarin pronunciation is Zuo if you want a "right" pronunciation but since we're speaking English, I just say it how I see it.

marshmallow1304
November 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
Swiss and (preferably sharp) cheddar.

cascade9
November 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM

I'm pretty sure I've heard people say that in HK. If they were eating that awful Kraft stuff, I agree, it DOES taste like soap. With a hint of 'rear end' LOL.

rjbl
November 1st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Best cheese in the world? Mrs Smart's Single Gloucester, of course.

rjbl

forrestcupp
November 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
How about Velveeta? :)

With a hint of 'rear end' LOL.

:lol: I don't like that kind of cheese. ;)

mips
November 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
That stuff they call american cheese is definitely not cheese :rolleyes:

I love:
Goat's milk Gorgonzola
Chedder
Gouda
Sweet Milk
Mozarella
Roquefort
Stilton
Ricotta
Danish Feta
Parmesan
Pecorino Romano
Halloumi

I love most cheeses. Also note there is a big difference between a 'good' cheese and a 'cheap' cheese, as with all foods the ingredients are the most important thing.

I'm not very fond of Brie and Camembert though mostly due to the ammonia scent.

Lucretius
November 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
wensleydale or cheshire omnomnomnom

very nice melted on toast

JDShu
November 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
That stuff they call american cheese is definitely not cheese :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I choose "American cheese" quite often when I go to Subway. Somehow, it fits the sandwich.

forrestcupp
November 1st, 2010, 09:55 PM
I have to admit, I choose "American cheese" quite often when I go to Subway. Somehow, it fits the sandwich.

That's what I always used to get, but lately I've been getting the shredded Colby-Jack and having it toasted.

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
What kind of cheese do I like hmm that's a tough one.There's allot of good ones.cant decide!

user1397
November 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
i have a soft spot for french brie

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Since this is a super thread I feel its very important to voice my choice of cheese. Swiss Cheese

JDShu
November 3rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
That's what I always used to get, but lately I've been getting the shredded Colby-Jack and having it toasted.

hmmm I should try that. The Subways I've been to never seem to have anything besides American, Swiss, Monterey Cheddar, and Provolone. At least those are whats on the the little sticker that tells you what you can choose.

forrestcupp
November 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM
hmmm I should try that. The Subways I've been to never seem to have anything besides American, Swiss, Monterey Cheddar, and Provolone. At least those are whats on the the little sticker that tells you what you can choose.

Maybe it's Monterey Cheddar and not Colby-Jack. Whatever it is, it's better than the American cheese.

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cheese sold at Costco in 5 states linked to E. coli. (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/05/cheese.warning/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn)

Spice Weasel
November 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Cheese sold at Costco in 5 states linked to E. coli. (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/05/cheese.warning/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn)

Hint of 'rear end' indeed... :cry:

There needs to be a throwing up smiley.

aeiah
November 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
well it depends. for sandwiches: mature cheddar, mild brie, or camembert. im also a sucker for that processed smoked cheese you can get :P

with crackers, port, and all that stuff (or on a steak):
stilton, saint agur, smelly brie, roquefort

oh, and barbecued halloumi!!!

my girlfriend likes goats cheese but im not a fan.

donkyhotay
November 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM
How in the world has havarti not been listed yet? Absolutely my favorite cheese ever, (perfect for crackers). Of course it needs to be a high-quality havarti to be any good. Second favorite is a well aged cheddar, and I mean *well* aged. I generally buy "extra sharp" cheddar from the store and put it in the back of my fridge (still sealed) and leave it there for about a year or so and let it age even more. Start doing that and you'll have some really good cheese. I've tried making cheese myself but I can't seal it well enough to allow it to age for any decent length of time so it comes out pretty bland.

Gremlinzzz
November 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Change my mine about swiss' The cheese super thread deserves a better selection of cheese so heres a list I'm going though to decide.
http://www.cheese.com/all.asp

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hint of 'rear end' indeed... :cry:

There needs to be a throwing up smiley.

LOL. :lol:

Sxeptomaniac
November 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I agree. "American Cheese" isn't cheese. It is a combination of milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. It looks like cheese, and used in a lot of fast food services. Until I read the ingrediants, I thought it might be made from petroleum, LOL.

My brothers and I have always referred to that stuff as "petroleum byproducts". We knew what real cheese should look and taste like, so we never really considered American "cheese" food, much less actual cheese.

I'm a particular fan of pepper jack, but I buy quite a bit of Monterrey jack as well.

