PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What are the templates and public folders for?

MechaMechanism
October 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
The public and templates folders are just sitting there doing nothing. What are they used for? I would like to put them to use, any ideas.

3Miro
October 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I think some programs may use them for default places to store files, however, you apperantly don't use any programs that do that. They are just empty folders, put whatever files you want in them, or delete them (make sure they are empty first, check for hidden files too, with Ctr + H). I have never used them.

Morbius1
October 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
"public" is actually used by an application called "Simple File Sharing". It's disabled by default and even when enabled it doesn;t work very well. It uses Apache and avahi to share files.

Templates is an absolute jewel of a directory.

Let me give you an example of how you would use it:
Open gedit
Immediately save it as "gedit.txt" to /home/your_user_name/Templates
Then close gedit

Now right click on an open space of your desktop and select "Create Document". You will notice that you have "gedit" available. If you select that then you will have a blank "gedit.txt" file on your desktop.

You can put all sorts of things in there - any kind of blank OpenOffice document or template for example.

ufugu
October 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Thank you! I always just ignored it, but that is brilliant.

tgm4883
October 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Yep, i've done that with an openoffice doc as well

tgm4883
October 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
"public" is actually used by an application called "Simple File Sharing". It's disabled by default and even when enabled it doesn;t work very well. It uses Apache and avahi to share files.

Open gedit
Then close gedit

Now right click on an open space of your desktop and select "Create Document". You will notice that you have "gedit" available. If you select that then you will have a blank "gedit.txt" file on your desktop.

You can put all sorts of things in there - any kind of blank OpenOffice document or template for example.

Also, it's worth noting that the documents don't have to be blank. If you save the template document with something in it, then every time you right click to create the new document it will contain whatever is in the template file. It's great if you want to have a template for certain doc types (cover letter, python script, accounting balance sheet, etc)

MechaMechanism
October 30th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Open gedit
Then close gedit

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a whole bunch. :)

vinodhkumarsampath
November 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Open gedit
Then close gedit

very informative information
<snip>

oldos2er
November 18th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Closed, please don't bump old threads.