PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu does not boot

JTU50
October 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I am totally new to Ubuntu. I am trying to install Ubuntu Server 10.10 on an old Compaq 700mHz with a 30GB HD, and at least 1MB RAM (dopn't remember exact amount). Downloaded iso file, extracted, burned to CD and installed from CD. All seemed to go well. When machine went to reboot after installation all I get is a flashing cursor " _ ". Tried repair broken install from CD - doesn't find anything wrong. Add'l info, computer has IDE drive, yet when I try to list files (ls) after booting from CD all that is listed are sda drives. Only thing I couldn't do was set up network - need to get a new NIC.

Suggestions please.

Jeff

peyre
October 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
First thought, why not try a desktop version of Ubuntu? You could even try a lightweight version like Xubuntu or even Lubuntu (though Lubuntu 10.10 makes Wine crash on my system). If you're new to Ubuntu, a GUI might help lower the learning curve--but more importantly, you might have success with a desktop version if the server version is choking on you.

avtolle
October 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I am totally new to Ubuntu. I am trying to install Ubuntu Server 10.10 on an old Compaq 700mHz with a 30GB HD, and at least 1MB RAM (dopn't remember exact amount). Downloaded iso file, extracted, burned to CD and installed from CD. All seemed to go well. When machine went to reboot after installation all I get is a flashing cursor " _ ". Tried repair broken install from CD - doesn't find anything wrong. Add'l info, computer has IDE drive, yet when I try to list files (ls) after booting from CD all that is listed are sda drives. Only thing I couldn't do was set up network - need to get a new NIC.

Suggestions please.

Jeff
Well, if you indeed extracted from the iso then that is likely part of the problem. Just burn as an image without extraction, and give it another try.

JTU50
October 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I used the wrong terminology re extracting. After downloading the iso, I used program called ImageBurn to burn image to disk and used that to install - which did seem to go as it was supposed to - it booted, from cd, gave messages as installation proceded, etc.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Are you expecting a GUI interface? You can install a GUI interface on the Server with one of the following commands. With a 700mHz processor, I would recommend XFCE or LXDE.

For Gnome use

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

For KDE use

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

For LXDE use

sudo apt-get install lxde

For XFCE use

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

peyre
October 30th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Are you expecting a GUI interface?

A "GUI interface"? Isn't that redundant? :D

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 30th, 2010, 03:46 AM
A "GUI interface"? Isn't that redundant? :D

Yes, it is.

JTU50
October 31st, 2010, 03:20 AM
No, I'm not expecting a GUI. But I get no response from trying any command. In fact, I don't even get a login prompt on boot, just a blinking line as noted in prior post.