Gremlinzzz
November 5th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Swiss

Gremlinzzz
November 6th, 2010, 02:14 AM
or pizza cheese

forrestcupp
November 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm a particular fan of pepper jack, but I buy quite a bit of Monterrey jack as well.

I haven't thought of pepper jack in a long time. My grandma used to buy it a lot.

How about when you buy a cheap frozen pizza that doesn't have real cheese on it? What is the fake cheese made out of?

donkyhotay
November 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I haven't thought of pepper jack in a long time. My grandma used to buy it a lot.

How about when you buy a cheap frozen pizza that doesn't have real cheese on it? What is the fake cheese made out of?

Not sure, tastes like plastic so I think I'm better off not knowing.

Gremlinzzz
November 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Not sure, tastes like plastic so I think I'm better off not knowing.

I never tried tasting plastic ill take your word on that one.
I mean mozzarella cheese

Helkaluin
November 6th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Give me brie any time.

Gremlinzzz
November 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Government Cheese nicked name Flubber!

RandomJoe
November 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I don't have any one favorite either, depends what I'm eating it with/on.

I guess I'm one of the few that actually do (or at least will admit they do) like American cheese! Not the cheap sandwich singles stuff though, but from the deli.

I also like Havarti, when I'm buying meats and cheeses for lunches I will alternate or mix American and Havarti.

For mac & cheese I like mild cheddar. I'll also sometimes just eat a hunk of cheddar plain, perhaps with crackers.

Of course, mozzarella on pizzas or just mozzarella sticks dipped in sauce. Parmesan on the pizza too, or on pasta (mmm, especially fettuccini alfredo).

Doggone it, now I have to go get dinner...! :D

Gremlinzzz
November 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Cheese Doodles

forrestcupp
November 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I found out that imitation cheese is made out of vegetable oil and casein, which is a protein found in milk. So it's not really made out of the same things as plastic, other than that plastic can be made from canola oil.

ve4cib
November 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I'm a fan of Gouda and Edam myself.

Gremlinzzz
November 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Mini 100% Natural Cheese semi soft cheese the kind thats coated in red wax real good.

forrestcupp
November 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Mini 100% Natural Cheese semi soft cheese the kind thats coated in red wax real good.

Lol. Thanks for helping me keep this thing going. It's a super thread, right?

I don't think anyone said Velveeta yet, did they?

donkyhotay
November 8th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Lol.I don't think anyone said Velveeta yet, did they?

There's a reason for that...

Darth Penguin
November 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not going to read this entire thread, but the weirdest cheese I have ever seen is maggot cheese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

whiskeylover
November 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I'm not going to read this entire thread, but the weirdest cheese I have ever seen is maggot cheese.

OMG! Leaping maggots? I don't think I'll be able to look at cheese the same way ever again after reading that article.

Gremlinzzz
November 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM

The correct name would be cheese maggot since theres more cheese than maggots.I couldn't get drunk enough to eat it.

Dustin2128
November 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Mozzarella

zach33
November 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I don't really like cheese although I can eat it in some things.

NightwishFan
November 9th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I don't really like cheese although I can eat it in some things.

When I say this I am just joking. BLASPHEMY!!! :D

inobe
November 9th, 2010, 02:24 AM
gorgonzola :)

forrestcupp
November 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzuI've seen that before, and that's just wrong. That's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I'm glad I don't know the first person who thought that would be good to eat.

When I say this I am just joking. BLASPHEMY!!! :D
We need to figure out a word that's strong enough to use without having to joke about it.

Anyone who doesn't like cheese needs a serious psychological evaluation, my mother-in-law included. :)

Gremlinzzz
November 9th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Grilled swiss with onion and tomato on rye.

Gremlinzzz
November 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
WORLD'S LARGEST
CHEESE WHEEL
http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainn ameatlonglast.com/largest221.html

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Artist makes sculptures of celebrities from cheese. (http://www.infoniac.com/offbeat-news/artist-makes-sculptures-of-celebrities-from-cheese.html)

http://www.infoniac.com/uimg/dita-von-cheese-sculpture.jpg

whiskeylover
November 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Artist makes sculptures of celebrities from cheese. (http://www.infoniac.com/offbeat-news/artist-makes-sculptures-of-celebrities-from-cheese.html)

That's so... cheesy.

donkyhotay
November 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
That's so... cheesy.

Careful, you may be PUNished for that...

Gremlinzzz
November 11th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Allot can be said about that but I'm not going to be the one to say it.

