PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can not login after upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10

awinw
October 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM
My other PC was upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 yesterday online.
immediately after upgrading, while re-starting
I can not see login window,
always a text screen with "tty1"
awin-desktop: login:
password:
when I login and give the password
there is "Welcome to Ubuntu 10.10"
but then "awin-desktop: ~$ "

and then I can NOT get out of this "terminal" tty1
and can NOT login to desktop

P.S. previously, my 10.04 works quite well.
when starting 10.04,
computer will automatically skip the tty1 screen
and go to normal login window. but not now

what is wrong? please help, with thanks

mightysween
November 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
There are a few other threads on this issue offering various suggestions, depending on your particular situation...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ubuntu+studio+10.10+login+tty1#hl=en&q=+site:ubuntuforums.org+ubuntu+studio+10.10+login +tty1&sa=X&ei=NXvQTJ_FEYK78gbk_6CmBw&ved=0CBgQrQIwAA&fp=ddfbf15c2e2f4021

On my particular system the problem was related to my video driver settings (Nvidia)and the solution was as simple as completely deleting my xorg.conf file with this command:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

...followed by a reboot.

This forced my video back to the default mode, and I was able to then reinstall the latest Nvidia driver and correctly configure it. The computer now boots correctly as it had in 10.04 previously.

awinw
November 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
There are a few other threads on this issue offering various suggestions, depending on your particular situation...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ubuntu+studio+10.10+login+tty1#hl=en&q=+site:ubuntuforums.org+ubuntu+studio+10.10+login +tty1&sa=X&ei=NXvQTJ_FEYK78gbk_6CmBw&ved=0CBgQrQIwAA&fp=ddfbf15c2e2f4021

On my particular system the problem was related to my video driver settings (Nvidia)and the solution was as simple as completely deleting my xorg.conf file with this command:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

...followed by a reboot.

This forced my video back to the default mode, and I was able to then reinstall the latest Nvidia driver and correctly configure it. The computer now boots correctly as it had in 10.04 previously.
-----------------------------
In my scenario, firstly I failed to login after upgrading to ubuntu 10.10,
but only able to go to terminal tty1 in recovery mode

secondly, I re-installed my previous 10.04,

thus, my question:

How can I know this " /etc/X11/Xorg.conf " belongs to the failed ubuntu 10.10?
I am afraid of deleting the file in my newly re-installed 10.04.
thanks