PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help With Compiz

TheZorch
October 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi, I've installed Xubuntu 10.10 on my old PC and I'd like to get Compiz working. I have a vision problem and I've found its desktop zoom and color inversion plugins to be rather helpful.

I am using Xubuntu. My computer is a custom build PC with a 1.2GHz AMD Athlon XP, 1GB of PC2700 RAM, 8x AGP Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 card w/256MB DDR-RAM, IDE 160GB hard drive, Sound Blaster Live 5.1, and 16x DVD-RW.

Has anyone gotten Compiz to work with XFCE and how can I get this to work? I'm very new to this so please help.

gordintoronto
October 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
You might give Lubuntu a try.

hhh
October 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I've never used Xubuntu, but I do have an aptosid setup using Xfce and Compiz on another partition and I've installed Compiz on other Xfce partitions I've had on my computer.

You should be able to get it going, though the Nvidia 5 series uses a legacy driver. That's the main thing, has Xubuntu prompted you to install the proprietary driver, and did it install successfully? If so, procede by installing Compiz by running the following in a terminal...
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk
You may need to modify your xorg.conf file, see this...
http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz

Then start Compiz by opening the Run dialog (Alt+F2) and running this...
compiz --replace

If all is well then add compiz --replace to your startup applications.

Post back with questions and/or if you have success. Hope that helps.