Gremlinzzz
November 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM
anyone mention cheesy poofs and are they a real product?http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175343&stc=1&d=1289504532

forrestcupp
November 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
anyone mention cheesy poofs and are they a real product?http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175343&stc=1&d=1289504532

This seems to be mostly a dialog between you and me. You must really like cheese. :)

What happened, guys? This is supposed to be a super thread. Why aren't people posting here like crazy? I put "Super Thread" in the title.

mips
November 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cheese sauce recipe:

Melt 2 tbsp butter (not marge) in small pan.
Add 2 tbsp flour and stir.
Slowly add 1 cup full cream milk while stirring.
Add 1 cup mature cheddar cheese (or whatever you prefer but stronger cheeses work better or mix different types) and stir till melted. Can also add more cheese to change consistancy etc, play around. For bigger servings double up on flour & butter. You can also add things like pepper, herbs etc to the sauce.

You don't want the plate too hot else you are going to burn it, medium to low heat so it just bubbles.

This makes for an excellent dip for chips/fries, battered fish balls etc, also good on toast, burgers etc. Uses are endless.

forrestcupp
November 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Cheese sauce recipe:

Add 1 cup mature cheddar cheese (or whatever you prefer but stronger cheeses work better or mix different types) and stir till melted. Can also add more cheese to change consistancy etc, play around. For bigger servings double up on flour & butter. You can also add things like pepper, herbs etc to the sauce.

You don't want the plate too hot else you are going to burn it, medium to low heat so it just bubbles.

This makes for an excellent dip for chips/fries, battered fish balls etc, also good on toast, burgers etc. Uses are endless.

Nice. So you can get by with using cheddar without it being stringy?

mips
November 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Nice. So you can get by with using cheddar without it being stringy?

I've added cheddar, gouda & parmesan and it never gets stringy at all. think it's due to the flour & milk. The flour & butter is essentially a 'Roux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roux)'. The cheese sauce is commonly known as a Mornay sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornay_sauce) in French.

You could also saute some mushrooms and add a bit of white wine that you can add to the cheese sauce to make a cheesy mushroom sauce which is excellent with burgers and stuff like that.

The cheese sauce is extremely simple & quick to make and absolutely delicious. First timers that try it are amazed at the results. If you are making a small portion maybe try a bit less flower&butter as you don't want a flowery consistency.

Me, I just love food & cooking :D

Edit: Just came across this which looks yummy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Brown

Gremlinzzz
November 13th, 2010, 03:36 AM
This is a super thread about cheese?

forrestcupp
November 13th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Edit: Just came across this which looks yummy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_BrownThat does look quite good. That hotel is about 2 hours from where I live.

This is a super thread about cheese?
Yeah. I put "Super Thread" in the title, so it's guaranteed to go on for a minimum of 20 pages. ;)

mips
November 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
That does look quite good. That hotel is about 2 hours from where I live.

Small world. Do they deliver? :D

cascade9
November 13th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Cheese sauce recipe:

Thats fairly similar to my 'easy fondue' version. Just change the order and then change 'milk' to 'wine' or 'beer' or 'cider' (I love cider fondue).

chessnerd
November 13th, 2010, 09:22 AM
When I eat it plain, I really enjoy a slice of Swiss cheese. When on a sandwich, I prefer Cheddar. When on a hamburger, I prefer America.

Spice Weasel
November 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I can't stand Swiss cheese cooked. It really is better by itself.

chessnerd
November 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Agreed. Swiss cheese by itself, directly from the refrigerator, is good. Whenever it is heated it seems to lose a lot of its flavor and completely loses its texture.

forrestcupp
November 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Thats fairly similar to my 'easy fondue' version. Just change the order and then change 'milk' to 'wine' or 'beer' or 'cider' (I love cider fondue).That really sounds nasty to me.

I think I like Swiss better melted on a toasted turkey sandwich.

donkyhotay
November 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Thats fairly similar to my 'easy fondue' version. Just change the order and then change 'milk' to 'wine' or 'beer' or 'cider' (I love cider fondue).

I had that once, didn't really like it. Now the cheese sauce with milk sounds good (gonna try that on my own sometime).

nothingspecial
November 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I`m just enjoying some cornish mature english goats cheese.

Good on it`s own, better in a toastie with spring onions, tomatoes and worcestershire sauce, with hp on the side :)

forrestcupp
November 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I like crumbled feta on a salad.

Gremlinzzz
November 14th, 2010, 12:32 AM
The Cheese Rap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvppFMRy0ZE

Gremlinzzz
November 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Commodity Cheese Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixY43jOxBY

mips
November 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I like crumbled feta on a salad.

We have a local Danish goats milk Feta which is to die for compare to other fetas, a lot smoother & silkier with great taste.

Gremlinzzz
November 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
commodity cheese with frybread

Plumtreed
November 15th, 2010, 01:53 AM
American Cheddar cheese on Apple Pie is good but it is better when done in Canada!

I wonder how you get a web cam to work!

Gremlinzzz
November 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Who would eat Limburger cheese and why?

mips
November 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Who would eat Limburger cheese and why?

Anyone that likes it because it tastes nice to them.

Gremlinzzz
November 16th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Anyone that likes it because it tastes nice to them.
But isn't that the cheese that smells like chit?

johntaylor1887
November 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Limburger or any super sharp cheese.

johntaylor1887
November 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
But isn't that the cheese that smells like chit?

Yes, but once it's melted, it loses the smell. It's simply the creamiest cheese available. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... :)

cascade9
November 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
That really sounds nasty to me.

What sounds nasty? Fondue, or basing it on beer or cider?

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Has anyone mentioned cream cheese? It's good on bagels and in danishes and cheese cake.

But isn't that the cheese that smells like chit?Some people eat tripe and chitlins because they like it, and that actually pretty much is chit. :)

What sounds nasty? Fondue, or basing it on beer or cider?Fondue isn't bad. It sounds really nasty for it to be based on beer or cider.

cascade9
November 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Fondue isn't bad. It sounds really nasty for it to be based on beer or cider.

Its actually very good. I much perfer cider or beer based fondue over wine.

Its probably something that could be done badly with the wrong combonation of cheese and cider/beer, but with the rigth stuff its fantastic. Cheddar works well with both beer and cider. ;)

forrestcupp
November 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Its actually very good. I much perfer cider or beer based fondue over wine.

Well, I guess I've never had real fondue, then. Wine sounds nasty, too. I don't really think it sounds good to have any alcohol mixed in my cheese sauce.

cascade9
November 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Well, I guess I've never had real fondue, then. Wine sounds nasty, too. I don't really think it sounds good to have any alcohol mixed in my cheese sauce.

Most of the alcohol gets boiled off in the cooking process. Well, with beer and cider it does, with wine there tends to be a bit more of an alcolhol taste, but its still not that strong.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Most of the alcohol gets boiled off in the cooking process. Well, with beer and cider it does, with wine there tends to be a bit more of an alcolhol taste, but its still not that strong.

I don't like most food I've had cooked with alcohol, like Beef Burgundy or Chicken Marsala. One thing I do like is beer brats.

Gremlinzzz
November 19th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Goat cheese' aren't the goats a little small to be getting milk from?

cascade9
November 19th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I don't like most food I've had cooked with alcohol, like Beef Burgundy or Chicken Marsala. One thing I do like is beer brats.

I dont eat red meat at all, and normally the smell of cookign meat makes me sick. The times when I've smelt Beef Burgundy its beenm the wine smell that I dislike more than the meat smell. I'm not sure I've eaten Chicken Marsala, but if I'm right I did have some several years ago and it was awful as well.

If you like beer brats you would probabyl like beer based fondue. As logn as you dont pu to much beer in, its fairly subtle (ohh, and dont use stout...IMO anyway. Its way to strong and doesnt combine well with cheese. I use larger). BTW, you can make it in very small quantities- I've made beer based fondue in protions that wouldnt even fill one person.

Goat cheese' aren't the goats a little small to be getting milk from?

Nope. If it was rat milk, you might have a point.

Gremlinzzz
November 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Bumpy Cheese!

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Nope. If it was rat milk, you might have a point.

Lol. That reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Bart found out the Mafia was supplying the town with milk from thousands of rats. :)

Gremlinzzz
November 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM
In general, cheese supplies a great deal of calcium, protein, phosphorus and fat. A 30-gram (1.1 oz) serving of Cheddar cheese contains about 7 grams (0.25 oz) of protein and 200 milligrams of calcium. Nutritionally, cheese is essentially concentrated milk: it takes about 200 grams (7.1 oz) of milk to provide that much protein, and 150 grams (5.3 oz) to equal the calcium.[18]

Cheese potentially shares other nutritional properties of milk. The Center for Science in the Public Interest describes cheese as America's number one source of saturated fat, adding that the average American ate 30 lb (14 kg) of cheese in the year 2000, up from 11 lb (5 kg) in 1970.[19] Their recommendation is to limit full-fat cheese consumption to 2 oz (57 g) a week. Whether cheese's highly saturated fat actually leads to an increased risk of heart disease is called into question when considering France and Greece, which lead the world in cheese eating (more than 14 oz/400 g a week per person, or over 45 lb/20 kg a year) yet have relatively low rates of heart disease.[20] This seeming discrepancy is called the French paradox; the higher rates of consumption of red wine in these countries is often invoked as at least a partial explanation.

Some studies claim that cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss and American cheeses can help to prevent tooth decay.[21][22] Several mechanisms for this protection have been proposed:

* The calcium, protein, and phosphorus in cheese may act to protect tooth enamel.
* Cheese increases saliva flow, washing away acids and sugars.
so cheese is good for ya!

cascade9
November 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Cheese potentially shares other nutritional properties of milk. The Center for Science in the Public Interest describes cheese as America's number one source of saturated fat, adding that the average American ate 30 lb (14 kg) of cheese in the year 2000, up from 11 lb (5 kg) in 1970.[19] Their recommendation is to limit full-fat cheese consumption to 2 oz (57 g) a week. Whether cheese's highly saturated fat actually leads to an increased risk of heart disease is called into question when considering France and Greece, which lead the world in cheese eating (more than 14 oz/400 g a week per person, or over 45 lb/20 kg a year) yet have relatively low rates of heart disease.[20] This seeming discrepancy is called the French paradox; the higher rates of consumption of red wine in these countries is often invoked as at least a partial explanation.

OK, if your going to post what is obviously a copy n paste job, a link is always nice IMO.

2 oz a week? LOL, I wonder what they recommend for alcohol intake (1 standard drink a year? On at least 5 different days, you cant have that much at once) or junk food intake (1/4 of a burger once a year)?

I cant say much for greece, but I have heard from various soruces that the french are far more active than peopple in the US, UK, Canada, NZ or australia. I'd be willing to bet that the extra physical activity counts at least as much as red wine, and I'd guess it helps a lot more than wine.

But I guess that telling people to get of thier @$^@$^ butts and do some exercise is a lot more unpalatable (and 'unsellable') than a magic bullet with added alcohol content.

Lol. That reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Bart found out the Mafia was supplying the town with milk from thousands of rats. :smile:

Thats what I was thinking off....rat milk, eugh, I'd rather drink mole milk :P

forrestcupp
November 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Come on, guys. We should be way past 20 pages by now because I put "Super Thread" in the title.

CoffeeRain
December 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Gjetost!!! :) Does anyone know of this?

Linuxratty
December 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
goats cheese.Yup,love it.

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Is it similar to feta?

keithpeter
December 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hello All

Staffordshire Blue, bought from a market stall in Stafford, and served with crusty bread, thin sliced red onion, and a decent port.

Happy Christmas.

Dry Lips
December 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Is it similar to feta?

Nope, it's made of the sugary part of the milk. Think of it as "milk sausage".
Imagine a very aromatic toffee and you're close.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gjetost

xamalater
December 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Limburger cheese is not too bad once you get past the smell.

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM
Limburger cheese is not too bad once you get past the smell.

You shouldn't have to "get past the smell" with anything that you put in your mouth. :)

CoffeeRain
December 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Nope, it's made of the sugary part of the milk. Think of it as "milk sausage".
Imagine a very aromatic toffee and you're close.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gjetost

Yeah, it's like cheese caramel. :)

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, it's like cheese caramel. :)

Sounds pretty awesome. I wonder if there's anywhere in the U.S. that you can buy it.

blackbird34
December 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM
I see you've revived your cheese thread forrestcupp ;)

Nothing like french cheeses. When you try "tarte au reblochon" (reblochon is a cheese from the Savoy Alps) you'll see.
Or goat's cheese with honey, on some nice bread, a minute or two in the oven.

mips
December 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
I just purchased about 1.5kg of Mozzarella as I have to make pizza for a lot of people tomorrow and with one oven it's going to be a slog :sad:

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
I see you've revived your cheese thread forrestcupp ;)

I actually am not the one who revived it. I just referred to it in another thread. :)

CoffeeRain
December 21st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Sounds pretty awesome. I wonder if there's anywhere in the U.S. that you can buy it.

Of course! I'm from the USA, and I think the brand here is called Ski Queen. It's not too hard to find. You could probably get it on the internet too. :)